Introduce Yourself (2 Viewers)

Botch

Community Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow racing enthusiasts!

I am 41, love racing sims, and have put this off for way too long. I would very much like to join a mature, like-minded community to race with and against! I am currently spending almost all of my time playing PC2, but have spent many seasons racing GT3 in iRacing. I am currently looking to join a league that exclusively races GT3 in PC2. I race in VR, prefer clean racing above all, actively use Discord and looking for any assistance in getting started asap!

Edit: I should mention I own literally every other racing title on PC. If you have an active GT3 league, and are looking for someone who will be there in all senses of the word, let me know! (Eastern Standard Time)

Last edited:

txpdy

Community Member
Reaction score
Hello to all on here,

A little about me. I'm fairly new to this world of sim racing but having been obsessed with motor racing of all kinds since a kid and even ventured into the world of karting for a while (but with limited funds and unwilling parents that was short lived), it seems like an obvious world for me to be part of.

I've had limited exposure to sim racing apart from a few PC games or phone games (Real Racing 3 anyone) however I've completed my education, built my career and I'm moving into a new home soon and now it's time for some "me" time.

So here I am, a guy in his 40s using tech to satisfy my desire to race. With this new home comes a lot more space and I'm planning on assembling a decent rig to allow me to spend some quality time building my racing knowledge and experience, getting to know some of you guys and having some fun along the way. Who knows I might even make some friends too.

I also going to document it all, write about my experiences on a blog and hopefully inspire a few more to get into this wonderful world. So you can expect lots of silly posts and questions from me over time, feel free to tell me to sod off

My aim is to do the Le Mans 24 hour but I know this will take some time, patience and a fairly steep learning curve.

I'm looking forward to racing with and against you guys. So let's see where this journey goes.

Last edited:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
@txpdy Welcome to the club! What game(s) are you planning to go for? pCARS2, Assetto Corsa (Competizione), rFactor2, or even iRacing?
Just asking, because your goal for the 24h Le Mans, will be limited to rFactor2 or iRacing ;)

txpdy

Community Member
Reaction score
@txpdy Welcome to the club! What game(s) are you planning to go for? pCARS2, Assetto Corsa (Competizione), rFactor2, or even iRacing?
Just asking, because your goal for the 24h Le Mans, will be limited to rFactor2 or iRacing ;)

Hey Shepard,

Thanks for the message.

I'd say I'll start low and build my way up. Get experience with the whole setup, car handling, even tweaking and improving my planned rig at home. So initially I'll look at Assetto Corsa and go from there.

I have looked at rf2 and iRacing so just seeing which one is better atm. They both have pros and cons. I might even race on both and see how I how I go.

What ones do you race on?

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. I am doing pCARS and rFactor2. I tried AC as a reserve in one of the league races, but as I don't have the time to prepare for three different games properly, I am not into it at the moment. ACC is also round the corner, and I am looking forward to have a proper league there after release.

txpdy

Community Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable. I am doing pCARS and rFactor2. I tried AC as a reserve in one of the league races, but as I don't have the time to prepare for three different games properly, I am not into it at the moment. ACC is also round the corner, and I am looking forward to have a proper league there after release.

I was looking at pCARS there and it's impressive. I especially like the whole opportunity to go for the competitive racing license as a measurement of your skill and experience. It's a good metric to measure against when racing over time and to track your progress

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I was looking at pCARS there and it's impressive. I especially like the whole opportunity to go for the competitive racing license as a measurement of your skill and experience. It's a good metric to measure against when racing over time and to track your progress
It's shit acutally...You can boost it artificially by going side by side at 60kph for a whole race, and you get deducted points when you get punted by others... It's helpful to keep rammers of your lobbies, once you gained some ranks, but that's it I guess and in league races we have this disabled anyways.

txpdy

Community Member
Reaction score
It's shit acutally...You can boost it artificially by going side by side at 60kph for a whole race, and you get deducted points when you get punted by others... It's helpful to keep rammers of your lobbies, once you gained some ranks, but that's it I guess and in league races we have this disabled anyways.

Handy to know. Thanks

Ricardo

Staff Assetto Corsa
#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I'd say I'll start low and build my way up. Get experience with the whole setup, car handling, even tweaking and improving my planned rig at home. So initially I'll look at Assetto Corsa and go from there.
Hey welcome to RSR
We have a new season on Assetto Corsa starting very soon, take a look here

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
re. which sim to drive, it's going to come down to what you want from the sim ultimately.

Largest roster of officially licensed circuits and cars, full day/night transition, full range of weather, dirt racing ---> Project CARS 2
Low cost of entry, large selection of mods, detail physics and tyre modelling, driver swaps for endurance racing, weather, day/night transition ---> rFactor 2
Low cost of entry, large selection of mods, day/night transition ----> Assetto Corsa
100% laser-scanned circuits, dedicated servers, erm, somebody help me out with any other positives please (I'm biased, I can't stand it) ----> iRacing

On the downside, each of the sims has their own drawbacks:

pCARS2 has arguably the weakest MP code (but a lot of that could be the reliance on Steam and the P2P nature, even with dedicated servers. And I say "arguably" because it seems to be all that people argue about). Not all of the circuits are laser-scanned but all of the circuits new to pCARS2 from pCARS1 are either laser or drone scanned, with the addition of laserscanning for Nürburgring and Nordschleife. A lot of the other circuits are pretty accurate but there are some that are less than accurate. Not every car is modelled meticulously. Aero push is a concern but this is an area that is arguably almost impossible to get right on home PCs. Water build-up can also be unrealistic where in the real world a race would be stopped. Audio quality varies from excellent to "so-so"

rFactor2 largely depends on the quality of the mods available for it. There is precious little high-quality official content available. It is still being supported and worked on, with new cars and circuits being added. Official DLC content isn't cheap compared to pCARS2 or AC but is cheap compared to iRacing. Audio varies from very bad to good.

AC, like rFactor2, depends on the quality of the mods available for it. It has the weakest tyre and physics model of all of the major sims (that is not up for debate, that is quantifiable fact). Mods are required to enable day/night transition and this is still work-in-progress (though nobody can deny it is impressive work thus far). Audio varies from bad to good.

iRacing is the most expensive of the sims due to the subscription model. On the plus side, that provides continuous development but the moment you stop paying, the game stops working for you. Cars and circuits are the most expensive of all the racing sims. Audio is passable. Online races are far from immune from "idiots".

I have driven pCARS2 (extensively), AC, rFactor2 and iRacing. They each have their pros and cons and ultimately, as I said at the start, it comes down to what you want. If your ultimate goal is to do 24-hour races of Le Mans, in a large grid of cars, iRacing and rFactor2 are your only options right now and, of those two, iRacing has a laser-scanned circuit. Personally, I derived the most pleasure from driving in pCARS2 and rFactor2 because these were the two sims that 'reacted' to the way I drove, rather than the sim relying on my learning how the sim wanted me to drive (ala iRacing and AC). That said, I haven't touched any of them for 6 months (at least) so my views are 'historic' as well as personal. The one thing you will find is that if you ask 100 people for their opinions on a sim, you will get 100 different answers. Wait for each of them to come up in a sale and try them out. AC, rF2, pCARS2 regularly pop up in Steam sales and iRacing often do special offers so that you can try it out for a month,

JackGame88

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello to everyone - I'm a 30 y.o. sim racing casual player, although I've been playing racing games for about 20 years. Recently I've been practising in PC2 and F1 2018 on xbox and decided to join this community to get more fun out of these games. Apart from a small episode, I don't have much experience in online racing, but hey, better late than never! I'm looking forward to race with you!

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hello to everyone - I'm a 30 y.o. sim racing casual player, although I've been playing racing games for about 20 years. Recently I've been practising in PC2 and F1 2018 on xbox and decided to join this community to get more fun out of these games. Apart from a small episode, I don't have much experience in online racing, but hey, better late than never! I'm looking forward to race with you!
welcome bud we are a pc only sim racing league so if your on pc welcome and have fun if not stick around you may find some others on a console..

JackGame88

Community Member
Reaction score
welcome bud we are a pc only sim racing league so if your on pc welcome and have fun if not stick around you may find some others on a console..
my bad, I was too excited and I've missed the most important bit! By now I don't have any sims on my pc, but maybe I'll come back one day!

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hey guys, im Marco.
Active on Iracing since January, trying to climb up the ladder :D, 24years old, from Germany.
Welcome Marco! Take a look around. I'm sure you will find some good team races in our iRacing section.

Bailey8443261

Community Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My Name is Bailey,, i am an ex RAF Aircraft engineer now employed in Saudi Arabia,, which explains my overly large ping, i have been into racing game my whole life but i am new to online simracing. I am not trying to make a career out of this and i will try to stay out of the way but i am just here to have a good time. i play anything TBH.

Cheers

R1Bloke

Community Member
Reaction score
I’m going to keep this short and sweet:
48, UK based, Xbox racer. Recently moved from Forza to PC2, via PC1. Only just started online racing and enjoying it a little too much.
I’m looking to get more consistent and faster and join a league. Particularly enjoying the GT3’s at the moment.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I’m going to keep this short and sweet:
48, UK based, Xbox racer. Recently moved from Forza to PC2, via PC1. Only just started online racing and enjoying it a little too much.
I’m looking to get more consistent and faster and join a league. Particularly enjoying the GT3’s at the moment.
Welcome to RSR, Unfortunately we do not provide Xbox leagues, we are a PC based community. however, should you make your way to racing on PC please feel free to join our events :)

SGTsimo

Community Member
Reaction score
Just joined a day or 2 ago.
About me, 50 years old (2 days ago, and still cant accept it).
Live the NE of the UK.
Been into sim racing for many years, although only just started to take it more seriously in the last year or so, having bought an Accuforce v2 steering wheel, Fanatec v3 pedals and hand brake and just gone full motion with an SFX100.
At the moment I only play AC, Pcars2, Dirt Rally 1 and ACC (pre-release).
Oh, and I only play in VR.

Users who are viewing this thread