16th Apr 2017 - Formula Three Five (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What's your world movement setting mo? I remember this being a problem, not sure if 100 or 0 is the solution though :) I'll check mine later
Thanx, would appreciate if you check as well.

I have to say it does feel like it's simulated really well. When coming down to Aqua Minerale, the car is bouncing a little bit, which fuzzes your view and makes it a little bit more difficult to judge the right hand corner. I can remember this very well from the video's of the late 80's and 90's (although the chicane was there back then) that the cars were also bouncing and the camera lost a little bit of focus.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Warning to Rift users... :wtf:

These settings work well for me.
Capture.PNG

Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa are awful for this, you don't get a slider, just 'lock to horizon' or 'lock to cockpit'. Dirt Rally is especially rough :hungover:

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
After hours of training and computation, I've setup this very elaborated strategy, with three stages, I will attempt to apply for the whole race:
-Don't spin.
-Don't spin.
-Don't spin.

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
i think you forgot the secret 4th step to victory:
-Don't spin XDDD
Yeah, and the second secret one: Don't miss out the race, as it is 30 mins earlier than usual :p

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sorry for leaving the server early, I forgot about the lag.
My goal was not to crash the car too early - not achieved. :(
Next time will be another chance :)

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Almost an hour into el solo commentary and my PC crashes. :banghead: Can't even see the footage I had done because it corrupted. I did learn I definitely need a co-commentator next time though. :p Sorry guys.

I'm off to bed now for some much needed sleep.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
My first race in the Oculus was a really nice experience! It was so awesome but I am still a little bit unsafe because everything is new to me. My pace suffered definitely but who cares if the fun factor is x10 :)

I also have to apologize to @atmosfearic34 and @Plama. If I remember correctly I hit both of you at one point and I am sorry for that. It is a completely different thing driving with the rift, judging corners and other cars. It is a bad excuse, I am sorry guys :(

For my race, I started with the steering ratio bug. Had to move my wheel like 400° to the left to make a corner... A result of that was me spinning on lap 3 or 4 in the last turn and lost a wheel. Once in the pits, I could not do anything. Then I remembered @MelBonkers advise that you need the XBox Controller, otherwise you can not change/select anything in the pit menu. So I took off my rift off and went for a little search, 30 seconds later I actually found the controller, cheers!

In the end, I had a nice battle with @The Wayfaerer for position 9. To all my luck I lost control of my car on the last lap first turn. So P10 in the end but it feels like a victory with the Oculus Rift :)

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
Well unfortunately for the 3rd time in 4 races Project cars ended my race prematurely (4 if you count the qual d/c ) i put in a 26.7 in qually just before the disconnect and im sure there was another half a sec on the table given more time, After that i decided i would start on a full tank and record the race and also sacrifice some fps but it turned out to be a bit to much and i struggled a bit with some stuttering throughout the race. But starting from the back was fun and i enjoyed trying to come through the field. I got tapped in the first few laps by someone which bent my steering but i thought i could deal with it so carried on. I could feel the tyres going off by about lap 16-18 i think so decided to pit but the pit crew didn't put the extra fuel i wanted to go upto the 134L required. So i knew i would have to pit again (ill have to make various put strats in future) then i probably started pushing a bit to hard trying to make up the time i knew i would loose with the extra stop and had a few silly half spins, one of which put me in the wall and really ruined the steering so i pitted and then i tried to change the strategy but project cars would not let me click anything so i was stuck in the pits unable to do anything. Anyway here is my recording and despite the problems I really enjoyed the race.

Last edited:

Stocky

Community Member
Reaction score
I saw a post from Mel, and this should also be informative for Today as well.
Locking to the horizon (0%) is best for VR.

If you use other views besides in car camera, I suggest 10%. I happen to use 10% for all views myself.

These links are about VR and world movement only.
http://www.paradigmshiftracing.com/r...-how-to-fix-it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHHx9qQkYvY
Also, here is a link for some great VR covers.
https://vrcover.com/

Last by not least, here is additional info for adjusting your HUD in VR along with other Open VR settings in PCars.

These were the only 3 instructions available for the openvrsettings & oculusvrsettings file.

These files are under Documents/Project Cars.

1) Play with the ingame HUD adjustments, it's pretty cool what you can do.
2) I made my reticule disappear when I move my mouse for 4 hours, by setting the pointerswitchtime to 14400. It does come back when you switch menus. (see below)
3) I made it so the reticule wouldn't select anything by accident, by setting the pointertriggertime to -1. (see below)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

Ingame (Pcars)

On track pause the game and choose 'Edit HUD layout':

The HUD adjustment runs in one of two modes - movement and rotation / scale. Num-Pad 0 toggles between these modes.

In movement mode the controls are as follows (numpad)
4 & 6: move left and right
1 & 3: move left and right slowly
8 & 2: move up and down
7 & 9: move up and down slowly
+ & -: move back and forth
/ & *: move back and forth slowly
5: resets position to the default

In rotation / scale mode the controls are as follows (numpad)
4 & 6: rotate left and right
8 & 2: rotate up and down
1 & 3: rotate anti-clockwise / clockwise
+ & -: scale the HUD bigger and smaller
/ & *: scale the HUD bigger and smaller slowly
5: resets rotation and scale to the default

NOTE: #5 resets the HUD settings to pre patch11 default, which was non-angled. To reset to angled default use values mentioned below.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________

To disable 'gaze and hold' trigger:

<prop name="PointerTriggerTime" data="-1" />

- prevents triggering anything accidentally just by looking at them
- you can still select objects with gaze but to trigger them you have to use controller

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

Change the time it takes for gaze recticle to reappear after losing focus to other controllers:

<prop name="PointerSwitchTime" data="10" />

- to make the pointer go away "for indefinitely" use a big number
- reticle always comes back when coming back to main menu from the track
- invalid values get reset to default (10)
- value is in seconds

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

To not to lose the focus with gaze:

<prop name="PointerSwitchShortTime" data="-1" />

- in effect overrides the joystick control in menu item selection and keeps the reticle visible all times
- does not work well with scroll lists such as track and car selection

You might want to move this post to a VR/Tech forum, if you have one.

Last edited:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
This is fully personal preference but I'd not suggest locking the view to the horizon, i.e. low world movement settings.

Try Cadwell Park in an Ariel atom with view locked to the horizon and try not to puke after 2 laps. ;)

Edit: the rest is pretty neat info though :)

Last edited:

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
That was my second race in two weeks where I could seriously fight for the podium. What a race! I had a very good qualifying run and got 6th place. I even could improve my time from my practise run a day earlier. The car felt really good if only I had upped the front tire pressures by 0.1 for the race.

I had a good start and could stay very close to falcon. Was in P5 for the first couple of laps and then Battenberg and later today span and I drove in P3. Meanwhile I had Feanor trailing me with a couple of seconds until lap 20 when I decided to pit as my front tires were destroid (I had to up the tire pressures BEFORE race start ;-) ). Coming into the pits with an XBox One controller that's off is just............PEEEEEP. I then had to use mouse and the gaze to select option of the Oculus to sort my pitstop strategy. All in all I lost an extra 10 seconds for sure while waiting for my cup of tea and biscuits as my pitcrew was still boiling the water for the tea.

When I resumed the race, Feanor was about 5-6 seconds in front of me. I could close the gap to him and our battle from lap 28 to lap 34. We touched at the Variante Alta and from then on I couldn't challenge for P3 anymore. I closed the gap a little bit, but in the end my front tires were destroid and I had to nurse the car to the finish in P4. Finishing with that elegant pirouette AFTER s/f (1h42m40s) was a great way to end this race ;-)

All in all the race was amazing. I had so much fun and Feanor deserved the podium (and I'm still gutted I didn't make it ;-) ).

I learned a couple of things this race:
- Fire my English pit crew and plug my XBox One controller with a USB-cable for the next race.
- When using DRS, the light has the following meaning: light on = DRS on, light off = DRS = off. I only realised this until lap 10 or so as I confused DRS for KERS and was thinking it had to charge until the light was on and then I could press it to use it......yeah, I know stupid indeed.
- I will practise more and more on my lines through the apexes. In the battle and with bad tires I missed the apexes quite a lot and hearing @ramiboo saying: "If only he got the apexes right, he could be even faster". My front tire pressures were too low. In the first couple of laps I had massive grip, but this declined quite rapidly as I was eating front tires. But still, I will practise more to improve on my lines and try to become faster.
- I will do my best next race not to be looking around to the laptimings, positions and DRS light ALL the time in the race ;-).

In the end I was thrilled I could "hold" on to falcon for the first couple of laps of the race, fend off Feanor for the first part of the race and battle with Feanor for the second part of the race.

This was fun and I can't wait for the Formula Rookie race this Thursday!

EDIT: BTW the simulation of locking the tires and loosing grip later in the race was really really good. The FFB was quite heavy turning in a corner, but as soon as the wheels locked or I lost grip, the steering became light. This helped me identify the moments that I was going over the grip threshold and helped me nurse the tires even more.

Here's my video of the race.

Last edited:

GosuNoob

Community Member
Reaction score
Well unfortunately for the 3rd time in 4 races Project cars ended my race prematurely (4 if you count the qual d/c ) i put in a 26.7 in qually just before the disconnect and im sure there was another half a sec on the table given more time, After that i decided i would start on a full tank and record the race and also sacrifice some fps but it turned out to be a bit to much and i struggled a bit with some stuttering throughout the race. But starting from the back was fun and i enjoyed trying to come through the field. I got tapped in the first few laps by someone which bent my steering but i thought i could deal with it so carried on. I could feel the tyres going off by about lap 16-18 i think so decided to pit but the pit crew didn't put the extra fuel i wanted to go upto the 134L required. So i knew i would have to pit again (ill have to make various put strats in future) then i probably started pushing a bit to hard trying to make up the time i knew i would loose with the extra stop and had a few silly half spins, one of which put me in the wall and really ruined the steering so i pitted and then i tried to change the strategy but project cars would not let me click anything so i was stuck in the pits unable to do anything. Anyway here is my recording and despite the problems I really enjoyed the race.

SBart I am really sad that you experienced the issues you did. I think you and I would have had a hell of a battle if not for those issues, particularly the drop out of qualifying.

I enjoyed the win but I think it would have been a much better race with you up there with me. Falcon gave me a bit of a run towards the end, but I could control the pace of the race very well without pushing hard. Was lapping 1:28.1-1:29.1 with full fuel depending on pushing or not, but I'm sure you would have challenged me if you started on the front row with me.

Overall another great race guys, thank you for having Stocky and myself.

See you guys at Monza in a couple weeks!

Stocky

Community Member
Reaction score
Is there a final results from the race?

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Is there a final results from the race?
This may take a day or two, as the admins (believe it or not :p) do have a life besides RSR ;)

I think @t0daY will set up the results as soon as possible.

Besides, @Stocky has been a nice race on sunday. Am I right, assuming that you were on a pretty high downforce setup?

Last edited:

Stocky

Community Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was good racing with you Invincible.

You guessed right, I ran 16/18 DF, big mistake.

I went high just in case it rained. I though it would give me an advantage if so, and turned out to hurt me instead.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Results will be up tonight, I am just a little bit busy atm :/

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Status