Project CARS 2 21st Jan 2018: Holiday in the Algarve (1 Viewer)

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
This was for me one of the most disappointing races of all times. I practiced alot for this one and I had a very good setup and pace. Qualified P3 and got to P1 after 2 laps, sadly I got tapped by @Puffpirat on the uphill left hander (I thought I left some space) and rejoined 7th. Battled my way back to P4 and then I got tagged on the rear by lapping @Jonno , I took the second to last corner wide and tried to pass on the outside but jonno couldn't take the corner any tighter apparently and was facing the other side of the track again. Then after a few laps got tagged on the rear by @Stokemon who had high ping so he didn't saw that he hit me. Backwards again... After 17 laps I was 50 seconds behind P1, the position I was in 3 laps into the race. Then the rain started, the track was flooded for me and even on wets it was difficult to drive on. Got passed by other caterhams all over the place and my motivation for the race diminished. Then I got disconnected which has never happened to me before, but actually I was glad because I didn't have to endure any more.

I am still totally gutted by this, I was hoping for a very nice race after the Indycars but that was not the case because of this unpredictable game. I am considering not participating in races anymore unitil perhaps patch #4 because the amount of practice I put in isn't even repaid remotely in fun during the races... I understand that bad luck is part of racing but this was more than that sadly.

I want to congratulate the winners of the race. And my story might sound a bit negative, I heard a lot of other folks had ton of fun and that is awesome! Kudos to RSR for the top notch way it was organised again!

Last edited:

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
This was my first full race in Project Cars 2, and effectively my first wet weather race since early days of RF2 when that was effectively beta.

I found it quite enjoyable, although rather lonely after the first couple of laps. Although trying to keep out of the way of the caterhams, provided plenty to think about.

Was a great learning curve for me on how the game works. I literally picked PC2 up a week or so ago, so still working my way around it. I now know that I need to setup pit strategies beforehand, with different ones for different weather conditions.....trying to set that lot up on the track, especially when you are new to it, is pretty hard!

As for the race, I wasnt sure if the fuel would be enough for the whole race, so when the rain came, I put the all weather tyres on. Maybe too soon with hindsight, I should have waited until the rivers appeared. Not sure if I managed to wear the tyres too early on the slowly wettening track, but by the time the real floods came, I didnt have much grip.

Hope I managed to keep out of the way of the caterhams, and didnt cause any problems.

Interesting to hear the comments in teamspeak that the game was broken for wet weather, as it seemed okay for me, but, as it was my frst one, I didnt really know what to expect. I can only go on early rf2, and that was awful ;)

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
Race Facts:

6) Tires and Fuel: One full tank + 1 set of slicks
7) Result: I won! :stig:

Wow! you were on slicks the whole race? Amazing.
I thought about it but one lap it got slippy so I decided to change. After a few laps I ended up with PURPLE rear tyres I didn't know you could go hotter than red!
I'm guessing maybe it's a problem with the random slot? As racing over at PRD recently we had a changeable race and it seemed the same for everyone there(no random slot though).
Truly shocking nearly 5 months after release it's still almost impossible to just pick a car, track, weather and race online without issues. Maybe they should have delayed the game a year and actually finished or at least tested it first.
Especially after the first one was a unfixed bug fest. Releasing the next one that seems 5x worse makes me wonder if there'll be a 3rd. Which is a real shame as the core game and the physics are a massive improvement over the first game.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Nighttiger that was totally my fault. I wanted to get a good exit for the next straight to set a counter attack but misjudged your position and trajectory and tapped your rear quarter which send us both spinning :oops:

You had great pace at the start. Bit sad, could’ve been a good one between us and Stu.

I think we should dial back a bit on the “features” in our races. It should be known by now that dry wet transitions don’t work, at least not in sync for everyone, maybe even exaggerated by the 20x time progression.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Sounds like the obvious conclusion is to remove varying weather until some confirmation that it is fixed...(I'd guess a wet weather race from the start would have been fine). hard to say the game is worse than the first - if I understand it live track was not even a thing in the last one??

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
I just mean there seems to be more general problems with the game, the first one had its little annoying bugs like the steering ratio one and stuff like that but they were annoying not game breaking/result changing

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
I want to congratulate the winners of the race. And my story might sound a bit negative, I heard a lot of other folks had ton of fun and that is awesome! Kudos to RSR for the top notch way it was organised again!

To add to that perhaps some questionable moves on my sides towards our battling. Feel free to post a stewarts inquiry, so I can also see it from your side. As I said on TS, from my side it looked clean, but apparently wasn't :-( And, as you might know, if during the race I know my move was wrong I would always give back a position gained/wait for a person. Sorry :-(

Had OK qualy and start. Made a few mistakes but kept my position to be consistent around 6th-7th. Had a few fights here and there. Clean lapping, thanks for that all back markers! Only had one small issue with @Andy Bonar . You totally could have avoided me when I spun. As I was standing still you could have gone a bit wider around my nose, so you wouldn't have hit it. Sorry on my part that I spun right in front of you. But alas, shit happens ;-).

I had a completely hassle free rain race. No spray, no puddles. Yes, wet track. I was a bit slower than before (around 1 second per lap when the rain had settled in, increasing to 3 seconds per lap near the end of the race). And I too stayed on slicks. Track didn't seem too wet for rain tires, so I thought, lets stick to slick.

Although I am happy with my 2nd place, it doesn't feel deserved, not sure how it would have been when I too had a real wet race.

Last edited:

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
@Nighttiger that was totally my fault. I wanted to get a good exit for the next straight to set a counter attack but misjudged your position and trajectory and tapped your rear quarter which send us both spinning :oops:

You had great pace at the start. Bit sad, could’ve been a good one between us and Stu.

Didn't have the replay so couldn't check it out, well it happens and it was early back then and didn't damage my race that much, thanks for apologizing! And it would've been an awesome battle upfront indeed!

Funny fragment here btw, there were so many cars here I had no idea were to go, it was the passing nightmare! 4 cars wide, caterhams and ginetta's everywhere! Insane!

Here is btw my POV of the flooded track! I guess it is quite different compared to some other players:

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
Only had one small issue with @Andy Bonar . You totally could have avoided me when I spun. As I was standing still you could have gone a bit wider around my nose, so you wouldn't have hit it. Sorry on my part that I spun right in front of you. But alas, shit happens ;-)

Can you remember roughly when that was during the race so I can take a look back at it? Apologies if it caused you damage, its not something i recall with much clarity

The_Duke_ZA

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, somehow finished 3rd when I had no right to finish any higher than 9th/10th given my pace in the Caterhams.

I turned down most of my gfx to try and achieve a smooth framerate with VR for this race, and initially was a bit amused by people's comments over teamspeak about it looking like a thunderstorm, etc. Thought it was just my low graphics settings hiding the wet "details", but even so it should've started to look wetter at some stage.

I had rain, but never formed any puddles or spray, so just kept on slicks.
My pace towards the end was 1.5-2s slower than at the beginning, but that could well just have been worn tyres.

I hope this is not a ranked event for other people's sake, very frustrating when things like this happen.
Kinda makes me not even trust the game in any conditions, not sure if all players are driving on the same track conditions.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah, it didn't use my selected pit strategy either, it didn't change the tyres at all. I had big puddles at every apex, not that I could get to the apex with slicks on. This game is starting to be worse than the first one.
Pitstops seem to work fine from what iv come across. With tire changes if you leave it set to "Recommended" then the tires will only be changed when the game decides they are worn enough. to guarantee tires will be changed you need to set it to "All". Hopefully this will resolve the issue. i always check my strategy options in ICM before pitting

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
This was for me one of the most disappointing races of all times. I practiced alot for this one and I had a very good setup and pace. Qualified P3 and got to P1 after 2 laps, sadly I got tapped by @Puffpirat on the uphill left hander (I thought I left some space) and rejoined 7th. Battled my way back to P4 and then I got tagged on the rear by lapping @Jonno , I took the second to last corner wide and tried to pass on the outside but jonno couldn't take the corner any tighter apparently and was facing the other side of the track again. Then after a few laps got tagged on the rear by @Stokemon who had high ping so he didn't saw that he hit me. Backwards again... After 17 laps I was 50 seconds behind P1, the position I was in 3 laps into the race. Then the rain started, the track was flooded for me and even on wets it was difficult to drive on. Got passed by other caterhams all over the place and my motivation for the race diminished. Then I got disconnected which has never happened to me before, but actually I was glad because I didn't have to endure any more.

I am still totally gutted by this, I was hoping for a very nice race after the Indycars but that was not the case because of this unpredictable game. I am considering not participating in races anymore unitil perhaps patch #4 because the amount of practice I put in isn't even repaid remotely in fun during the races... I understand that bad luck is part of racing but this was more than that sadly.

All i can do mate is apoligise i was on full lock trying to hug the inside but understeer was more than i could manage i did brake when i saw my car drifting out but that was probbly the wrong thing to do as that is when i hit you... Once again mate i apoligise we had contact..

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
This was my first full race in Project Cars 2, and effectively my first wet weather race since early days of RF2 when that was effectively beta.

I found it quite enjoyable, although rather lonely after the first couple of laps. Although trying to keep out of the way of the caterhams, provided plenty to think about.

Was a great learning curve for me on how the game works. I literally picked PC2 up a week or so ago, so still working my way around it. I now know that I need to setup pit strategies beforehand, with different ones for different weather conditions.....trying to set that lot up on the track, especially when you are new to it, is pretty hard!

As for the race, I wasnt sure if the fuel would be enough for the whole race, so when the rain came, I put the all weather tyres on. Maybe too soon with hindsight, I should have waited until the rivers appeared. Not sure if I managed to wear the tyres too early on the slowly wettening track, but by the time the real floods came, I didnt have much grip.

Hope I managed to keep out of the way of the caterhams, and didnt cause any problems.

Interesting to hear the comments in teamspeak that the game was broken for wet weather, as it seemed okay for me, but, as it was my frst one, I didnt really know what to expect. I can only go on early rf2, and that was awful ;)
The problem with the weather is not everyone is getting the same track conditions which is where the complaints and TS chatter came from. its an issue we are aware of but an issue that cant be resolved until SMS patch it. Live track is a standout feature for PCars2 and it doesnt work.
In terms of the loneliness, alot of people spent time testing and doing setups for the race which gives them an advantage, once you get familiar with the guys and how they race along with setup knowledge you will quickly find your racepace increases(I did!). you are more than welcome to ask any of us for racing,setup advice or just anything in general. :)

For my race, i didnt practice more than 12 laps. Thanks to @steveg200 for the amazing setup! I wasnt planning on doing this race but got persuaded into it. I decided i wanted to start at the back of the grid and have some fun fighting through, it was alot of fun during the race and i was quicked gt5 on track at some points. Would love to do that race again once live track issues are fixed!

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
Only had one small issue with @Andy Bonar . You totally could have avoided me when I spun. As I was standing still you could have gone a bit wider around my nose, so you wouldn't have hit it. Sorry on my part that I spun right in front of you. But alas, shit happens ;-).
I have found the incident now, to be fair, there wasnt much I could do bearing in mind how little grip I had, and I was off my normal racing line to try to allow you through cleanly. I turned as much as I could. As I did say, there was no notice or feeling of any contact from my perspective.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
@Andy Bonar Ah, my bad! Thought you were standing still/spun as well, my apologies ;-) Shit happens anyway.

I hope this is not a ranked event for other people's sake, very frustrating when things like this happen.

+1 on not getting this ranked as it is way too unfair.

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Nighttiger Yeah, really sorry about that. There was a big gap in front of me from my perspective and you suddenly darted right as if I hit you, I guess that's what you felt. I don't understand ping ever, it always records low for me and then at the most inconvenient times is so high.

My track was completely flooded at the end. The bit between turns 3/4 was a massive puddle and was not driveable. Having qualified 5th and close to those behind me I was looking forward to a fun race but was gutted to end up being massively off the pace and battling the car (a favourite of mine) most the race.

Well done @Feanor and well done rsr for a nice event. I like the track (think I'm the only one). Would love to do more multi class racing, though maybe only in the dry XD

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
@Andy Bonar Ah, my bad! Thought you were standing still/spun as well, my apologies ;-) Shit happens anyway.

+1 on not getting this ranked as it is way too unfair.
No problem at all Ash :)
I had to check, because I couldnt remember it, but if I had known I caused a problem, I would have apologised straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread