22th Sep 2016 - Grand Touring Cup (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Was a fun race up until the rain ....

For the first few laps of rain I surprised myself by following the leaders on drys and the car felt good, and pitted once the times approached wet tyre times, all going great I thought. Entering the pits for wets I quickly tried to select the desired options for tyres and fuel. When in VR this just doesn't work robustly as I have to use the D Pad on the wheel to move through the menus. Whilst selecting the setup I inadvertently slipped and selected an asymmetric setup and ended up with 1 wet on the front left and 3 softs.

The resulting outlap was a disaster with two big off track moments, after realising the mistake I was forced into making a 3rd pit stop which alongside the two spins pretty much destroyed all the hard work from the first stint. During the 3rd pit stop the curse of VR struck again whilst selecting the options on the Wheel I slipped again this time taking a couple of liters of fuel out of the strategy. With 2 laps left I realised I wasn't going to make it on full bore so had seriously lift and coast the last two laps but even that wasn't enough and ran out of fuel about 100m from the end and coasted over the finish line.

Still great fun and fair racing, but really bummed about the way it panned out.

B

Blue Monkey

My race report:
Did not practice a lot and used half my own, half of @ramiboo setup (thx for your suspension, spring and rear wing settings).
I was a bit tired from hard work on race day though.

Qualifying:
I only managed a 1:23.649 - but I wasn't worried as my setup was not completely for dry conditions and it was to be expected that I was slower with a pure race setup.

Race:
When I saw the times of the top 3, I thought they would run away from me. So my target was P4. Race fuel was set to 90l.

• Race Start was okay. Got surprised by the "Green Green Green", was a bit asleep.

• Lap 3/40
Slightly hit @Gxbbs in Turn 2, cause I was braking too late - first thought I didn't hit you at all as I had 0 damage after it - sry. 2 corners later he lost it on his own on the kerb and went into the wall.
Bassets nearly overtakes me in Turn 7 after I run wide on the exit kerb of Turn 6. Some slight door to door contact until he bailed out.
Up until Lap 17, the 2 leaders (ramiboo, Mr Beas) created a 8 sec gap to Manu and me.

• Lap 17/40
Pit window opens. Mr Beas pitted and that surprised me really. I knew that would be a mistake.

• Lap 21/40
Lag spike at Turn 2 made me nearly run into Manus ghost car. 2 corners later: Manu makes a mistake, handing me (prov.) P2 over. Gap to the leader (ramiboo) was 10 sec.
2nd last corner, ramiboo makes a mistake, spins aswell and looses 9 sec - gap after that: 1.5 sec - he went directly into the pits and switched to wets. I calculated that I could drive a 6+ sec lead out of it as the wets are around 3 sec slower in dry conditions. That moment I saw a race win was possible.

• Lap 23/40
Pit window closed at the end. I went into the pits with Manu behind me (2 sec). Unfortunately Manu's pit box was occupied and he had to do a drive through and pit next lap (Lap 24/40). I switched to full wets and turned on the traction control in the hope of less tire wear.
Exiting the pits in P4, with ^t0daY, miagi" (both pit box occupied) a further stop to do. The same would go for Mr Beas as he was on dry tires.

• Lap 26/40
First drops of rain appear. Mr Beas goes directly into the pits for rain tires.

• Lap 31/40
The light rain started now to really kick in. I started to save fuel cause I knew I wouldn't make it otherwise. At that point I had 20.5 liters left ; with an average fuel usage of 2.3 liters that would have been enough for only 9 laps. I had to save 2.5 liter in the last 10 laps. So I started saving fuel. Target was 2l / lap. Over the next laps I managed around 1.85 liters / lap - best was 1.7 liter in 2 laps :D. I did lift and cost and a lot of short shifting. Somehow (and that really suprised me) the car behind didn't close in, on the contrary, the gap went bigger.

• Lap 37/40
Manu overtakes ramiboo 9 sec behind me in spectacular lag spike fashion which sadly ended ramiboo's day.

• Lap 38/40
Finally I saved enough fuel and started to go full throttle again to take a surprising victory.

Was a good race, exciting and full of drama. I think in terms of behaviour of RSR waaaaay better than in Bathurst. Unlucky lag spikes though. See you next race.

Video up in 3 hours

Last edited by a moderator:

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to post my video from last night, because a, I didn't finish, and b, my OBS decided not to record the sound! So to make up it, I'll troll the thread and let you watch a video from 2008....... ;)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Is @ramiboo secretly the :stig:? So brave on the curbs in lap 1 :D

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score

NemethR

Community Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed the race, luckily the lag spikes avoided me (in terms of not crashing into anyone) until the last lap.
There I was hit by Miagi's lagging car so hard i tought it was over, but i was able to make it till the finish.
- Of course Miagi was absolutely not responsible for that, he vas aprox 2-3 sec in front of me at that time. -

The quali was realy tight between me and @FlyingKman, 0.000 difference, I was hoping for a good fight, but it was not to be... :(

I had a pretty good start, made up some 5 places at least, but in the first corner - something like 4 wide - someone hit me in the back (I think), and I ended up in the barrier, was really disappointed at that point, but I made up a lot of places during the race.
I had 1 spin later because of a minor contact with someone, and a stupid spin in the rain, completely my fault.

I believe I lost around 20sec in those 2 spins, but it was a nice race nevertheless. Shame for the lag spikes :(

Big thanks to @Blue Monkey, who opened the door for me, when he was lapping, and by following him through I gained 2 places :)

Last edited:

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
In the rankings, what does DC mean? Disconnected? Which I did not, however, I did retire to pits around lap 23, 24 or so.

Besides my AI driver taking over I had a wonderful race. Tough battles with, IIRC, @Invincible, @Iceman07, @Pamellaaa and @SillySausage.

Had one of my best GT3 _and_ Mercedes races to date. only made 1 "huge" mistake, where I went off track in the fast right hander after the sector 1 timing line, and I had to give away a position (which I took back bit later). Made a few small errors here and there, but nothing majorlyseriouslness.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
In the rankings, what does DC mean? Disconnected? Which I did not, however, I did retire to pits around lap 23, 24 or so.

Besides my AI driver taking over I had a wonderful race. Tough battles with, IIRC, @Invincible, @Iceman07, @Pamellaaa and @SillySausage.

Had one of my best GT3 _and_ Mercedes races to date. only made 1 "huge" mistake, where I went off track in the fast right hander after the sector 1 timing line, and I had to give away a position (which I took back bit later). Made a few small errors here and there, but nothing majorlyseriouslness.

We are taking DC for disconnects or any problems with the game. A DNF would imply that you retired to the pits which you basically did but only because the AI took over your car :)

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
I bet my heart rate was over 120... At and right after the start at least.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Finally I got some time to post my video :p

Had a lot of fun in the ruf, luckily @ramiboo posted his setup, without it I would have been totally screwed :D Qualy went pretty good for me, P3 with only 3 tenths behind @ramiboo and @Mr Beas. In the dry conditions I had a quite lonely race, did some mistakes and was after all 5 seconds behind P1 and P2.

"Pitbox occupied" - I screamed (muted teamspeak beforehand :D), that was literally a drive-through for nothing... But nevermind, pitted next lap and had a little advantage because my wet tires were not that overheated than other guys who had pitted earlier.

Intense battle with @ramiboo in the wet, was damn awesome until his car exploded during a lagspike :( :(

All in all I finished 2nd behind @Blue Monkey, congratulations btw :p

Pamellaaa

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
I had taken a screenshot of my phone after race because I was discussing my work with Miagi, regarding my Philips Health Watch. He wondered if the race was visible on my heart rate history.
I wear a fitbit and always see a surprisingly large spike in heartrate and calories burnt when racing, saves going to the gym ;)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
I had taken a screenshot of my phone after race because I was discussing my work with Miagi, regarding my Philips Health Watch. He wondered if the race was visible on my heart rate history.
You stayed pretty cool o,0

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
You stayed pretty cool o,0

Well, my "resting heart rate" is at 56bpm, when I am not doing anything. This means an increase of x2 compared to my RHR while racing. I don't deem that "pretty cool" :p Besides that I always have a rather lower heart rate compared to others, however, it is beating quite "hard" during those moments (racing).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread