24 Hours of Daytona - 19th January 2019 - Start: 13:00 GMT (1 Viewer)

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What a roller coaster of a weekend! Thanks a lot to @SillySausage, @Raigore and @GoDATP for being a pleasure to drive with. I think we made a great crew, and I look forward to more iRacing exploits together in the future! Well done to the other crews who finished, and commiserations to those who had their chances taken away. Also, a quick thanks to those who supported and helped us along the way. Here's some personal highlights from me.

At first, we failed to finish the 24 seconds of Daytona, as we were punted in T1:

Being cautious (since you know, it being a 24 hour race and all), a gap opened momentarily to my left, and somebody unsuccessfully went for it. A good 40 minutes later, and our car was back on the track. We were very down on pace and none of us wanted to face 24 hours of limping around getting lapped by everybody. So we called it, and all went our own ways.

...Until iRacing announced they would run another race to compensate for their server issues in the other splits. So we got the band back together and gave it another crack. I managed to get pole in our split, and had a good start to lead the first lap. I soon settled into third, making good fuel mileage out the of the battling top 2's draft, until I got spooked by a slow GT3 in the bus stop - the only major mistake our whole crew made all race!

That's also 4 consecutive iRacing enduro starts where I've ended up backwards in the first hour. Oops. We lost a lap from the damage repairs, so we were on the back foot from nearly the start. The next 23 hours were a blur. All of us pounded around without major drama (apart from Silly's network issues late on), making up ground with our remarkably consistent, balanced, and sometimes race leading pace. We gradually found ourselves in a gap battle for P3 with the Yellow SROC Ferrari late in the night, which could continue to slog on for the rest of the race.

With a few hours to go, P2 crashed into the split clown (there's always one), who was being unpredictable in the bus stop. Another top 5 car was also involved in an accident late on; so our fight was now for P2, although none of us felt good about the circumstances. It all came to a head when both us and our rival completed our final splash & dashes, with P2 rejoining just a second ahead of @Raigore with 21 minutes to go. Words can't describe the battle that followed, so here it is:

Hats off to @Raigore for that final stint, it was truly brilliant stuff. Even though it didn't go our way on the final lap, the grit and balls he showed will surely go down in RSR folklore. The round of applause from teamspeak after we crossed the line from those glued to the streams was well deserved, and gave me chills.

Nismo

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What a roller coaster of a weekend! Thanks a lot to @SillySausage, @Raigore and @GoDATP for being a pleasure to drive with. I think we made a great crew, and I look forward to more iRacing exploits together in the future! Well done to the other crews who finished, and commiserations to those who had their chances taken away. Also, a quick thanks to those who supported and helped us along the way. Here's some personal highlights from me.

At first, we failed to finish the 24 seconds of Daytona, as we were punted in T1:

Being cautious (since you know, it being a 24 hour race and all), a gap opened momentarily to my left, and somebody unsuccessfully went for it. A good 40 minutes later, and our car was back on the track. We were very down on pace and none of us wanted to face 24 hours of limping around getting lapped by everybody. So we called it, and all went our own ways.

...Until iRacing announced they would run another race to compensate for their server issues in the other splits. So we got the band back together and gave it another crack. I managed to get pole in our split, and had a good start to lead the first lap. I soon settled into third, making good fuel mileage out the of the battling top 2's draft, until I got spooked by a slow GT3 in the bus stop - the only major mistake our whole crew made all race!

That's also 4 consecutive iRacing enduro starts where I've ended up backwards in the first hour. Oops. We lost a lap from the damage repairs, so we were on the back foot from nearly the start. The next 23 hours were a blur. All of us pounded around without major drama (apart from Silly's network issues late on), making up ground with our remarkably consistent, balanced, and sometimes race leading pace. We gradually found ourselves in a gap battle for P3 with the Yellow SROC Ferrari late in the night, which could continue to slog on for the rest of the race.

With a few hours to go, P2 crashed into the split clown (there's always one), who was being unpredictable in the bus stop. Another top 5 car was also involved in an accident late on; so our fight was now for P2, although none of us felt good about the circumstances. It all came to a head when both us and our rival completed our final splash & dashes, with P2 rejoining just a second ahead of @Raigore with 21 minutes to go. Words can't describe the battle that followed, so here it is:

Hats off to @Raigore for that final stint, it was truly brilliant stuff. Even though it didn't go our way on the final lap, the grit and balls he showed will surely go down in RSR folklore. The round of applause from teamspeak after we crossed the line from those glued to the streams was well deserved, and gave me chills.

The first thing the oppositions does is hitting my face. Great :banghead:

Anto

RSR Academy
Reaction score
see you there, and @Anto you in?

So you mean extend the subscription AND buy another track? In principal yes but someone's going to have to talk to my wife for me. :oops:

Great race this weekend, a pity some damage saw us down on top speed for 23 hours of it or I'm sure we would done much better.

The start and finish numbers don't tell the full story, the starting position of 22 and finishing position of 21 don't show the fight of coming back from 40th so props to @Darksi @Ben Watkinson and @javoresku as we were all pretty evenly matched.

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
The first thing the oppositions does is hitting my face. Great :banghead:
We actually mentioned when it happened that your sad face looked even sadder now that it was crumpled up haha :p

javoresku

Community Member
Reaction score
So you mean extend the subscription AND buy another track? In principal yes but someone's going to have to talk to my wife for me. :oops:
Sorry to disappoint you, but if I remember correctly, you need to buy the Nordschleife AND the Grand-Prix track to get to race the combined layouts.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you, but if I remember correctly, you need to buy the Nordschleife AND the Grand-Prix track to get to race the combined layouts.

That is (sadly) the truth. iRacing needs the moneyzZ :(

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
That is (sadly) the truth. iRacing needs the moneyzZ :(
I’m so glad I’m at the point now where I don’t have to buy tracks anymore to race :D dread to think how much I’ve spent to get there though :oops:

Ben Watkinson

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Great race this weekend, a pity some damage saw us down on top speed for 23 hours of it or I'm sure we would done much better.

The start and finish numbers don't tell the full story, the starting position of 22 and finishing position of 21 don't show the fight of coming back from 40th so props to @Darksi @Ben Watkinson and @javoresku as we were all pretty evenly matched.
We did pretty well to get back up the field I guess if the servers wasn't so jumpy in the first hour due to quality then we may not have lost places at all, but we will never know, but still had a lot of fun fighting traffic and some great over takes from us all, might even put a video together of our best overtakes

Ben Watkinson

RSR Academy
Reaction score

javoresku

Community Member
Reaction score
Umm, probably not the best place to ask, but why do we have two different "Funny" emotes in the post reactions?

Users who are viewing this thread