Project CARS 2 An appeal for "Push to Talk" as default in races (1 Viewer)

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm pretty certain this topic will have come up before, but is it not worth making push to talk a requirement for races? It's endlessly distracting to hear someones plates rattling, a bad cough, or an "erk!" as someone takes a corner wrong, and it really drops my focus to the point where I am more likely to spin out.

I'm reasonably certain that anyone who has found there way to RSR is using a wheel or at least a controller with enough buttons that one can be mapped to Push to Talk in Team Speak. It's not hard to do and is really beneficial. If it makes you feel better - its more sim-realistic to have a push to talk :).

Sadly my alternative is to start muting those people who have constant noisy open mic. I don't want to do this, as I could miss some important information, but at the moment I'm considering it as the safer overall option.

Apologies if I've opened up some holy war :)

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Problem is, that at least for me, PTT doesn't work properly, as some buttons are hardcoded in PCARS, and although I can assign them in TS, in-game they don't work. Also, it is quite a hassle to keep pushing the button when you go into a corner or something like that. I see your point, but I also see the problems related, as I am also affected by such. :(

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Problem is, that at least for me, PTT doesn't work properly, as some buttons are hardcoded in PCARS, and although I can assign them in TS, in-game they don't work. Also, it is quite a hassle to keep pushing the button when you go into a corner or something like that. I see your point, but I also see the problems related, as I am also affected by such. :(
Many buttons have hardcoded purpose in menus (including once you bring up the menu in race), but don't seem to have that limitation in race. Technically I skip through sub menus when I use my push to talk (and talk when I skip through submenus using the wheel), but I generally find that a fair trade off for the ability to keep clean comms. Yes, the wheel turning thing is absolutely annoying, but again, I think the trade off is worth it (though I have crashed before by trying to talk and bringing up the menu in-race before. My soln is just to move the menu button to one further away).

Longer term I think I'll play with a small button box in easy reach of the wheel...because that's cool

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score

I'm with @Shepard here. While I see the problem and am also slightly annoyed by constantly rattling wheels and shifters and other background noises, push-to-talk isn't an option for me because I either forget to push the button at all, push the wrong button or I push the right one and it doesn't work because TS hates me.

And the trade-off of having another button on my wheel mapped / blocked by PPT and the negative impact on overall usability just isn't worth it for me. I clearly want to stick with voice-activation.

Last edited:

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Unfortunately it cant really be done there is many many factors as to why some cant use ptt. Personaly i cant use ptt as i just dont have enough buttons on my rig to allow me to have it. However what i do have is a mute mic button maped to my keyboard that sits next to me and is alot easyer to have than a ptt button. If i was to use my keyboard for ptt id be stumbling for the button everytime i needed to speak meaning my eyes would not be on the screen.. But thats just me.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
As with a lot of problems in life, there is no simple solution to this problem.

We have quite a few members with, for example, a G25 wheel that has only 2 buttons. Those are going to be mapped to the most vital processes for those users (eg, look left, look right) and it is impossible to expect those members to give up that facility.

For those with a headset, there is no excuse however for ensuring that their microphone is set up correctly, so that it can be set to "voice activated". This is the method I use and it has been fine for a long time now - the only exception was recently when my mic sensitivity suddenly changed in TeamSpeak and I had to lower the threshold. On a subsequent session (for the BMW M1 race), it had returned to normal but now it was activating with as little as a mouse fart! A quick change to the activation level and it was all good.

For those with a desktop microphone and speakers, and noisy wheels, pedals and/or shifters, well, they will have to use push-to-talk as voice activation is quite likely to activate on use of those items.

However, as Shepherd points out, push-to-talk is not always convenient for some of us, trying to hold a button down whilst trying to race.

We, the RSR staff have discussed this at length on a number of occasions and have always come out with the same result, that there is no simple "one size fits all" solution. We have, as some will have noticed in the BMW M1 event at Barcelona, started to experiment with moving people to another lobby in TeamSpeak. However, that is a manual process that one of us has to perform. As you can well imagine, that is not easy in the middle of a race if we don't have people in the race as race directors/broadcasters.

EDIT : And please don't think I'm dismissing the issue at hand. Heavy breathing, loud sighing, coughs, loud wheels/shifters etc etc are all incredibly distracting at times. Sadly, unless you want a completely sterile environment, where nobody says anything at all, there are some trade-offs. And yes, we have tried that approach and it wasn't exactly well received.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread