Assetto Corsa Competizione Blancpain Challenge - R1: Monza (1 Viewer)

Blancpain Challenge - R1: Monza
Posted by m4nu
Assetto Corsa Competizione
Sunday, July 7, 2019 - 19:30
Until: Sunday, July 7, 2019 - 22:59
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Corentin_Bergès

Community Member
Reaction score
What to say about this race ? For me it looked more or less a TT excepted first two laps.

Qualified 3rd, just 0.1s off the leader, i was really confident i could have a podium finish after allthe training i had put for this.

Start was messy, i'm sure i had a pretty good start, but braking early carefully to avoid any cointact with icy brakes and cold tyres, two guys went on my left side and i was forced to give room. Room i gave too much and couldn't do the left turn of the first chicane, so i ended up in the gravel trap losing a few position (i think i was 8th at this point). Lot of L1 heroes going side by side at all cost in the chicanes, hopefully i was able to avoid the crashes in front.
Back to 5th, i think i gained the 4th position when @Exited went into the pits.
Now i was just cruising with 8s gap to 3rd and 8s gap to @Mazy CZ behind, trying to save fuel with ECU MAP and lifting off throttle before braking, something new to me. I managed to cruise like that for 30 min.
Around 32 min remaining at the clock, my wheel started to do shit, as it was repeteadly refusing to shift down. This was really disturbing and i lost all my concentration when trying to shift down before Ascari. I clipped the curb on the inside which unsettled my car, almost got it back but finally lost it and went straight into the wall. Heavy damage, had to pit.
Came back in 13th position, alone again, 16s gap to the 12th runner, but still in the leader lap. Bringed it back home, but really frustrated as the primary cause was a shitty hardware problem, that didn't happen at all in 10h of practise.

Last edited:

deadmeat2k

Community Member
Reaction score
What to say about this race ? For me it looked more or less a TT excepted first two laps.

Qualified 3rd, just 0.1s off the leader, i was really confident i could have a podium finish after allthe training i had put for this.

Start was messy, i'm sure i had a pretty good start, but braking early carefully to avoid any cointact with icy brakes and cold tyres, two guys went on my left side and i was forced to give room. Room i gave too much and couldn't do the left turn of the first chicane, so i ended up in the gravel trap losing a few position (i think i was 8th at this point). Lot of L1 heroes going side by side at all cost in the chicanes, hopefully i was able to avoid the crashes in front.
Back to 5th, i think i gained the 4th position when @Exited went into the pits.
Now i was just cruising with 8s gap to 3rd and 8s gap to @Mazy CZ behind, trying to save fuel with ECU MAP and lifting off throttle beforsomething new to me. I managed to cruise like that for 30 min.
Around 32 min remaining at the clock, my wheel started to do shit, as it was repeteadly refusing to shift down. This was really disturbing and i lost all my concentration when trying to shift down before Ascari. I clipped the curb on the inside which unsettled my car, almost got it back but finally lost it and went straight into the wall. Heavy damage, had to pit.
Came back in 13th position, alone again, 16s gap to the 12th runner, but still in the leader lap. Bringed it back home, but really frustrated as the primary cause was a shitty hardware problem, that didn't happen at all in 10h of practise.

32 minutes too long training then :rolleyes: Hope you figure out that hardware problem!

Corentin_Bergès

Community Member
Reaction score
32 minutes too long training then :rolleyes: Hope you figure out that hardware problem!
I know the problem already, there must be some shit in the case where the switch is (t300rs) that prevents it from activating. It happend in the past but a few rageous pull did solve the problem :p not this time :(

Mazy CZ

Community Member
Reaction score
I don't really know what happened at the start. IMO it is not that hard to get moving, just look at the car in front and don't move before the car in front moves forward. If it has some delay, just stay in position.

I was hit from behind before parabolica in the formation lap but nothing serious. Also, I think the formation lap speed limit should not be 80kph as it is quite slow imo. Why the pole sitter can't go as he wishes? usually whoever has pole is not an idiot and will not just drive away and cause chaos. in ofrmation poin yes the 80kph is fine.

To the actual race, nothing much happened for me after 2 laps in. Start was a bit bad from my side as I had to brake a bit just before the call out so I lost like 4 positions. Kept my line into 1st chicane, avoidied a car going on gravel, in 2nd chicane some car hit the inner kerb and got half-spinned so I had to go to the gravel on the exit so another positions lost so was down to 12th I guess. Then as other cars in fornt made mistakes, I found myself in 6th after some laps, then 5th and 4th in the end and was lapping by myself all the time with @Corentin_Bergès in front.

I had 2-3 Ascari deadly moments which I saved so no major mistakes apart form those.

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
I didn't even remember it was you @Ricardo Macieira , and it doesn't matter, really... seems like this has become the place were only the aliens can have fun. I prepared a whole week to get my lap times down, but it seems I am lacking some skills. I dunno.

TBH I think T1 on Monza always sucks. Doesn't matter what game it is, but like we talked about in the driver briefing people could take the exit road to avoid incidents.

But ACC's rolling start system doesn't really help either. It's really shit. But like @Mazy CZ wrote people just need to wait for the car in front to move and pay more attention to what is going on.

I think you are wrong about only aliens can have fun. My most fun races have been from P10 down to P25 where I have battled with so many cars. Then when I finally led a race in AC S2, I thought it was boring just to hotlap and no one to battle with.

I hope you stick around, because sometimes shit happens, but then we deal with it.

To quote the famous Rocky Balboa.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You know what they say...it's lonely at the top xD It really was, for me it was hot lapping from the first chicane. Couldn't match exiteds pace in the first laps and after I finally found a rhythm he was already 4s up the road.

We have to be fair, it was RSRs first ever ACC event, for me it was the first time I did anything else than a practice session. Never driven the car on low or full fuel.

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
You know what they say...it's lonely at the top xD It really was, for me it was hot lapping from the first chicane. Couldn't match exiteds pace in the first laps and after I finally found a rhythm he was already 4s up the road.

We have to be fair, it was RSRs first ever ACC event, for me it was the first time I did anything else than a practice session. Never driven the car on low or full fuel.

Looking beyond the terrible start, I actually enjoyed the race and how the game felt. .:)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Driving is really good in ACC, just need to get more clarity in VR. Somehow it looks like depth of field is enabled but other than that really enjoyable!

Going with 30 GT3 cars into T1 Monza....what could possibly go wrong. I guess we need to fix the replay issue to get our stewarding up to AC quality, but yeah, first ACC race, we will get there!

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Looking beyond the terrible start, I actually enjoyed the race and how the game felt. .:)
Yeah, was pleasantly surprised how stable this game is actually running. Had couple of interesting and good battles after my terrible spin and my repair stop. No rubberbanding, some fps issues but only in a couple of laps, the other cars do look amazing in VR even tough the LODing is still really aggressive (textures and stuff suddenly pop in when you come closer) and the sounds (my car and other cars) are still giving me goosebumps everytime I load up this game :)

Really looking forward to next sunday, even tough I'm afraid that my PC is going to collapse when we go into the night :)

This was the very first race in ACC for a lot of us (me included, did mostly practice and the Special events until now, because my PC couldn't handle MP until the CPU fixes) so don't be sad about what happened yesterday. I'm really sure that we can see a good progress in the next weeks and everybody will get used to ACC more and more. People still need to pay more attention that things like the formation lap Carnage won't happen again, but I'm sure that was a once in a lifetime fail.

I agree with @Mazy CZ , the formation lap was much too slow at 80 kph. We should have gone faster on the straights and then slow down to 80kph after Ascari.

@Puffpirat Be sure, I will make your next races more entertaining, such a spin won't happen again ;-)

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm really sure that we can see a good progress in the next weeks and everybody will get used to ACC more and more. People still need to pay more attention that things like the formation lap Carnage won't happen again, but I'm sure that was a once in a lifetime fail.

Yeah I agree. :) We should be beyond crashing on the formation lap at this point. :D

I agree with @Mazy CZ , the formation lap was much too slow at 80 kph. We should have gone faster on the straights and then slow down to 80kph after Ascari.

Maybe on Monza we should have gone faster, since its pretty much just straights and the track is long. On the next race on Zolder I think 80kph will be just fine. :)

deadmeat2k

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. :) We should be beyond crashing on the formation lap at this point. :D

Maybe on Monza we should have gone faster, since its pretty much just straights and the track is long. On the next race on Zolder I think 80kph will be just fine. :)

From my starting position near the rear for the formation lap, it was clear that the low spacing between the cars again caused problems. It is Kunos who should setup more spacing between the cars for the start grid. This way too easily creates situations where cars have to break hard, when everyone starts to roll - especially in the rear.

I started P21 and on the formation lap, rubberbanding was already really bad after 1. cikane. People were going way faster than 80 km/h to catch up in the rear, which of course created a lot of hard breaking. I guess it is easy to feel that you are falling behind, although in reality it doesnt matter with RSR approach - there was amble time to reach your starting position on the last straight before Parabolica.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Does the ACC start system allow to go single file before the s/f line? The way I see it there is no need to be eager to get the car rolling, you'll have a whole lap to get in formation. Just wait till the car ahead of you leaves its spot.

Reactions: Tom

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
The problem with the ACC system is, that it is inconsistent. Sometime people can jump several positions, as there seems to be no control/punish mechanism for that. The forced pit limiter is just crap, as it seems to not kick in at the same time for all drivers.

Morvic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be doing their race reports so I may aswell do mine.

Qualy was decent for me, pretty happy with P6 although I counted for a bit more than that. I could've gone faster but I made mistakes in sector 1, so it is what it is I said and went on to the race.
And I probably did the best start of my life in this race, starting from P6 I managed to get up to speed really quickly and into the first chicane I was already P4, and on the exit P3. From there my job was to extend the gap to P4. But what made my job harder was my wheel. Sometimes when I rapidly move it (e.g. saving a car) it goes off-center and stays like this unless I calibrate it agian. And it happened here. I went a little sideways at the exit of ascari, and not only went as wide as the gravel trap but my wheel was ~45* off center. I was seriously doubting myself at that point, but fortunately I decided to fight and keep racing (worth it).
Then @Jeff[NL] started to catch me up. A few of my mistakes closed the gap quciker than normally, and when he got me his pace was just to much for me, so when I made a mistake on Ascari (again) I just let off throttle and let him go, at that point he was gonna make a move anyway.
From that moment it was just going to the end safely. P3 in the end.

As for my first race in ACC it was really great. Also probably my first race where the setup is fully mine... :woot: I really liked it and looking forward to Zolder. I wonder how the Aston will do there in terms of pace.

Jakeyy

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
First off I want to say sorry to the Mann Filters Merc (@Battenberg I think) during the Quali, I saw on the relative you were a second or so behind, so I wanted to get out of the way before the Parabolica, stupidly I didn't check my mirror first.

Onto the race, I had a good start made up the odd position and all was looking good into T1, and then I was facing the wall :rolleyes:

I didn't think I had too much damage, so I carried on after losing about 20 seconds due to the car not wanting to start again.
The damage was obviously more than I thought I had, as sometimes I wasn't even able to hit 6th gear down the long straights, after 15 laps I pitted as I had others just catch and pass with ease so I could tell something wasn't right on the straights.

Once I pitted, repaired the damage and got some fresh rubber, I was able to lap 2-3s a lap quicker, the car felt mega with my limited practice (Didn't expect to be needed on the first event as a reserve).
Will do more practice for the 3rd race, and hopefully get the Bentley Tank running like a beauty.

I totally put way too much fuel in, 136L or what ever the new Bentley carries was way too much. I'm sure I had like 35-40L left at the end of the race.

Once again sorry for the Quali incident :(

Last edited:

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
First off I want to say sorry to the Mann Filters Merc (@Battenberg I think) during the Quali, I saw on the relative you were a second or so behind, so I wanted to get out of the way before the Parabolica, stupidly I didn't check my mirror first.

Some poo did come out :eek: I had a nightmare Quali, I came across a Ferrari parked still on the racing line in between the Lesmos on my first flying lap; failed to thread the needle between you and @exited(?) on my second; made a mistake on my third, and hit traffic on my final lap - all the while faffing with OBS inbetween runs. o_O

This put me in the melee of T1 for the race, so had to pit for repairs on lap 1. I came back out on a charge with 0 fuel worries, was enjoying coming back through the field, but I caught my rear left on a slick patch of runoff on the exit of Parabolica and spun... twice. Another pitstop to replace my damaged tyres put me further back, playing cat & mouse with @xImJakeyy to the end of the race.

Despite the rubbish performance, I enjoyed the driving experience. I like that this game will punish you if you overdo it or are clumsy with kerbs, but in a logical way - these cars really are easy to drive but hard to master. With more time in this game I think it will help build consistency a hell of a lot.

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I discovered before start my turn on engine was unmapped, got teleported to pits, managed to map button, start engone and join the formation lap but got 30 seconds (really??) stop and go penalty for pit lane speeding, entered pits again during first lap for the penalty and forgot again to activate speed limiter, got disqualified... :(

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I see @The Wayfaerer had a good and bad race finishing p7 and dnf p22 .

Users who are viewing this thread