Assetto Corsa Competizione Chit Chat (2 Viewers)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
First things first, make sure you open the game in non-VR first, if you haven't tried it yet. Otherwise, you'll get stuck in an opening "enter your name" screen, with no way of progressing. Once I did that I was able to load in VR and it works. Performance isn't great - it was struggling on my 980GTX with just myself on track in clear weather. I won't be playing this much though as there are a few things that make it hard to enjoy driving:

1. FFB "out of the box" on my G29 is awful, truly awful.
2. Your head position is 'fixed', so you can't lean in and out of the screen. As somebody who is quite 'mobile' when driving, this was seriously distracting.
3. The graphics are far too indistinct to make it safe to drive quickly. Detail is almost non-existent until you're right on top of it. This might have been the default settings, so I would likely need to check that. On a DK2 it was very difficult to see corners coming up until I was almost on top of them.
4. The audio is actually quite distracting for my tastes and as somebody who often finds himself driving "to the engine", not actually being able to hear the engine, coupled with the awful FFB, made driving quite tricky. Again, these are the default settings I'm using.

Of course, I've played little but pCARS1 and 2 for the last 7 years (tomorrow will be the 7th anniversary of my joining WMD for pCARS1) so I have grown accustomed to the way pCARS 'feels'. That said, FFB in rFactor2 is WAY ahead of this. To be honest, even iRacing felt better.

Then there's the one thing that I cannot put my finger on, the thing that pCARS1 and 2 has done right from the beginning. The sensation of braking seems to be utterly lacking in other sims, to the extent that you never "feel" like you're braking and slowing down. I don't know if it's just the subtle 'pitch forward' effect or something else that pCARS does, but it's always felt right as a way of letting you know you're slowing down. ACC is the latest in a line of sims to fall short in this area.

Give it a try, you might enjoy it more than me. For now, though, with the FFB, graphics and performance as they are, I won't be looking at it again properly until release.

And no, this isn't a "Cluck is just a pCARS fanboy" post, these are simply my honest findings from my first half hour in it. I rarely speak up, in public, about what I think about other sims as people seem to be WAY too precious about their favoured game. Life's too short to be bothered by whether or not one person doesn't like x sim or y game. Play it yourself, judge for yourself and make your own mind up, your opinion is the only opinion that matters to you :)

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
Still no "proper" triple support. The stretched image is giving me motion sickness as the sides don't match speed wise to what the center screen is doing. Going to have to continue waiting. SIGH.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
^^^ Driving sim in slightly wonky physics shocker. The day a sim comes out that doesn't have some weird physics somewhere, that will be a day to celebrate. In the meantime, I'll continue to raise a wry smile every time I see one of these types of videos.

/grumpyoldgit

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
the marshal at the end is waving the "slippery surface" flag, so the guy in the Bentley decided to avoid the surface altogether...

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Way too blurry to have any joy of it :(
Having signed up to the AC forums, it's apparently due to the Temporal AA setting that is auto-enabled so disabling that makes things a lot less blurry. That won't overcome the other shortcomings for me but it's a start, though I can't confirm if it works because I simply don't have the energy to even load the game up again and try and battle my way through the UI.

Also, Forward / Back in the control assignments are Enter (Confirm) / Escape (Cancel). No wonder I didn't assign them, since those controls were on the same screen as the things for changing ABS, TC, Motec display etc. According to another post from one of the devs there, keyboard support for menus is coming in a hotfix.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
Having signed up to the AC forums, it's apparently due to the Temporal AA setting that is auto-enabled so disabling that makes things a lot less blurry. That won't overcome the other shortcomings for me but it's a start, though I can't confirm if it works because I simply don't have the energy to even load the game up again and try and battle my way through the UI.

Also, Forward / Back in the control assignments are Enter (Confirm) / Escape (Cancel). No wonder I didn't assign them, since those controls were on the same screen as the things for changing ABS, TC, Motec display etc. According to another post from one of the devs there, keyboard support for menus is coming in a hotfix.

I tried to set FXAA instead of Temporal and it helps to get rid of blurriness but it makes image way to noisy, extreme aliasing in action.
What really helps is setting global super sampling in Oculus Tray Tool higher than 1.6, but the performance impact in this case is killing playability completely.

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Ouch - was not expecting it to be so rough at this stage..... Will have to give them until release ofcourse but right now its a long long way off AC and PC2 for me.

As Cluck said I dont think I will look at this much if at all until release....

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I finally had a go earlier, and I'm excited for what's to come. I have a 970 & a rift, so to get a steady framerate in night & stormy conditions I had to turn the resolution multiplier down to 70%. In this case I found the temporal AA on medium to be very useful & actually pretty impressive. It's already blurry at 70% resolution, and in driving I only found dashboard clarity to be an issue. So looking past this, the temporal AA cleaned up the jaggies perfectly, with a surprisingly small impact on fps.

I'm liking the driving too, I even had a go on some old favourites in AC, I forgot how good it was :D

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
I take it ACC discussion can go here? Hopefully sometime soon they give us real triple screen support. I can't try out ACC without getting motion sickness.:(

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I take it ACC discussion can go here? Hopefully sometime soon they give us real triple screen support. I can't try out ACC without getting motion sickness.:(

They still haven't implemented proper Triple Screen support? Meh :/

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Just did my first laps in ACC and I gotta say I really like it!

Getting through the menu in VR without a mouse is a bit of a pain and I can’t reach certain buttons in some sub menus but at least the keyboard support is now in.

6DOF VR works and it looks really impressive! The far distance is a bit blurry, a bit like depth of field effect. FXAA looks horrible and temporal below high is also very noisy. On high it does an amazing job of smoothing the picture and completely eliminating jaggies. I hope they introduce some finer settings, post processing seems to include a bunch of effects. Have that on medium for now.

I found the rating system a surprisingly nice touch, pushing to drive a bit better, cleaner, faster. Interesting how the systems analyses your driving, how much you slide, how aggressive you are on brakes, turn in and acceleration. Looks promising imho :)

Only drove the Lambo with default setup on Nurburgring GP. The driving itself took a bit getting used too but was quite rewarding after I figured it out. Very hard to be quick and consistent.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Just did my first laps in ACC and I gotta say I really like it! ... The far distance is a bit blurry, a bit like depth of field effect. FXAA looks horrible and temporal below high is also very noisy. On high it does an amazing job of smoothing the picture and completely eliminating jaggies. I hope they introduce some finer settings, post processing seems to include a bunch of effects. Have that on medium for now.

I've just finished a long session myself, getting settings sorted for my new gtx 1080 :D Even with all low settings, I'm still not getting a steady 90 fps. So I've forced on ASW (can't see much difference to 90 fps), and I've got most settings on high, apart from shadows (low). Man it looks good! I now have a good config for full grid races with all day/weather combos.

The temporal AA is amazing, and I'm willing to put up with the blurryness for those smooth lines. I found increasing the resolution to 150% brought back some clarity on the car dashboards, but the performance hit was too high. Also, you'll want to have the effects on high for the rain effects. Driving without wipers is terrifying! The Lambo annoyingly sometimes has a wiper blind spot in the lower left corner of the windscreen, which is exactly where I'm looking for some apexes around the Nurburgring. At night, If the wiper doesn't clear the water in time, I have to kind of guess where to turn in for the final chicance. :oops:

Oh, and I've never had this much fun (or a rewarding challenge) driving GT3 cars. The sound is great too. Very excited for things to come!

Users who are viewing this thread