Really interesting how many problems you had with AC, must be really bad luck on you side...So being the off-season, I decided to get AC installed finally and see what all the fuss is about. My experience so far....
Log into game. Spend 15 minutes working out how to get into any kind of session
Wonder why nothing works: wheel, pedals etc. 30 mins later unplugging/replugging in my USB extension gives me back everything (not AC related)
Configure wheel etc.
Decide I might as well try the current season car and next track
Spend the next hour downloading "various things" for AC
return to the game, work out how to enable helicorsa/pit penalties
finally log into a practice session @ Detroit with Ginetta. Drive for 5 mins.
Spend next 30 minutes trying to work out how to recentre VR (answer you can't in AC, but can if you use Content Manager).
log into practice session. Try to drive for a bit, get annoyed at having to switch to a mouse to do anything. dpads don't exist in AC it seems.
Remember how PC2 is great at game UI and accessibility
Go back into session, determined to actually do some laps. Get annoyed at CTRL+SPACE
Drive for 30 minutes. Maybe getting the hang of it, but wonder why on earth people rave about AC. Disappointing car and a bleach-white "street circuit" that you can barely see the corners.
Frustration takes over, time for bed.
Next Day, decide to give AC another go.
Spend a hour working out content manager
load up game, find my wheel no longer works
move content manager out of the AC folders
rerun wheel wizard about 100 times while trying to work out what happened.
Loads up 2004 F1 Ferrari and silverstone.
NOW I GET IT WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME HOW AMAZING THIS IS GUYS DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN DRIVE LIKE AN F1 DRIVER IN THIS THING???
so yeah...its going ok.
Started back then with the Vanilla launcher and imo it was pretty much straight on and I never had real issues with the wheel and controls. It took me a bit to get how the mods and apps (activate it in the main menu and then use them by going into a session and hover with the mouse to the right side of the screen) are working.
The Ginetta on Detroit is probably one of the worst AC experiences you can get as the track looks really bad and the physical road mesh is one of worst I experienced in AC. The Ginetta itself isn't too bad and provides really good racing but the driving experience is not really something special.
- download the Shaders Patch and Sol -> this will give you AC2.0 (night driving, working headlight, full 24h cycles, rain, etc. etc. etc.)
- Mod cars:
- RSS Formula Hybrid (paid mod)
- RSS GT1 (paid mod)
- F3 (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rsr-formula-3.8040/)
- Caterham (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/caterham-7-super-sprint-1995.16143/)
- Seat Leon Eurocup
- Mod tracks:
- Mosport, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- Road Atlanta
- Tor Poznan
- Lime Rock
- LA Canyons
- Donington (2018 and older mod)
- Watkins Glen
- Virgina Raceway
- Chang Raceway
- Paul Ricard
- Le Mans
- Joy2Key (awesome for VR users as you can map CTRL + SPACE to a wheel button -> download the AC app, install it and set the keybind up inside the AC folder, so Joy2Key starts when you start AC)
- Helicorsa (radar app)
- Formula Hybrid on every present F1 track (best: Spa, Monza, Barcelona)
- RSS3 on almost every circuit (Spa, Tor Poznan, VIR, Paul Ricard, Mosport, Road Atlanta)
- Porsche 911 Cup on Donington in the sunset or sundawn
- Porsche 911 Cup on Nordschleife
- F3 on Tor Poznan
- Caterham on Brands Hatch GP
- any GT3 or 911 Cup on Bathurst
- RSS GT1s on Spa in an accelerated 24h cycle