Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thing is, the po-faced 'dry and boring' comment is correct if you view it from the average person in the street's viewpoint. If you buy a racing game, chances are you just want to race, not spend 5 hours nerding over ride heights, camber, toe etc. . Sure, that appeals to probably the majority of the members here, but then you're probably not the average car racing gamer.

If SMS have managed to squeeze in 64-car limits, driver swaps and abandoned the reliance on Steam for multiplayer, then it could be worth a look-in but without inside knowledge, that's anyone's guess (and no, I don't know)

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Austin's drive around looking better..

Scenery still flies by way too fast but hoping we can disable those effects
He nearly does a gt3 lap time with a road legal c7 while drifting all around

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It's a modified C7, it's even mentioned in the video title....

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
He nearly does a gt3 lap time with a road legal c7 while drifting all around
About 10 seconds slower is doubtly "nearly" for interlagos

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
According to this poster motion blur effect in photo mode still same weird as in pCARS2 :p

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah let s be honnest it might be a great game, NFS Shift and GRID were one of my best racing experiences I've had in my life. Hell I'd just reinstall NFS Underground 2 just for the nostalgia! But we are all evolving. Personnally these games opened the door for sim racing. PCars 1 & 2 made me discover the thrill of online sim league races. Now I feel I'm more interested in the competitive aspect of sim racing so I'm moving to Iracing. I just have a hard time coming back to casual race game just because my interests have shifted. I like the fact it's challenging to drive a race car with realistic physics, let alone be fast in it. PCARS3 might be an excellent racing game, just not for me and that is ok :)

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
...these games opened the door for sim racing. PCars 1 & 2 made me discover the thrill of online sim league races. Now I feel I'm more interested in the competitive aspect of sim racing so I'm moving to Iracing...

That's the key point. Noone starts with IRacing (RF, AC etc.). For the majority of gamers the start of journey is always a game with fun carrier mode like GRID, TOCA or NFS Shift. And let's be honest the niche of fun but still realistic enough racing games is currently empty. Next year Sony players will get their GT7, xbox Players will probably get a new Forza, but for now it's a good time to give a fun game with solid physics to those who are not yet interested in "boring" competitive simulations.
When I played GRID and later NFS Shift1 with big interest, the more sim-oriented NetKar-Pro, RF1 seemed too boring to me as they weren't adopted to gamepad users. And what is more important their lack of content and no carrier mode was also a reason to stay away from them.
I do hope that PCARS3 will be the game for players like me 15 years ago, the game that will introduce the competitive sim-oriented gameplay for newbies who overgrown NFS and Horizon but not ready yet for RF2 and IRacing.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Don't know exactly what to think of this... but it scares me a little...
"Nick Pope: Principal Vehicle Handling Designer: So, for example, by removing tyre wear and fuel usage, we could in turn remove pitstops, which resulted in much closer and more consistent racing. Thus, the whole process of getting to the part that matters most—the actual racing and driving of these amazing cars and their upgrades—became a far easier and more streamlined affair. All these game design decisions have had great results in terms of the racing— with the tyres at their optimal range all the time and fuel at optimal load, there is no break in the action to stop for more fuel or new rubber. It’s pure racing action, and it’s just made Project CARS 3 into a much better racing-driver experience."

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
wowie - pitstops, tyre wear and fuel usage all gone. Thats a pretty radical swing away from sim racing for a lot of people I think.

I spend most of my time racing in quick bursts when I have 30 mins here and there and honestly when I drive like that I dont typically do pitstops and Im completely shit with setups / finding ideal tyre performance etc... so for those sessions this is ok for me....

Although I do like to have a cool down lap and drive into the pits.....

However for actually trying to simulate an event properly - this is a non starter really - its just if Im really honest thats not something I particularly do anyway and I also avoid races longer than 1 hour anyway as my concentration levels just cant cope.

I do however get that this will alienate the majority of those who like to tinker and work on strategies...

Will be fascinating to see what this is really like after the marketing campaign rubbish... it had better feel pretty damned good though - because AMS2 & ACC are setting the bar pretty high....

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If it applies across the board and not just in the career mode, then it's not going to appeal to a great many folk here who are a little more serious about their racing. At the moment, I'm staying patient and waiting to see if SMS are simply starting their marketing with the aim of attracting new, more casual, players or players that tried the previous games and were put off by the sim aspects, leaving the 'serious' stuff until later in the campaign.

With 2 months to go, there's no rush to pre-order, so far better to wait for more info and, if you're still on the fence on release day, wait for reviews or somebody else here to buy it and tell you how it is.

EDIT: Also, IF this is the direction the game is going, as a whole, then SMS did indeed pull a blinder licensing out the engine to the Reiza team. Get your sim kicks there and get your fun here, that kinda deal.

EDIT: I will add, IF I was still racing and IF those elements aren't in the game at all, then I doubt I'd be buying pCARS3 either. But again, we don't actually know yet. One other thing worth bearing in mind. If you're marketing a game, are you going to spend your time marketing to the 2 million people who might buy it, or to the few thousand who are still playing your previous game ;). I know where I'd spend the money.

Patience is the watchword

Last edited:

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
With 2 months to go, there's no rush to pre-order, so far better to wait for more info and, if you're still on the fence on release day, wait for reviews or somebody else here to buy it and tell you how it is.
Good old steam refund policy - no risk :)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Good old steam refund policy - no risk :)
That too!

And at the end of the day, it will be disappointing to a lot of pCARS1 and 2 players IF (that 'if' word again!) this is the direction the game has been taken, but it is what it is.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
That too!

And at the end of the day, it will be disappointing to a lot of pCARS1 and 2 players IF (that 'if' word again!) this is the direction the game has been taken, but it is what it is.
Well maybe now I will finally give other games a try ... bought AC, Dirt Rally and F1 2016 (lol) ages ago and ACC recently. Or switch to iRacing because I prefer racing in VR...
Sad story because the graphics of PCARS and the VR immersion of the game, got me into sim-racing.... :rolleyes:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If you like VR, you're not exactly going to like AC or ACC (to be fair to ACC I haven't tried it in a LONG time but performance is still a sticking point I gather (happy to be corrected on this) but AC just annoyed me with its VR implementation). The only 3 sims I've played where VR "just worked" were pCARS1, pCARS2 and iRacing. I suspect it will be just dandy in AMS2 aswell, but I haven't tried. Oh, rFactor2 was OK but it made me nauseous, the only game to do that to me in 4 years of VR use.

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
If you like VR, you're not exactly going to like AC or ACC (to be fair to ACC I haven't tried it in a LONG time but performance is still a sticking point I gather (happy to be corrected on this) but AC just annoyed me with its VR implementation). The only 3 sims I've played where VR "just worked" were pCARS1, pCARS2 and iRacing. I suspect it will be just dandy in AMS2 aswell, but I haven't tried. Oh, rFactor2 was OK but it made me nauseous, the only game to do that to me in 4 years of VR use.
ACC is no go for VR!
I will not be tired to repeat again that it really amuses me how Kunos managed to f..ck up with VR implementation using the most VR friendly game engine (Unreal Engine). Runs smoothly and nicely on flat screen though.
AMS2 is as good in VR as pCARS2, no surprises here.

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Well maybe now I will finally give other games a try ... bought AC, Dirt Rally and F1 2016 (lol) ages ago and ACC recently. Or switch to iRacing because I prefer racing in VR...
Sad story because the graphics of PCARS and the VR immersion of the game, got me into sim-racing.... :rolleyes:
iracing VR is fantastic - its easily the clearest of all implementations so thoroughly recommend - the FFB can be shockingly bad for some cars but really engaging for others but its missing over the limit control - still worth trying - get a months worth and just try it.

After that AMS2 is essentially PC2 VR wise, a little clearer, better performance with visuals a little more rough around the edges (hands reaching for gear shift in completely wrong places, legs clipping badly through wheels, just not as polished generally but really engaging FFB and a bucket load of cool tracks u have never heard of before likely).

So either of those I cant see going wrong - but then PC3 (potentially) purely from a VR perspective could trump AMS2 if they have added additional enhancements from PC2....

In short spoilt for choice :)

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I've got a bad feeling it's game wide not just career mode...

Jussi Karjalainen: Handling QA Lead: To make it a little easier to understand—tyres aren’t part of “what suits the weather situation” problem anymore, they’re now “how much performance do we want”. Within most real-world racing series, hard and soft tyres are meant to be alternatives to each other, depending on the temperature, track type and strategy. But from one racing series to another, there exist differences in outright performance. A cheaper slick used in a regional series is usually worse than what a national GT3 series would use, GTE/prototype slicks can be two seconds a lap faster than GT3 tyres, and the rubber compounds used for Formula 1 are even faster than that. The core temperature of the tyre is locked to the “optimum” value (what you’d want to heat the tyres up to in Project CARS 2), but all of the layers from there towards the outside are still fully dynamic.

Casey Ringley: Vehicle Technical Art and Handling: The tyres being locked at ideal temperature and constant pressure means the tyre pressure setup is simpler as well. So, comparing to Project CARS 2, the only difference is that we reset the core tread temperature to an ideal setpoint at the start of each physics tick. And we do this to avoid penalising drivers who don’t have endless hours to assess their tyre wear before races. In the real world, teams come to race weekends already armed with all that data.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It does look more and more like that. It's certainly not going to appeal to almost everybody here and the multiplayer side is going to be a total non-starter if it's "no pits, no strategy etc". IF that's the case then it's fair to say the sim-racing kicks from the Madness Engine are going to have to come from AMS2.

Personally, though, I'll probably buy it and start trying to hone my controller driving skillz. Who knows, I might even get as good as Fubii one day :D

EDIT: Interestingly, Nathan Bell posted this in the Discord, in reply to ASturbo's query concerning why any league would want to buy it

"We have, Asturbo, League racing is as good as ever sir

More info to follow"

Which brings me back to wondering whether all of this stuff revealed IS just for the career mode. But time to wait and see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread