iRacing Chit Chat (4 Viewers)

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
Nordschleife for Nürburgring Combined?

Or go to the BPSS boards on the iRacing forum and check out the track list. You will find tracks there that have been raced before but are not in this season. Since they have some rotation system in the BPSS they will probably return at some point.

Last edited:

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Going track shopping tonight after the promo, grabbing 7 tracks have chosen the following 6 but need suggestions for the last one, would be nice to have a crystal ball to see the next season track list for IMSA & Blancpain and get another one that will be on the future schedules but we can dream :) The only other track content I have at the moment is Bathurst & Watkins Glen

Circuit Zolder
Road America
Suzuka International Racing Course
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Silverstone Circuit
Nürburgring Grand-Prix-Strecke

Bulging bags of fun. I haven't purchased Silverstone yet as it's an old layout. They are working on a new layout at the moment, which you will probably have to buy again, hope you saved some credits.

Been working on getting my B licence, not going great as keep getting caught up in other peoples accidents which looses me points, which kind of defeats the object. o_O

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
I went brand's hatch for the last one and had enough spare for the Audi R8, So have all the GT3 cars except the Z4 now so lots of car choice in the IMSA / Blancpain series.

Getting caught in other peoples accidents is the main challenge for me too, Surviving the first two laps is normally key, which if your in the back of the pack can be difficult, people tend in a big rush which ultimately ends in failure, but that being said generally it's been pretty good racing so far.

I just take it slow and let people past, especially around bathurst that was a good tactics as ultimately they would wreck there car a couple of laps earlier and just having a car pass the finish line would get you in the top 15 :)

I ran the Formula Renault in C class, perhaps people are a bit more careful in the open wheelers as any contact is pretty much end of story there, in the GT3 class there is a bit more bumping as it doesn't always wreck your car.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I tried the FR2.0, but no matter what I set things too it would not let me change down when I wanted to, so I kept going wide, so I binned that idea and went for the Mazda MX5 Advanced for gash racing towards B licence. From now on i'm just going to make sure I start right at the back and pick people off during the race, shouldn't get caught up in first corner melee then . . . hopefully. :confused:

Really looking forward to running Blancpain and IMSA and special races. :)

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So I did try the Audi and Nissan last weekend, both good fun cars, but wasn't ready to try a race in either of them.

@2scoops @Bassetts have you tried the Skip Barber? Don't be put off by the fact it's a class D car or the fact that it looks a bit dull and often runs on obscure short circuits, the racing is the best and closest I've ever had and it splits every hour.

So long as you're in a middle to upper split close racing is pretty much guaranteed, do some practice first. It's easy to drive at an average pace, but hard to master. Last week at Sebring the whole grid was qualifying within a second. Being relatively small and slow with good visibility from the cockpit allows you to run really close with other cars and the draft means the groups of cars naturally stay together. At Sebring I had races where we were going three wide into T1 lap after lap and never made contact, passing and repassing several times a lap just fantastic fun.

It's on the Nordschliefe this week though, so experience won't be representative of normal Skip. That being said I'm going to give it a go, if you're ever going to find a competitive and clean public race on the Ring in a forgiving car that has some chance of getting to the finish it has to be in the Skip.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I started off in the Skippy and yes, it was great and very popular, but as it doesn't go towards improving your rating, which is what i'm working on, I don't race it now.

Yorkie_065

Community Member
Reaction score
Recently done three races in the Proto GT series to try and gain some iRacing....

..bad idea! My first one at Sebring went well actually though! Knew the track so was able to dial in pretty quick and had good speed, was on for a good finishing position but a late spin, and changing tyres put me down further than I had hoped. Managed to claw back some positions lost in the pits and was closing the gap to 4th by multiple seconds per lap but yeah...that spin happened. Far too many incident points in that one too!

This week was at Monza though, and did two race. Both races ended in disaster with a mix of silly little mistakes, and being hit by other people. IRating's gone down from 2355 to 2170. A little annoyed, as the HPD is a fun car. Next week track switches to Le Mans so hoping to claw back some iRating there and get a whole bunch of practice in too!

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
Let me know what nights your gonna do and I'll try and join.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Haven't done the Monza race yet, can't normally get the time until Saturday or Monday evening. Le Mans will be great next week, did a few when the track was released so pretty happy with a setup already.

Yorkie_065

Community Member
Reaction score
Thinking of doing some testing tonight, providing I don't get dragged out by people. There's a session up going on until 11:30pm which will be good to get a few of us into. Either thinking that or trying to knock some more iRating off in a Monza race :p

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed you @Yorkie_065, I've been out all day. I'm going to do a few laps tomorrow after the door bangers races.

Yorkie_065

Community Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed you @Yorkie_065, I've been out all day. I'm going to do a few laps tomorrow after the door bangers races.

It's cool! I did a race at Monza which was....very eventful! Had a crap quali and started 12th, got hit in the back before the green by someone being too eager (no damage though..somehow), got spun on the first lap into Ascari, had to wait for the entire HPD field to pass before I could rejoin, and got swarmed by 5 astons so I was 26th in class, + 5 positions (so 31st), then just went HAM (Hard-Ass-Motherf**ker) on the rest of the field after that and finished in 8th.

Was reasonably happy as other than being hit at the start and Ascari, wasn't really any other mistakes. My wheel momentarily disconnected in the first stint (does it for about 5 seconds, and fortunately it was on a straight) so when it came back it was a little bit...buggy. It basically twitches slightly mid corner, and sometimes double shifts or changes gears on it's own. Reset my wheel in the pitstop but in doing so, I lose my pedal calibration so on the worn tyres, I was having to put about 30-40% of usual pressure in to get max braking without locking the wheels. Anything more and I'd just lock the brakes.

The wheel issue I fear is going to hit at Le Mans, as I think my wheel might be dying. I can't really figure out a way to solve it at the moment as it happens sporadically, I've tried updating drivers, I've tried re-installing the software but no avail. My only hope is that it either A- happens before the race starts in practice, and that it's just a one time thing. Or B- it happens on a straight and I have to live with it's slightly buggy nature for the rest of the stint or double stint.

As for Sunday though. I should be on again in the evening after building the outdoor office and had dinner.

Yorkie_065

Community Member
Reaction score
Just a note for all who are thinking of doing the Le Mans 24 hours event; The Proto GT championship is racing at Le Mans for this week (18th Oct - 24th Oct) and it's a good way to get your eye in for the 24 hour event!

Races in the evening are at 6:45pm, 8:45pm and 10:45pm UK times, 8 mins quali (just about 2 flying laps in the HPD (including a small spin :p )) and a 1hr 30min race. You will need to do a stop, and haven't quite worked out the fuel loads for them yet but it's nearly a full tank for both stints.

Did a race last night, started 6th (on a full tank of fuel) and finished 7th. Had a couple of small spins and had 2 stops as I took too little fuel for the first stint and not enough for the second. Could have easily had a 3rd place though, maybe higher, as had the pace for it but the mistakes let me down. Seems like from around 7th place and back get bogged up real bad in the chicane at the start so seems like 6th or better is the place to be if you want plenty of room front and back for the first few turns.

But yeah, it's a very good way to get a feel for the race start and managing the traffic so good preparation for the 24 hours. I know I'm going to be doing the 8:45 slots each night (except Thursday) as prep so feel free to hit me up if you fancy joining too. I shall be in TS just before and when racing :)

Daneracer

Community Member
Reaction score
hi guys, I am new here. I have run 2 races in iracing 2 years ago. I started last in both on purpose and finished second in both. Have not run it since. Maybe I should try it again. I tried it with Cv1 and like it better than Pcars for visuals. I ran a few laps in the Caddi at lime rock with default and got within .8 seconds of fastest time so maybe I will try it and get my license. Can I race any car when I get license or do I have to advance more?

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
hi guys, I am new here. I have run 2 races in iracing 2 years ago. I started last in both on purpose and finished second in both. Have not run it since. Maybe I should try it again. I tried it with Cv1 and like it better than Pcars for visuals. I ran a few laps in the Caddi at lime rock with default and got within .8 seconds of fastest time so maybe I will try it and get my license. Can I race any car when I get license or do I have to advance more?

Hey Daneracer,

cool that you found the way to us :) As far as I know the better license you get the more content you can drive. As soon as you hit the C-license you are able to run endurance races. A-license you can do Blancpain Sprint Series or Formula Championship.

Daneracer

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. See you guys on the track.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Matt Malone my favourite iRacing streamer. Yesterday he did a 40 car mazda race on Laguna Seca but watch for yourself :D

Daneracer

Community Member
Reaction score
For some reason I find Iracing easier that Project Cars. Was able to get to the limit better. Project Cars is a little numb for me. Maybe the way I have FFB set.

InsaneBase

Community Member
Reaction score
iRacing generally only gives the FFB of what you would feel at the wheel IRL, while in pCars you can add in lots of extra effects.

Try Jack Spade's "pure" FFB settings, that should bring you a little bit closer.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
that is so wrong on so many levels. iRacing's feel for the front tires is very numb, much less detailed than in a real car. Also there are no canned effects in pCARS. But I agree on Jack Spades files, they help a lot.

I would describe the pCARS FFB as the more natural, also the way you can drive with it and use it for car control, whereas in iRacing you need to rely on other feedback methods, like tire sound.

Users who are viewing this thread