Cube Controls - Formula Steering Wheel Pro (1 Viewer)

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Well to celebrate my 20th year at work (yep that starts to show my age) the company provides a contribution toward a gift of my choice. :)

I had already ordered the Fanatec Mclaren GT3 wheel back in November last year, but with that now being delayed until April I decided i would cancel that order and put the money from it alongside my companies anniversary contribution to something a bit special to celebrate :)

One of my team mates from the Bathurst 12hr was talking to me about his new rim from a company called Cube Controls (http://www.cubecontrols.it) and I was really impressed, so I started to have a look into their Formula Steering Wheel

At a glance it has:
  • 13 momentary buttons
  • 2 on/off toggle switches with status led
  • 4 front rotary encoders, two “thumb” rotary encoders
  • Multi directional joystick with integrated encoder
  • Magnetic switch less paddle shifters and clutch levers
  • Launch control clutch system
  • Carbon fibre front plate
  • Custom elastomer moulded grips (available in black, blue and red)
  • All aluminium parts are CNC machined and anodised
There are a number of customisation options around the appearance of the wheel and I reached out to them early this week about a possible order for a wheel. So far I've been really impressed with the customer service during always being very helpful and answering my question. They provided a nice template I could use to help with the customisation options.

I used the template to try a number of different options and after about 10 or so different iterations of design I came up with the following for my choice.

upload_2018-3-1_7-17-30.png

With the design mapped out I went ahead yesterday and placed the order. I'm really excited about the whole process and looking forward to the end result, i'll keep you posted as the build progresses :)

Last edited:

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
@UnstopaPaul I probably shouldn't tell you of my plans for after the Formula rim arrives, so in that case don't read down.

After the Formula Rim arrives, I'm going to be looking at selling my like new Fanatec BMW GT Wheel and SRM Direct Drive Fanatec Wheel Hub Adopter to fund one of these ...

http://www.cubecontrols.it/pagina-3el3u4kk.htm

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Would the Momo bolt pattern not match your current setup?

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
@2scoops yep the Q1R is a 6x70mm PCD mount so I could just bolt a Momo wheel straight to the motor, but it would have no gear paddles or buttons.

But thanks you have given me food for thought, I could just get the Momo wheel to start and then get the shifter/button box after, granted it could only really be used with traditional cars where I would use the clutch and Sequential/H Pattern box. But could be a stop gap. I Will have to cost it up and see which makes the most sense.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I presume your current buttons are part of the wheel.

I'm going to be looking for a formula rim, but have to replace one of my screens first, could have done without that. I've got a list of upgrades I want to do, only thing is the list gets longer :D

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Yep, i'm using the Fanatec Formula Carbon & BMW GT2 rim's at the moment, they are a complete unit with wheel, buttons and shifters all in the same enclosure.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
This looks pretty cool! Just out of pure curiosity/lacking knowledge: This registers as a separate controller, doesn't it? It is not compatibel with the wheel base in terms of button functions etc.?!

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
@Shepard With most direct drive systems such as the OSW/SimuCube the motor itself doesn't have any electronics to handle the buttons, shift padels or the rim electronics.

The wheels connect to the motor with a purely mechanical quick release connector, many types are available but the Q1R below is the most common in use.

The wheel rim then has a coiled USB connection which connects the rim buttons into the system. So in short answer to your question each rim is registered as a different controller.

In iRacing this isn't too bad as you can map controls on a per car basis if you choose to cater for a number of different wheel types. I'm going to be running a formula rim for most modern classes LMP, GTE, GT3 and Formula Classes and then a GT rim for the more traditional type cars.

You could also probably do something with Joy2Key or SVMapper to multiplex all the wheel inputs to the same key presses in other sims that don't support per car control setups.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks for for details @Bassetts. I wasn't aware of you using a DD wheelbase. Pretty cool, but way out of my league. :(

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Cube is in the building :)

Going to stream a bit of an unboxing and first setup on twitch later tonight :)

DSCN9671.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread