DIY Porsche Cup Steering wheel (1 Viewer)

Nismo

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi guys!

So one night I was laying in bed and couldn't sleep.. just thinking about how cool it would be to have a Porsche steering wheel.

So I set my mind to it and did it; First I Did some research and found out that the original wheel is 320mm. That was to big for me so I searched for an alternative. I Found the Fanatec R300, The shape of the wheel is bang on; it just only being a 300mm steering wheel. Perfect!

I Looked up images of the real deal, and scaled it down to be the same size as mine. This way I could make a aluminium plate for my buttons to scale. I Drew this in Fusion 360 and lazer cutted it at work. I Wrapped that with a carbon decal en voilla.

Now it started to look more and more like the Porsche rim.

I 3D Printed some parts by AMStudio (Look on youtube, the guy makes awesome stuff) and it fitted really good on this steeringwheel so I went with it.

The end result >>>

20200610_164723_0.jpg

20200610_164733_0.jpg

20200610_164749_0.jpg

20200610_164758.jpg

20200610_164809.jpg

20200610_164843.jpg

20200610_164850.jpg

Im sure I will enjoy the hell out of this one! Its such a satisfying thing to have build your own thing from scratch!

If you have any questions; feel free to ask them!

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
This is cool, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea of where to start!

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
usually with a cup of coffee (or tea) & a vague notion of what you want to achieve ;D
1591882604710.png

here's one I designed years ago for Formula Student; buttons were gear shift as we couldn't afford paddles at the time.
1591882964506.png

the English walnut came up nicely against the carbon fibre... A nice comparison to the wheels that came before, store bought circa '09. the teams first self made oak wheel in the middle done in '15.
Think the team took my initial concept to full fruition with water proof carbon fibre paddles & leather hand grips for that... elegant, sophisticated retro touch.
CAD can take you down some pretty deep dark rabbit holes if you get drawn into it..

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well if you have ideas but dont really know how to make them come to life, just ask around! Many of us here have technical background and can help achieve that. Also with 3D printers nowadays you can really try different things and produce prototypes very cheap and very fast!
Post automatically merged:

Hi guys!

So one night I was laying in bed and couldn't sleep.. just thinking about how cool it would be to have a Porsche steering wheel.

So I set my mind to it and did it; First I Did some research and found out that the original wheel is 320mm. That was to big for me so I searched for an alternative. I Found the Fanatec R300, The shape of the wheel is bang on; it just only being a 300mm steering wheel. Perfect!

I Looked up images of the real deal, and scaled it down to be the same size as mine. This way I could make a aluminium plate for my buttons to scale. I Drew this in Fusion 360 and lazer cutted it at work. I Wrapped that with a carbon decal en voilla.

Now it started to look more and more like the Porsche rim.

I 3D Printed some parts by AMStudio (Look on youtube, the guy makes awesome stuff) and it fitted really good on this steeringwheel so I went with it.

The end result >>>

View attachment 9135

View attachment 9136

View attachment 9137

View attachment 9138

View attachment 9139

View attachment 9140

View attachment 9141

Im sure I will enjoy the hell out of this one! Its such a satisfying thing to have build your own thing from scratch!

If you have any questions; feel free to ask them!
May I ask you where you bought the buttons, electronics, etc?

Last edited:

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Eheheh look who's got the same lockdown project :p
View attachment 9145
I've also seen the very cool diy videos from avx studio and it actually inspired to not reproduce but to design my own wheel. So yeah I took the hard route and made it my lockdown project. Just for the hell of it you know? I really didn't know where to start at first because well ... I didn't know how to design a wheel... but I kinda trusted my skills and started to take measurement of my current wheel, hand and fingers. I came up with something that looked ergonomical and 3d printed a prototype handle not expecting much result... and dude I was shocked because it was bang on at first try! :D I love these 3d printers you can just make it real and stop worrying if it s gonna be perfect and make progress with a few iterations. So if you have questions on how to design a handle for your anatomy I'd be glad to help ^^ the biggest limitation to me and the reason why the project isn't finished yet is the carbon fiber plate... I had made it myself at work but the project it was supposed to be used in shut down so it was useless until I decided to find it a new purpose. The problem with carbon fiber is that it is a PITA to cut and drill so I designed the shape it make it the least complicated to manufacture. Plus the plate is too thick (it was supposed to whitstand an aircraft engine explosion...) to easily fit standard button so it added pain. If it gets too painful I might update the design and go for an aluminium plate instead. I actually love to share that story :D <3

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Nismo

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well if you have ideas but dont really know how to make them come to life, just ask around! Many of us here have technical background and can help achieve that. Also with 3D printers nowadays you can really try different things and produce prototypes very cheap and very fast!

May I ask you where you bought the buttons, electronics, etc?
Yes ofcourse, The buttons I used were just some simple 12mm momentary pushbuttons and the electronics are a JoyStick Encoder Board. Very cheap, very easy. The only limitation is the amount of inputs. For this wheel its perfect. For my Audi R8 GT3 wheel I'm building Im gonna use another board linked below.

Buttons:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/3267...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

PCB:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Coiled USB Cable:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=331

PCB For the Audi Wheel:

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=316

Sneak Peak Audi Steeringwheel >>>

20200611_192540.jpg

I've also seen the very cool diy videos from avx studio and it actually inspired to not reproduce but to design my own wheel. So yeah I took the hard route and made it my lockdown project. Just for the hell of it you know? I really didn't know where to start at first because well ... I didn't know how to design a wheel... but I kinda trusted my skills and started to take measurement of my current wheel, hand and fingers. I came up with something that looked ergonomical and 3d printed a prototype handle not expecting much result... and dude I was shocked because it was bang on at first try! :D I love these 3d printers you can just make it real and stop worrying if it s gonna be perfect and make progress with a few iterations. So if you have questions on how to design a handle for your anatomy I'd be glad to help ^^ the biggest limitation to me and the reason why the project isn't finished yet is the carbon fiber plate... I had made it myself at work but the project it was supposed to be used in shut down so it was useless until I decided to find it a new purpose. The problem with carbon fiber is that it is a PITA to cut and drill so I designed the shape it make it the least complicated to manufacture. Plus the plate is too thick (it was supposed to whitstand an aircraft engine explosion...) to easily fit standard button so it added pain. If it gets too painful I might update the design and go for an aluminium plate instead. I actually love to share that story :D <3

Othewise just go for an 2mm alu plate instead like u mentioned. Really easy to work with. Also with Carbon fiber u need to be carefull and take good safety measurements because the fact it being toxic. And yea tough as nails!

Feel free to ask me anything mate! Maybe I can help you start

Last edited:

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Well this is awkward, I work in automation engineering :D
Well put your fingers out of your bottom then xD xD ;) just kidding dude, you never know until you really commit to doing it and help from us can give you a kick start. I didn't know where to start either until I pretended I was at work and was asked "we give you the task to design a wheel" (I was working as a mechanical designer back then). It might sound funny but from that little mental trick I started using my brain to come up we something that does the job of steering a car with all the buttons necessary :)

Users who are viewing this thread