• We are proud to announce Season 10 of the Revolution Cup!
    For more information about the upcoming league follow this link!
  • We are proud to announce Season 4 of the Evolution Series!
  • We are proud to announce Season 3 of the Blancpain Challenge (by PRD and RSR)!

PC2 Resolved Endurance Championship - Rd 5 - Straight Incident (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
Date: 17/06/2018
Event: Endurance Championship - R5: Le Mans
Members Involved: @Col_McCoy @fab. ICEMAN
Description: McCoy and myself going side-by-side onto the first straight. We approach the little right kink (Courbe d'Antares) and on the exit we have contact, causing critical damage on both of our cars.
Evidence:
fab.ICEMAN's view:

Col_McCoy's view:

(Unfortunately I cannot provide footages from the ingame replay)

This is my personal opinion about this incident:

Firstly, I don't quite understand why McCoy is moving extremely close to my car on that right kink (See bottom left from my POV). We are in the beginning of lap 1 and in my opinion there's no need to get 10 cm close while going almost 300 kph on a bumpy uphill section. There wasn't much space left for me on the right side either.

Secondly, McCoy's exit of that right kink doesn't seem natural to me. There was a slight movement to the right just before the initial contact. If you slow down McCoy's POV and watch the middle line, you will see that his car is steadily moving to the right side of the track. We are going through a right-hander and the natural line would be the exact opposite.

I created a little pic to visualize the situation:

You can see in my POV that I'm following the dashed line on the right side almost throughout the corner. (Me being the blue line) Only on the very exit of the corner I move off the line a slight touch.

McCoy (red) kind of follows the middle line until the exit, where he steers a little to the right and causing the contact.

I don't know the reason for this steering input, as I mentioned we're exiting a right hand corner and the following chicane starts with a right-hand corner as well.

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Col_McCoy

Reaction score
It can clearly be seen in my video (POV), that I stick to the white middle line... therefor the graphic above here is totally wrong.

Further more in the right kink, seeing Icemans steering movement, he pretty much goes straight. Also if you look at his relative space between the barriers it increases (meaning he's moving towards the left relatively).

Furthermore, him being in a front view gives very bad view of his relative position of his car to mine.

Furtermore, it can be clearly seen on my view that he was almost behind me, so maybe some netcode/lag error as well.

And as a final thing, people cutting tetre rouge and thereafter keeping full power not to loose any position and creating such a hazardous situation is something I really dislike. If people would just stick to the track limits or give back any advantage, stuff like this doesn't happen as easily

I was going to leave it on a racing indicent, but now that there is a stewards post, as you can see, I clearly have a different view on it.

I blame myself for not leaving the extra room cause it destroyed my race, but this is in no means a plead of guilt... in the contrary

Col_McCoy

Reaction score
Furtermore, it´s clearly seen that the inside of that corner is the shortest way towards the next chicane... look at everybody in front.. thus its the racing line. As well its very clear that in relation towards the drivers in front I stay alot more to the left through the kink than anybode else.

So the question is, why didn´t you make it tighter towards the right.
Ive got 2 answers: you wanted the slipstream of the guys in front and the other is that with your racing view you did not have clear view of whats happening around you.

As I said before, I was not going to blame anyone, but with this riduculous drawing up top, you got me in the wrong corner.

One more thing about your view, is that is very clear Im passing you and the ´proximity locator´ dissappears. So from this point of view you should be more responsible for our 10 cm distance and not me... as im in front and pick up a racing line, ofcourse without running you off the track, which I definetely didnt do.

So @fab. ICEMAN its up to you if you want to keep it going to the stewards, but as you clearly can see, I have a lot to say that contradicts me being at fault.
I blame myself for not giving US enough room, but I surely don´t see me being the guilty one here, in the contrary. If you want to still put it up with the stewards, be my guest, if you want to leave it at the explanations given by both of us.... IM still in for that. But please remove this distorted picture you draw (if this becomes an official stewards case, I already dont allow it to be an open one with this picture inside)

Oh yeah, and anybody reviewing the video should start before Tetre Rouge! Would also be nice if Iceman could upload his clip from here and not just his final seconds, as IMO it has to do with how the situation was evolving and possible certain mindsets!

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
Steward
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
Can we please stick to simply discussing the facts of the case and not ask each other questions or use language likely to result in arguments.

The only reply I want in here, from this point forward, is from fab.ICEMAN as to whether or not he wants to take Col's offer up of closing the case by mutual agreement. If not, the case will move to the stewards with the evidence provided by both parties thus far.

Thank you :)

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
I want this to be moved to the stewards please.

@Col_McCoy, this is absolutely nothing against you on a personal level! I apologize if my post was too harsh, didn't mean to do that. Just wanted to give my view of the incident. I'm with the opinion that this incident is a unlucky (even a bit awkward) situation. With forwarding this to the stewards I would just like to get a neutral judgement on that situation, plus a indication for future incidents of that kind. I don't want to harass you by any means.

Here you can see my POV before Tetre Rouge. Yes, I was indeed going wide on the exit (I didn't cut the corner), but I had to lift immediately anyway and I was slipping off the curb to the right, which in my opinion cost me enough time and speed to equalize the time gained by going wide. I didn't include it in the OP because in my opinion it doesn't affect the following incident. But now you have it. I still want to leave the picture in the OP though, as it (in my opinion) displays the situation in an acceptably (not in a perfect!) way.

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Moved to stewards.

Col_McCoy

Reaction score
Thx for the full video.... I'm also not offended by the fact you want to put it to the stewards. The only realy problem I have is with the picture absolutely not being accurate and us not having the video highlight to give a better 'chase view' of the matter.

On the video it's very clear that, if you take the right part of the 2 lines on mulsane, you drive on the right lane from left to right into the right kink. Looking at your steering inputs you, as soon as you hit the apex, you keep your wheel straight and go to the left again. If you look at the picture you drew, you first of all draw a paralell line for yourself to the right line, saying you stayed right... furthermore you draw a line from my car saying I steered more onto the right (as I explained before and you can see in the video, if you take the middle line my left tyres are dead on it and would have stayed there... any 'harder' steering input to the right is already contact). This 'line from above' just hurts my feelings being so inaccurate, as when I see the picture, I would blame myself ;-).. but I know it didn't happen like that.

It's a shame I don't have access to the highlight video.. would have made it a lot easier to at least have a good video on what happened and where the cars where relatively

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
Steward
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
Thread closed until the stewards have reached a decision

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The Stewards have examined the evidence and have concluded that this is a Racing Incident but are endorsing @Col_McCoy's racing license with 1 License Point for forum conduct.

In reaching their conclusion, the Stewards were in agreement that, on balance, Col_McCoy was the more culpable for the incident but neither he nor fab. ICEMAN did everything they could to avoid the situation developing. The track still provided enough room for both cars to avoid contact with each other. In this instance, a simple glance at the relative box would have confirmed to Col_McCoy that fab was still beside him and not behind.

Drivers are reminded to make use of their relative boxes as much as possible, as well as other on-screen information, to help them better judge the position of another driver on the track.

Thread closed for further comments. @Col_McCoy @fab. ICEMAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)