Fanatec McLaren GT3 rim question (1 Viewer)

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
For those that have it - can you use the rotaries to adjust things like FFB volume / tone & Brake Bias ?

I use a DSD button box for that currently and of all the buttons I use on the fly i would miss those the most when my DD1 comes in December so just wanted to plan ahead....

The McLaren GT3 rim seems mighty tempting but want to be sure the next rim will be able to have a few rotaries that can be used like that.

Thanks !

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Afaik in pcars there is only +/- adjust so no use for rotaries there.

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You can assign one position of the rotary to „off“, so either 12 positions or 11 + off.

This way you can still use it as a switch in pCARS or any other game that can’t make use of this type of positional encoder.

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
You can assign one position of the rotary to „off“, so either 12 positions or 11 + off.

This way you can still use it as a switch in pCARS or any other game that can’t make use of this type of positional encoder.
Sorry to sound dense but... it sounds like you can assign 11 different things to it - but not 1 thing that increments or decrement for instance the FFB or Volume like my rotary dials on my DSD button box does ?

If thats right it must be confusing as hell knowing which click is what thing ?

What do you have assigned to them in pcars2 ?

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yes the usual rotary on Fanatec rims (the funky switch) is basically two buttons, one for right turn one for left. The two rotary encoders in the middle have 12 positions. PCARS and some other games don’t understand that, because it acts as a permanently pressed button (you switch it to say position 5 and it stays there “pressed”).

PCARS wants a button to be pressed and released. There the option to set the first position to be “off” works. From the zero position you click one to the right and back to zero. That counts for pCARS as a button and you could use it for TC as in turn right left, tc low, turn right left tc high and so on. It’s not perfect but it works.

What you can’t do is say TC low is position 1 and so on. If I understand it correctly you can do that in iRacing, I haven’t tried it yet though.

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Yes the usual rotary on Fanatec rims (the funky switch) is basically two buttons, one for right turn one for left. The two rotary encoders in the middle have 12 positions. PCARS and some other games don’t understand that, because it acts as a permanently pressed button (you switch it to say position 5 and it stays there “pressed”).

PCARS wants a button to be pressed and released. There the option to set the first position to be “off” works. From the zero position you click one to the right and back to zero. That counts for pCARS as a button and you could use it for TC as in turn right left, tc low, turn right left tc high and so on. It’s not perfect but it works.

What you can’t do is say TC low is position 1 and so on. If I understand it correctly you can do that in iRacing, I haven’t tried it yet though.
I think Im not explaining well but I think from your answer it may be ok... hopefully below is a better explanation :)

Options > Controls > Edit Assignments Assistance
Increase FFB Vol
Decrease FFB Vol

Right now I have those assigned to a rotary on my DSD button box

If I move it left 1 click it decreases FFB Vol by 5
If I move it right 1 click it increases FFB Vol by 5

More clicks either way increments or decrements the FFB Vol accordingly.

In The menu in PC2 it simply says Increase FFB Vol - Joy Button 11 / Decrease FFB Vol - Joy Button 10.

So every turn left it registers as a click on Joy Button 10 and then decreases the FFB Vol further.

I have same set up with FFB Tone and Brake bias - so i can increase / decrease the values by turning the rotary as above.

Can we do that with the rotaries on the McLaren rim ?

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You can do that with the funky switch as it’s a rotary like on your button box.

You could use the rotary encoders on the McLaren rim but you would have to use two. As how pCARS uses them each of them is only one button (it has 12 positions but in pCARS you can only use it as a single button). So you could use the left one to increase and the right one to decrease yes :)

Just to be clear the GT3 rim has both, one rotary switch and two rotary encoders!

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks Puff - ok - so increase on 1 dial and decrease on another - thats wasteful but doable :)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a bit of a waste but at least you can do something with them this way :)

Users who are viewing this thread