Assetto Corsa Feedback Thread (1 Viewer)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
This is the feedback thread for the Evolution Series - Season 2. Specific feedback that we are looking for includes the following:-
  • Positive, negative, neutral feedback, whatever comes to your mind!
  • Which car would you like to drive for future seasons?
  • How did you like the schedule?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?

@t0daY @Jeff[NL] @Ricardo Macieira @Battenberg @Puffpirat @Noztra @Jomba @Echo @Dama_The_Crow @hinesy32 @Exited @Microlander @David Siska @miagi @Mazy CZ @Alex Salmon @Nada @Angel @cheekymunkey78 @Darksi @Ellisimo @JetPistol @Vernux @Dangerous Gianetta @steveg200 @MATT1 @Diluvian @Stokemon @kobusnell @1185323118 @Mr AlcoN @Erik @MikeyTT @DannyvdMeer @P.Grondstra @Antony Brown @Extrovert @Ben Watkinson @Corentin_Bergès @LoenKilo

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Angel

Community Member
Reaction score
Until I raced in PC2 yesterday I didn't realise how clean our races in AC are :)

Perhaps the only comment i have is that it takes the whole evening, I don't know if I want it any different though.

I agree that discussions or arguments during the race dont benefit anybody, so i guess that is something we can improve.

I don't have anything else in mind keep the good work, I love racing with you guys!

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
  • Positive, negative, neutral feedback, whatever comes to your mind?
I liked the car. It was fairly easy to drive, although not so easy to drive very fast, for me anyway. I thought the quality of the field was good again this year. Lots of seasoned drivers and some new ones too. I enjoyed some of the tracks, others not so much. I think this car suits a fast flowing track to keep the racing close. Was gutted to have missed a couple of rounds. The not so good is really the same thing every year. The abuse and shouting on TS. I think people need to have a bit more respect during the race. Overall, a positive review on the season. Looking forward to the next one, hopefully.
Hmmm, this is were I'm never sure. I'm slow in most things, although my driving style tends to suit slower stuff. Usually things like GT cars, FWD touring cars etc. Not a fan of open wheeler, but I'll be along to make up the numbers.
Quite liked the break every two weeks, although maybe if it is only 6 rounds, 1 break in the middle might be enough.
As always, fantastic work by everyone behind the scenes. Ricardo, Noz, Manu, people who help out with breifings and general running of the league. Also not fogetting the skins, great work every season by everyone who puts them together.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I feel it's time to open up the setup after 2 seasons getting used to AC. Especially with the open secret of the season 3 car. It's tricky and needs some setup work to suit every driving style. While a default ist nice to get started and easier to get into a race, it ultimately only suits one driving style. The gaps this season showed this, with a car so slow as the Ginetta the gaps should've been smaller.

We could try the current F2 format, quali -> feature race -> top 8 reverse sprint race. The feature race is 170km, the sprint 120km, which is about 1h and 40mins. We could do something like 40mins with mandatory pit stop plus 30min sprint, or 35/25 if we want to stay closer to 1h of pure driving. F3 uses a format very similar to our S2, reverse Top 8, equal race1/2 lenght and no pitstop.

Ricardo

Staff Assetto Corsa
#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
We could try the current F2 format, quali -> feature race -> top 8 reverse sprint race. The feature race is 170km, the sprint 120km, which is about 1h and 40mins. We could do something like 40mins with mandatory pit stop plus 30min sprint, or 35/25
The "problem" here is that we cant do 2 different lenght races in ac without reconfig server,because the 2 race format is only 1 session in sercer cfg file. To be able to do it we need 2 server cfg files with the different race lenghts and do the reverse grid manually

Corentin_Bergès

Community Member
Reaction score
  • Positive
I liked the track choices, good to race on new tracks (i had never driven any track we've done except donington) and even the one i thought would be horrible were very fun.
The car choice was great, i had fun driving it and practising (i think both are important, having a car fun to battle with and fun to race alone for practise).
Battles on the track were also fun and most of the time respectful, and i've had here among my best fights in my sim racing history.
  • Neutral
Moded content sometimes reserve surprises and i was quite gutted to rule Nogaro out, given the long time i had taken practising on it.
TS chatter was not awesome but not terrible (terrible for me was last Pcars2 race).
  • Negative
Driver briefing begins when qualifications start. That leads to variable qualification duration, i didn't really like it. Sometimes you had 10 min, sometimes 20.
I've driven only road cars in AC besides the ginetta, so i have absolutely no idea. How about gt4s (maybe bit to close from the ginetta), TC ?
Perfect, not too much overlap with Pcars2 revolution cup.
Make the blue flag rule clearer to avoid after race unnecessary drama and hard words.
Overall a good first Assetto Corsa experience for me, and will definitly take part in the next season.
I also love the fact you can create your own livery.
Restricted setup was for me perfect, not having downside of complelty open setup when you have to practise hours to get it right for each track, but open enough to suit your driving style.
  • Next season format
I still hope one day to see pit stops mandatory not for the sake of making it mandatory, but with a pit window and because you have to do it (tyres management for example). For this season R2 was always much more entertaining than R1 in terms of battle of the track, so i think top10 reverse grid was a good idea.
And what about bringing some weight / fuel / air restrictor "penalty" (sort of BOP) for faster drivers to make the fight more uncertain and entertaining ?

And thx for people who made this possible ;) And those who took care of me when i came in the season with a game i had never played before ^^

Last edited:

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
    • Positive : Good organisation of the league. Some things can be smoothed out and is already done this season. Feel like we have coordinators which handle there stuff quite well and can fix / adjust if needed quickly. Thanks !
    • Negative : I dont know if it was the car or locked setup but i think that fastest lap times where to much off when looking from P1 to the last car. Would be nice to see P1 just 0,4 faster then P10 i.e
    • Neutral : Chatter during race can better but its not that much i get distracted or something
    • Love to do a Porsche cup one more time
    • Great nothing to complain.
    • Did anybody find my four-leaf clover i think i lost it somewhere in Virginia.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
In my feedback I focused on think that could or should be improved, that's why it may look pretty negativ, in general the season was solid with a strong start.

Car:
At the beginning I thought the car is better to race than the DTM car but that is not entirely the case. For example at Hungaroring the DTM car accelerated so hard out of the last corner, that even when two cars were very close to each other in the corner, on the following straight the gap was too big for slip stream. By now I think slip stream is a global AC problem. However, the Ginetta allowed for bit more slip streaming but it was still very difficult to fight with this car.
Reason 1, getting slower by braking later. For example T1 Okayma I noticed there is a optimal point to start braking and braking later makes you always slower. First disadvantage in outbraking someone.
Reason 2, to be quick, this car demands a driving style where you trail brake hard and deep into the corner. So braking relatively late and braking deep into the corner (Example Lime Rock T1 and VIR T1). The regular line is like an overtaking line in PCars2. How can one driver attack another if everyone is using the overtaking line as a regular line. That made battles between drivers with even pace frustrating imo.
Maybe that is what ppl realized, that the car is less entertaining than they thought at beginning and the amount of comitment got smaller towards the end of the season more than usually?
I feel like the favourites are already in place but I just hope for a car that drives more realistic with less trail braking.

Tracks
Okayama total win, Nogaro would have been too. Lime Rock was a bad decision, the car performed poorly on that track comapred to for example Okayama. Small mistakes could result in ending your race there. Detroid was an interesting TT track but racing there with this car was bad and too risky. Mills was an interesting and welcome pick. In general I'd like to see the track selection bit less hipster and bit more mainstream. I think there is nothing wrong in having 6 common tracks in the season. This season I had to learn 6 new tracks. That is also pretty time consuming.

Tire temps
The weather on most tracks was a bit too cold. Often the tires were running at pretty low temperatures or even cooling out on the straights. I see in AC the one tire temp I get drops hard on straights in the Ginetta. In real life the surface temperature goes down compared to mid corner but the rubber temperature does not fluctuated that quickly. This shall be just a general remark that even with or because of a locked setup, driving fast can still become complicated. On a certain level the differentiation might shift to something complicated, like tire temperatures.

Starting procedure
The formation lap we do is too slow for AC. Compared to pratice or mid race, we started with significantly lower tire pressures and cold tires, cold brakes. That does not help the usual Motorsport-T1-Issue. Also colder tires and lower tire pressures makes the car feel different in the first laps of the race. So the time when the field is most dense and mistakes have the biggest impact, the car feels weird. This is not nice.
Our formation lap is too slow to get any heat into the tires, because it is so slow, it takes too long. We form up too early(this got a little better thru the season, still). The formation speed is too slow. I understand that in a Ranked or Fun race we want everyone in good starting position so that no one has to start delayed, but in a Cup with a bit more competitive spirit, it should be everyone's interest to keep the rolling grid tight and we should nanny the field less. On the other hand when ppl get to competitive or reckless and beginn making prediction starts, it will be difficult to keep this starting procedure up. Well this never happened in about 5 years of TGC and RSR but at Mills someone opened the Pandora's box and unfortunately all we can do is hope that others don't pick it up.

Setup
We had two seasons with a locked setup and esp. in the DTM season it was good. The locking of the Ginetta setup made for a competitive field, for example Jetpistol and me were using the default ARB in every race. Long story short, for the 3rd AC Cup in RSR we should finally go fully into it and open the Setup. By now everyone should be familiar enough with AC to test setups. For me, apart from practising, testing and comparing setup is big part of the fun of RSR events and I know some persons that also feel that way.

Champinonship Points
Points for fastest lap and pole position should be removed. Noone should be tempted to cut track for championship points. Also it is too busywork to review the fastest lap and check if it was a valid lap. Same for the qualifing lap. Starting from P1 is already a win, no need to put points on top of it. Also giving out point only for the race places makes the final ranking more understanable. The amount of points given out for position was good in the beginning and a bit too much in the end of the season with the smaller field. Hard to make everyone happy here.

Driving Standards
VIR was a low point in terms of driving standards. In general I had the feel admins were protecting individuals more than the community standards. If you let it slip, ppl will start say things like "but XY also cutted a lot" and there is no point getting there. You need to face that you're not doing anyone a favour by letting it slip, because then their standards get even lower and also the next time it will be even more difficult to argue a penalty.
VIR in the end was handles as good as possible within the rules by @t0daY I think. Still there needs to be some changes in the rules to protect the driving standards more and call the race leaders to account. Why? Because the race leaders are more of an example to other racers. If they ignro the racing stadards, win and get away with it, why should someone on P8, P13 or P20 bother about it. Or if you would see that e.g. P2 vs P3 can't race wheel to wheel , would you really expect P14 vs P15 to do better? If I think about Formula 1 by experience I think about crashes in the mid to back field and often surprising close battles with no contact in the lead.

Personal drama
I really have bad luck with the date we pick for the RSR races. Last season Monday was my busiest day, this season it was Tuesday. Well I just hope I don't make a hattrick here.

Positive things did not go unnoticed
I thought Okayama and Nogaro were great picks, never heard about those tracks but the layout is huge fun. Okayama looked fairly simple but was so technical and even had great opportunists to fight with the car. I was really enthusiastic about that track.
The preparation for the Season was again very good with a good test race and important little changes to the car before the season. Really good effort there!
Orange Zone was good this season even though I feel the risk level constantly rising thru the season.
The format was cool, two race format always makes you hope for the second race if something goes wrong.
I liked normal Quali Mode much more than the shoot out in the DTM Season. Last season with only one lap it was always a gamble pc performance wise for me. I felt with my old pc that the cars in the pit box could influence the game performance making the game jitter even with ok fps numbers. Also you get a lag in your one lap and it's bad luck.
Respect to @Mazy CZ for jump in and editing the tracks for us anytime something odd comes up. Great effort from @Battenberg with the LODs.
And the personal liveries and the variety of liveries were a great view again guys! Lot's of creativity and spirit there.
@Ricardo Macieira is a great guy. @Noztra has a very special place in my heart. ;)
Thanks to everyone that made this season possible.

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
Good point on the trail braking part, miagi. Braking into haiprins was so "unreal" i started to wonder if it's physically possible. Outer front tire would probably explode in rl :)

The effect was multiplied by the allowance of abs. You just slammed the brakes and turned in. Not very realistic . I believe it would be much more fun to try to brake manually. Probably also easier to overtake.
The use of TC is also debatable. It makes the car easier to drive, but the downside is it build up bad habits of smashing the throttle instead of slowly accelerating.

I would seriously reconsider allowing those aids.

Ricardo

Staff Assetto Corsa
#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Good point on the trail braking part, miagi. Braking into haiprins was so "unreal" i started to wonder if it's physically possible. Outer front tire would probably explode in rl :)

The effect was multiplied by the allowance of abs. You just slammed the brakes and turned in. Not very realistic . I believe it would be much more fun to try to brake manually. Probably also easier to overtake.
The use of TC is also debatable. It makes the car easier to drive, but the downside is it build up bad habits of smashing the throttle instead of slowly accelerating.

I would seriously reconsider allowing those aids.
Abs/tc were allowed not forced, everyone can enable or disable it

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
I know, but turning off abs is a big disadvantage, i doubt anyone did it.
(TC of course a bit different story, you can be faster with no TC if you have good car control)

Corentin_Bergès

Community Member
Reaction score
I know, but turning off abs is a big disadvantage, i doubt anyone did it.
(TC of course a bit different story, you can be faster with no TC if you have good car control)
Actually for ABS braking distance were surprisingly shorter for me without (you have absolutely no feeling when the ABS comes into action so adjusting braking load is very hard imho) but the risk of lockup was too high to go without it in the race.
Never used TC as it was taking away a good part of the fun and giving bad habits. Only used it first lap of FP when learning the track.

MATT1

Community Member
Reaction score
-Positive:
Good to race on new tracks and the battles on the track were very nice and respectful most of the times.
Community very friendly overall.

-Negative:
I believe Driver briefing should be done earlier, not before qualifying. They were mostly used to dictate track limits and it can also be written here on the forum. If someone doesn't follow just penalise them.

-Which car would you like to drive for future seasons?
Any car would be good but a more challenging one to drive to reward consistency in a race.

-How did you like the schedule?
Perfect.Unfortunately i had to miss 2 rounds because of work.

-Next season format:
Make pit stop an option with 2 or 3 sets of different tyres (ex: one softer but very degradable and 1 harder thatcan go the full race length) so drivers can change strategies if they want.
Maybe one feature race and a sprint race like formula 2 or mix it up every round.
We had a lot of signups this season. Maybe divide that into 2 splits due to hardware limitations? Don't really know if that will work out since only 20 drivers showed up for the last races.
Don't allow TC and ABS or keep them to a minimum for a more challenging drive.
Open setups would be nice but a lot of people(including me) do not know how to make one and that would create an even bigger gap between first to last. On the other hand. at some point i need to learn how to setup a car.

Alex Salmon

Community Member
Reaction score
Overall I really enjoyed this season! Massive thanks to everyone involved!

Positive:
Car was really good fun, had some weird handling traits but was great once you get a hang of it.​
Race format was perfect, 12 races in the season made the championship fun right till the end! (although maybe being able to drop a score or 2 might add some extra spice/ help if we run over summer for holidays and stuff)​
Reverse grid is great fun.​
Turning the damage down is a good thing I think as you can still recover from incidents most the time.​
Set up was great and easy to pick up and get on the pace, I think this is important to give the guys doing less practice a chance too. Not sure why toe was taken over spring rates but oh well!​

To improve upon:
I think we should get rid of TC and ABS, and go back to the original RSR philosophy of 'if the car doesn't use it IRL we wont use it' I think its good to make us all have to focus more on driving the cars, its too easy to nail the gas and bakes and not really focus on style. Especially in these low powered cars.​
Bring back standing starts! they are awesome fun!​
Other stuff:
I really think for f3 we need a Macau race at the end of the year! its a staple of the class so would be nice to see!

Cars for future:
I would really like to run classics or TC cars.
A WTCR clone championship would be great
or a historic series with the 1.5L f1 cars or old touring cars like minis, cortina's, Escorts and Morris minors!

Thanks again!

Mazy CZ

Community Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed driving this car. It looked it is very easy to drive at first, but to be quick you had to be very precise with all your imputs. The smallest tyre squealing resulted in loss of time on track so that was a challenge. Also it was a bit of a drift car as you could slide throught corners nicely and save some big slides aswell.

The field was very very competitive and it was quite hard to pass someone with the same pace. But it is always a problem if you race with a driver of same pace who is not making any mistakes and can defend well. It can lead to some awesome side by side actions

For me the chatter on TS is not a big deal. I think it is a part of racing that sometimes there is and incident, driver is not happy and somebody says something or discuss something. And I am good with filtering this chatter and not loose some concentration. But I get that it is distracting for some. The more annoying thing for me is the wheel sounds and squeaks. Push to talk should be used by everyone.

The tracks were ok, some of them were just dull to look at, especially that detroit track. Shame about Nogaro as it really looked like nice and challenging track to race on.

Track limits will always be a problem and there is no way it could be policed in some better and 100% fair way to everybody. I rate myself as really hard driver on track limits, but somehow on VIR I was awfull. I didn't even noticed that the grey brick kerbs are actually kerbs and not a thick line and I overheard that info in driver's breefing. I only noticed something about T3 there. But that is not an excuse.

I said that before and I say it now again, track limits can be free in only "invite only" friendly league, where you invite only drivers you know are fair and clean and you can trust they will not abuse track limits. Yes, everybody will extend/cut here and there, that happens sometimes, but there will be no ABUSING (deliberately cutting/extending) to gain an advantage by those drivers. Also, no points and no drivers titles etc. Then drivers will sort incidents live on track, as they will not loose any points, no track limits investigations, and just pure racing and not loosing any points. But that is my view on a perfect league that I would be happy to coordinate :)

Stewards decisions took quite a long time to be sorted out but I was doing them aswell (in the past) and I know it is pain in the bottom to do that and decide about penalties, so no issues there.

I am also a fan of locked/semi-locked setups. I don't have plenty of time to set the car up with so many settings, so semi-locked seems to work best. But if next season will be open, then I will have to deal with it and find some new challenges aswell :)

I agree that driver breefing should be done before practice, but there is no official practice session (it is only optional) so I reccomend setting waiting time before qualy session to some time (10-15 mins??) and then 15mins of qualy server). But again, I had no problem with how it was done this season.

And at last, thanks for all poeple behind the sceens, @Ricardo Macieira @Noztra @t0daY @miagi etc for creating/setup/livery/server/threads...stuff.

Much more powerful cars. Havent tested that F3 how it drives, but I tried the F2 in the past and it was handy to drive. Hopefully the F3 will be easy to drive but a challenge to be quick again :)

But those GT1 legends would be awesome, but that would fit more in my "invitation-only" league :D:D
Schedule was ok for me, I liked the brake after 2 rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread