Project CARS 2 Ferrari Challenge - R2: Dubai (1 Viewer)

Ferrari Challenge - R2: Dubai
Posted by m4nu
Project CARS 2
Thursday, January 17, 2019 - 19:30
Until: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 - 22:59
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Eugene Gajkin

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I miss racing with you guys

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I won't make it to the race, personal stuff came in between. Really sorry for that :(

EDIT: nvm im in!

Last edited:

Corentin_Bergès

Community Member
Reaction score
I won´t be able to attend the race for tonight. I really enjoy Dubai as a track, but I did not find the time to practice. I was hoping to put in some laps today but the work on my publication took all day so far. Sorry for the late notice :confused:
Honestly, given your previous races, if you know the track already, there is not much to practise for. The car is not to tricky on this track, so if you have 20 min before the driver's briefing it should definitly be manageable.

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Gents
Sorry for bailing on the last race, I have a wrist injury that I thought I could drive through by turning the wheel power down but it's really not doing me any favours.
Really enjoyed the race though especially the last lap or two with @kobusnell. Really respectful attacking.

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sorry guys unexpected problems at work, I had to spend my evening there :/ apologies for not informing before the race

Ulti

Community Member
Reaction score
Crap I completely forgot about the race:rolleyes:

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Gents
Sorry for bailing on the last race, I have a wrist injury that I thought I could drive through by turning the wheel power down but it's really not doing me any favours.
Really enjoyed the race though especially the last lap or two with @kobusnell. Really respectful attacking.
Yeah, that was great! I look forward to the next duel

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Please remember that the speed limit for the lead driver in the formation lap is 80kph. That applies to the whole lap, not just when getting into formation. This is the rule we have operated for more than 2 years now and it is in the OP of every event thread we post.

Hope the races were fun :)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Let's start with the positive... my goal was to maintain my position at the start...after losing a lot of positions during the start of the last 2 races.
Starting from the left on position 16, my plan was to go at least to the middle of the track before the first right hand corner, and to the right if possible, to gain some positions in the first corner. By watching a lot of Dubai race start videos, I knew exactly where I could win positions. Gained some in the first corner and by staying on the inside before corner 7 and taking corner 9 wide. Before the end of the first lap I moved from 16th to 12th position :woot::woot::woot:.

Usually I do a 20-30 minutes practice before the race start...but had an emergency call from work so had to skip that. Not in my flow for 1st quali...doing only 1 clean lap was not enough for a good position on the grid, qualifying 16th with a lousy 2:01.
After a great start still not in my flow, lost the car once and losing position 12. At the moment I was focusing on getting in my flow, 9 minutes in the race... I lost connection with the server :banghead:.

Joined again as a spectator, watching @ProjectPD and @fab. ICEMAN to learn from them for the 2nd race. Nice to see that both fast drivers have a completely different style of driving, especially in the way they attack the hairpins. @ProjectPD using more the 'old' style by apexing later, which seemed more stable and faster to me by what I saw. This also reminds me of the fact that you need to be able to use different styles of driving, depending on car, track and weather conditions. @fab. ICEMAN showed me that I wasn't correctly practicing the theory that I learned from the books I read... 'USE ALL OF THE TRACK'!!!!!
I tend to stay within the white lines too much.

With this gained knowledge, I was very motivated for second quali and race. But because I watched as a spectator earlier, my camera view messed up, my camera moved from cockpit to bumper????
Tried the 'cycle camera view' button...which didn't work. Thought that that was disabled because I am in VR... so started troubleshooting VR....
By the end I figured out it was the camera view and I reassigned the 'cycle camera view' button... the second race already started :(.
Quite annoying that buttons on my wheel loose their assignment sometimes at random, previous race it was my 'pit limiter' button that didn't work..it was assigned but had to re-assign it to get it working again.
Also had no driver/position tags during the race, although I had this one set up as 'multiplayer only' which always worked... so will put this on 'On' for next race.

Expecting to do better in the last 2 races, first 2 races the tracks were new to me, already have some experience on Imola and Monza.
Fingers and toes crossed that I won't have any technical issues during these 2 races, I'm ready!

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Joined again as a spectator, watching @ProjectPD and @fab. ICEMAN to learn from them for the 2nd race. Nice to see that both fast drivers have a completely different style of driving, especially in the way they attack the hairpins. @ProjectPD using more the 'old' style by apexing later, which seemed more stable and faster to me by what I saw. This also reminds me of the fact that you need to be able to use different styles of driving, depending on car, track and weather conditions.
Indeed! That also impressed me quite a lot, especially when I shoved PD a few times in the back :D Really sorry for that.

I think PD and me have a complete opposite driving style. I always want to attack the apex as hard as I can and still try to keep as much speed on exit as possible. PD takes his time for braking, looking for the perfect exit. I think both have their pro and cons. PD was overall faster yesterday, so I think I've exaggerated with my driving style a bit. Only had 30 mins of practice done yesterday. Was still good races, though I'm kinda sad that I couldn't extend the battle on 2nd race. A missing braking sign made me brake at 50m instead of 100m (I'm looking at you, brake sign destroyer!) :D

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
A missing braking sign made me brake at 50m instead of 100m (I'm looking at you, brake sign destroyer!) :D
Thought I saw you destroying all braking signs and cones yourself at the end of the 1st race :wideyed: ? .... but maybe I mixed you up with someone else :happy:

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thought I saw you destroying all braking signs and cones yourself at the end of the 1st race :wideyed: ? .... but maybe I mixed you up with someone else :happy:
Nono, that was at end of 2nd qualifiying where I accidently targeted signs and cones :bookworm:

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
(I'm looking at you, brake sign destroyer!) :D

Someone had serious beef with the brake markers. At one stage in the second race someone "removed" the brake marker to the loooong left-hander prior to the last two corners. I saw @Rargon go off, thought that's my chance, and simply followed him way off track. Wouldn't be surprised if the same happened to @UnstopaPaul behind me.

Corentin_Bergès

Community Member
Reaction score
First quali for perfect for me, best lap time i've ever done with a 1:56.000 (round :D) so i took the 4th position, being beaten by @Elodyr in his last quali lap.
First race was just solo racing from beginning to end, being to far and to slow compared to @Elodyr in front, and too fast for @Nada to catch behind, with a comfortable advance.

Second quali was a bit less satisfying, but i managed to get 4th place again, even with a high 1:56.
The start was way more messy than the first race, lost a few places because i didn't get what was @ProjectPD counting for (so used to all driver's ready green green green that the 3 2 1 go somehow stucked my brain).
Managed to stick to @Nada and in front of @Raigore. In the front, @Blue Monkey spun in the last corner as he had done during the first race, so there was only @Nada to catch to gain back my beloved 4th place. i managed to reach @Nada a few times, but due do dirty air i guess, i was almost losing the cars in the fast corners, and aggressiv (but respectful) defending from @Nada almost made me kiss his back bumper twice. Having @Raigore in my mirrors, i tried to pass nada is the half turn in sector 3, but missed a bit the braking, which @Raigore managed better, and he passed me easily. Then i don't remember how, i guess Nada made a mistake which allowed both @Raigore and me to pass.
We've been batteling for the 2nd third of the race, but the each time i was reaching Raigore the car was much looser, so after having somehow recovered (miracle) from a half spin, i decided to back off and stay 2 seconds behind, cruising behind without attacking. My plans were to attack in the last 5 minutes. I pushed hard and reached @Raigore as planned within the second before last lap. Before last lap, i was exiting much faster from the right hander after the very long straight, and would have passed if only @Raigore hadn't half spunned, blocking me (accidentaly). I hit, but with connection lag he didn't feel it, so continued. I had 10% front aero damage, and lost 3 seconds, so i just wanted to reach the finish line without a mistake, what i did.

As a conclusion, very fun second race, but i definitly don't like this track, as it gives no sensations at all.

And yes, missing braking points were seriously irritating, especially at the corner after long straight, and when they were here the lap before, and especially on this track where it's quite hard to find other reference. I don't see WHY the hell they were missing, you have to do it on purpose here, there is no way you can lose control of your car before braking in a straight.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Race Report from me.

Race one was lonely after my old man bladder forced a 2 min pitstop.

Race two ended up in barrier after turn one, thought i left enough room for whoever was on my inside, but my his front end and my rear quarter wanted to go party in the wall. At that point struggled round to the pits with the damage and came out nearly a lap down.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
First rule of practice....destroy all non-permanent markers. It did catch me a little, but I settled back in as I'd done a lot of practice without markers during Season 5. Mostly I suffered from only a hour of practice for the event. I don't find this car in anyway enjoyable. Chronic high speed understeer, chronic low speed oversteer and the suspension seems to roll dice as to which way it's going to throw you. Couple that with a massive gap between 3rd and 4th gear and you have to be insanely cautious cornering.

I was bashed around several time in race one by people understeering horribly, who I don't even really blame (kudos to @Wazzaap! for giving back positions on 2 separate incidents), and its really strange when you see people completely miss the braking 10 laps in because it feels so unpredictable. I'm thoroughly impressed by the top few drivers that you can repeatedly get great laps in this thing.

Last note, I saw and awful lot of interesting interpretation of "between the white lines", not just one offs, but lap after lap. I know this car just doesn't want to turn, but that doesn't mean you can just plough on 2 metres to the right of the lines lap after lap. I don't want to feel penalised for keeping inside the lines.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
^^^ as we've pointed out many times, if you see somebody ahead of you abusing the "2 wheels inside the white lines" rule, then please call it out on Teamspeak with a quick "Dave, you're going outside the white lines a lot". Short and sweet. Some people may not be aware they are doing it, sometimes it can be network desync putting them in a different position on track from your viewpoint. If you call them out and they continue to abuse the track limits, raise a steward's case. We try and encourage this form of self-policing and we also like to keep that level playing field with regards track limits.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread