HE vs HPP Pedals (1 Viewer)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What they mean is that the HPP Pedals have a fake hydraulik system of master cylinder, fluid reservoir and pressure transducer to measure the pressure. While the HEs have a gas-spring to damp the movement of pedals and probably a loadcell to measure the force.

Gas-Springs on the throttle padel is a nice thing, we have that on our Formula Student car too but both Pedalsets are ill advised if they think that the brake padel on a pure hydraulik brake has (hydraulik) damping. The hydraulik fluid in a brake system is there to transmit the pressure, the volum flow is very small. Stepping in the brake pedal on a race car is like kicking a rock (if the brake is bleed well). You have minimal travel and it's like hitting a rock, there can be no damping as there is no movement. What HPP does is expensiv but pointless, a loadcell is equally good in measuring the pedal force as putting pressure on a fluid to measure the pressure of the fluid with a transducer and reverting it into an electric signal exactly like the loadcell does but more expensive. What should be a bigger concern to any driver is that because of this wide and silly hydraulic unit of the HPPs the minimum distance between throttle and brake pedal is quite big...

There are quite a few more flaws visible on first look about the HHP but this post is not ablut that.
I guess the HPPs are better at simulating what you know from a road car.

Currently I couldn’t justify either. When looking at the protosimtech PT2, which look like a hard bite of the HEs tbh, they are 400$. The HE ultimates with pedal base are 1400€, the HPPs similar because you have to pay import tax in Germany.

That’s just wow compared to the 360€ of the CSPs.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
I guess the HPPs are better at simulating what you know from a road car.

Currently I couldn’t justify either. When looking at the protosimtech PT2, which look like a hard bite of the HEs tbh, they are 400$. The HE ultimates with pedal base are 1400€, the HPPs similar because you have to pay import tax in Germany.

That’s just wow compared to the 360€ of the CSPs.
I also really don't see much that justify the price difference between the HEs and the PT2. They maybe have a bit less friction but for that price... It's surely not the Gas-Springs, if you need those badly get a few: https://www.ace-ace.de/de/produkte/...sdruckfedern/gs-8-bis-gs-70/gs-8/gs-8-50.html

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
Can you build me pedals miagi :D
I have a construction from our formula student car. That pedal set is properly overengineered to the max xD
It is adjustable in position with a slider and has two master cylinders and a balance bar that even can be adjusted with an electric Servo-Motor. The Throttle-Pedal can be set up with a cable as backup but it actually works with a self-developed rotation sensor. Also it has carbon fibre because racecar!

PS: It would be expensive, we relay on sponsor manufactures for some parts, *cough* titanium pedal shafts *cough* But hey the brake pedal is designed for 2000 N pedal force.

Last edited:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Can I have it for less than the HEs? xD

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
No you will make me poor xD

LOL that's the problem isn't it, if you try something that feels better than what you have, you have to have it.

I'd like to try the Ricmotech pedals.

falcon2081

Founding Member
Community Member
Reaction score
@Puffpirat I was skeptical of going with the HE Pro's but they really did improve my braking far better than what the V3's with BPK did. Plus being able to adjust them individually was a huge plus as well. Which is why I always say now get the pedals first before you do the wheel.

Mearcat

Community Member
Reaction score
I originally looked at the HE's because of the modularity, but £650 was a lot for me. @steveg200 pointed me towards the CSL set from Fanatec.

The Ftec CSL with loadcell brake is a similar setup to the HE's though the differences (other than price) are the sensors for the throttle and clutch/brake are pots instead of all load cells and it comes with a foot plate as standard. You can individually mount each pedal as well. Not bad for 220 Euro.

I bagged mine off Ebay, guy was moving abroard and needed to sell - £155 (170 Euro), Bargin.

I have found that the loadcell pedals (none hydraulic) are a closer match to the feel of a racing vehicle, brake and throttle.

Hydraulic sets are better at simulating the feel of a normal road car, which have squigey brake pedals.

The only place where Hydaulics would help simulate reality would be the clutch. However the HE's do a good job on that as well.

I'm happy with my CSL's but between the HE and HPP sets I would go with the HE's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread