How and who makes the banners for all the events? (1 Viewer)

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I was wondering who makes the banners for all the events, especially the banners for ProjectCARS2 events since that are the only events I join.

The banners always look very high quality and look 100 times better than my screenshots I take on ProjectCARS 2.

(Sorry if there was already a thread about this or if there was a page somewhere that has all the information)

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Well there's a long tale...

I was hiking in the Himalayas nigh on forty years ago after escaping a cannibalistic circus troupe in Tajikistan when I came across a Colonel Sanders lookalike named Dave who was on a quest of his own. He was looking for the elusive Three-Footed Cyan Gopher Pigeon but instead had only found a talking chicken which he had named "Cluck".

This chicken was quick to a joke and had an uncanny ability to dash short distances in record time. But alas, his one shortcoming was that he often failed to finish the longer races his owner Dave entered him in.

Thirteen years later I encountered this strange chicken once again when I was caught up in the Great Quokka Revolt of '88...

Cluck. Cluck is the answer.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

I was hiking in the Himalayas nigh on forty years ago after escaping a cannibalistic circus troupe in Tajikistan when I came across a Colonel Sanders lookalike named Dave who was on a quest of his own. He was looking for the elusive Three-Footed Cyan Gopher Pigeon but instead had only found a talking chicken which he had named "Cluck".

This chicken was quick to a joke and had an uncanny ability to dash short distances in record time. But alas, his one shortcoming was that he often failed to finish the longer races his owner Dave entered him in.

Thirteen years later I encountered this strange chicken once again when I was caught up in the Great Quokka Revolt of '88...

Where did u come up with that? Nice story though :D

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I could have figured this one out myself if I would have just thought about cluck his twitter pictures he posts a lot.
But that wouldn't have given me such a great answer! I love it.
Now I only still have the question how he makes them so beautiful?

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

True story :pompous:

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Where did u come up with that? Nice story though :D
It is nothing but the truth.

I could have figured this one out myself if I would have just thought about cluck his twitter pictures he posts a lot.

That you will have to ask the man himself :p

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Awww, thanks kindly.

To answer the question, though, practice. I fire up a practice session with the settings the same as they are for the event (date, time, weather) and then mess with the filters to get the type of shot I want for the banner. The art, of course, is also in lining up a shot to work in the banner format, and that's where luck, skill and a lot of binned shots comes into play! It's then a process of lining up the shot in the banner, coming up with a punny title with the other staff and then hitting them with a choice of banners to promote the event with - if you keep an eye on our twitter feeds, you will see some of the other banners created for each event :).

There's a lot of work involved and a precise attention to detail. Even if nobody notices, I know it's right and that's what matters :)

EDIT : One final thing though. The original banner layout was another collaborative effort, involving some present and past members/staff. I can't (and won't) take credit for the banner layout itself, just the shots and often the daft names we come up with! The banners for the Revolution Cup Season 4 and 5 were primarily my work but, yet again, involved ideas bouncing back and forth with other staff members. As for "is there a thread about it", nope and I'm not sure it's something that has ever warranted such, mostly because - and I hate to keep repeating myself - it isn't the work of one person alone :)

Last edited:

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers guys!
and @Cluck you don't use any third party software ingame or either outside the game after you took some screenshots to make them look better?

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers guys!
and @Cluck you don't use any third party software ingame or either outside the game after you took some screenshots to make them look better?
Every shot I have posted (bar, I think, 2 - where I did some very minor photoshopping to remove a nasty glitch) for both pCARS1 and pCARS2 have been from the game with no external injectors or subsequent tweaking*. Anybody can take a clean PC, install Steam and Project CARS 2 and take exactly the same shot :). Yes, external injectors can make it look better still but I have always striven to showcase what the game is capable of by itself :)

EDIT : One point worth bearing in mind. I never use replay for my shots, they are all taken from live gameplay, pausing it and going to Photo Mode. If I miss a moment, I miss it.

* this is just for screenshots, rather than "real vs reality" mockups such as my Le Mans shot with the Toyota stopped near the S/F line at the 2016 Le Mans.

Last edited:

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Every shot I have posted (bar, I think, 2 - where I did some very minor photoshopping to remove a nasty glitch) for both pCARS1 and pCARS2 have been from the game with no external injectors or subsequent tweaking*. Anybody can take a clean PC, install Steam and Project CARS 2 and take exactly the same shot :). Yes, external injectors can make it look better still but I have always striven to showcase what the game is capable of by itself :)

EDIT : One point worth bearing in mind. I never use replay for my shots, they are all taken from live gameplay, pausing it and going to Photo Mode. If I miss a moment, I miss it.

* this is just for screenshots, rather than "real vs reality" mockups such as my Le Mans shot with the Toyota stopped near the S/F line at the 2016 Le Mans.
that's actually a good point, the replays mess up the smoke effects and cause some other weird looks.

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Amazing! I guess I don't have my settings high enough then and I should also start using live gameplay. :p

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I run a pseudo 4K (my monitor is 1920x1200 but I use nVidia DSR at 4x to actually render at 3840x2400) and everything in game is on the highest setting other than AA (I forget which setting that is on but I think it's 'Low' supersampling). Of course, I only use that for screenshots, I used to use my Rift all the time for racing and the game has separate graphic settings for VR.

Mostly, it's down to framing the shot, making sure lighting is good and then picking the right filters to really make the shot stand out. There are certain weather conditions that look a bit 'plain' and no amount of filtering will help. I've calmed down a bit these days but back in the pCARS1 days, I'd often take 100 or 200 shots from slightly different angles and only a few seconds apart on the track maybe. I think my record was 400 shots of one car in one lap of Nürb GP :eek:

EDIT : The problem with 'live gameplay' is that, for obvious reasons, you can't use it in multiplayer. That's why I don't think I've ever posted a shot from any race we've run - the only exception has been some still shots for the 'end of season champion' shots.

Last edited:

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I am pretty sure my pc could handel max settings, but I can't be bothered to put them lower again for every race :yawn:.
I guess I'll stick with recording the races and maybe one day when I feel like it make a nice edit of them!

Users who are viewing this thread