How to create a project cars 2 video/trailer? (1 Viewer)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with creating custom liveries and would like to create a fancy video of the cars I created. I saw some fantastic videos from other members, with the camera moving around the car, different camera views and no overlays visible. I was wondering how this is done and what tooling in and outside game I should use to start with? Maybe someone has a tutorial or point me to a source on the web?

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
IIRC fancy cameras moving around the car are available via numpad + and - buttons

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Firstly if you need some help, just let me know. Secondly and for me most importantly is enjoy making the video(s), by enjoying video creation and making liveries makes the whole job a lot better and allows you to be more committed to it. For me i love seeing everything come together.

Take Season 5 as an example, I decided before the season started i would create an intro video for Wayferer to use at the start of the streams, this was to avoid having to cut to the forum to show the calendar and event details. The video below is the the intro video for the final round of Season 5(2:23-7.00), With the help from Unstopaul providing me with some of the graphics.

In the Intro you can see i have Season 4 highlights, this uses the fancy camera views and swooping angles, You will also see i have the flying camera of the track used in that event, that was simply there as a live background so not to just have a boring black screen. The controls for this is a bit of a mess but easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Everyone will create videos differently, for me I have realised i like to tell a story(Livery launch video). That video uses a mix of things to create the idea i had in mind...The idea came from finding the right music first. So depending on what your planning on making the video you might find getting some music first will help you decide the course you want to take.

I haven't come across anything on the internet that was helpful, but im happy to spend some time on TS helping you if needed. I will be around tonight if thats any help :)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Firstly if you need some help, just let me know. Secondly and for me most importantly is enjoy making the video(s), by enjoying video creation and making liveries makes the whole job a lot better and allows you to be more committed to it. For me i love seeing everything come together.

Take Season 5 as an example, I decided before the season started i would create an intro video for Wayferer to use at the start of the streams, this was to avoid having to cut to the forum to show the calendar and event details. The video below is the the intro video for the final round of Season 5(2:23-7.00), With the help from Unstopaul providing me with some of the graphics.

In the Intro you can see i have Season 4 highlights, this uses the fancy camera views and swooping angles, You will also see i have the flying camera of the track used in that event, that was simply there as a live background so not to just have a boring black screen. The controls for this is a bit of a mess but easy enough once you get the hang of it.

Everyone will create videos differently, for me I have realised i like to tell a story(Livery launch video). That video uses a mix of things to create the idea i had in mind...The idea came from finding the right music first. So depending on what your planning on making the video you might find getting some music first will help you decide the course you want to take.

I haven't come across anything on the internet that was helpful, but im happy to spend some time on TS helping you if needed. I will be around tonight if thats any help :)

Hi @Jamesl91 , thanks for your story, love those videos. I just started yesterday with creating liveries... without PSP, which is a bit difficult but finally I got all the free tools to do it. Not that many options as in PSP but at least I can change the color of the car and add and create decals.

To create a video, i guess I first need a replay to get all the data (camera angles) and I need to know the 'change camera view keyboard shortcuts' and record my video with shadowplay.

Music won't be a problem, being one of my biggest hobbies. was thinking of some Alan Parsons stuff like this one:

I will first try to sort things out myself so I can ask better questions, and hopefully I can add something extra to the RSR site/community in the future by creating liveries, photos and videos.

ps; any advice on a tool for video editing?

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi @Jamesl91 , thanks for your story, love those videos. I just started yesterday with creating liveries... without PSP, which is a bit difficult but finally I got all the free tools to do it. Not that many options as in PSP but at least I can change the color of the car and add and create decals.

To create a video, i guess I first need a replay to get all the data (camera angles) and I need to know the 'change camera view keyboard shortcuts' and record my video with shadowplay.

Music won't be a problem, being one of my biggest hobbies. was thinking of some Alan Parsons stuff like this one:

I will first try to sort things out myself so I can ask better questions, and hopefully I can add something extra to the RSR site/community in the future by creating liveries, photos and videos.

ps; any advice on a tool for video editing?
In regards to the livery creation, what software do you use for that? I use Paint.net with photoshop plugin which seems to work nicely without the complexities of photoshop.
In terms of videos, I use Sony Vagas for my editing you can sometimes get it at a bargain price on Humble Bundle. you have a good starting point with Music, you can work from their to play around with ideas. you basically have to see what works and what doesn't,

With Project cars 2, the cameras are normally linked to the cars which means if you want a specific trackside shot you need to have a stationary car and the correct camera angle to be able to fly around. this is easy enough to do in single player but mutliplayer im not sure if its possible without someone sat at the side of the track. Normally i do my recordings in single player for things like the helicopter camera shots form the Season 5 Intro's to give the effect that its a helicopter shot. For multiplayer recordings you can use the onboard cameras(extra angles) and trackside cameras which you can cycle through.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
In regards to the livery creation, what software do you use for that? I use Paint.net with photoshop plugin which seems to work nicely without the complexities of photoshop.
In terms of videos, I use Sony Vagas for my editing you can sometimes get it at a bargain price on Humble Bundle. you have a good starting point with Music, you can work from their to play around with ideas. you basically have to see what works and what doesn't,

With Project cars 2, the cameras are normally linked to the cars which means if you want a specific trackside shot you need to have a stationary car and the correct camera angle to be able to fly around. this is easy enough to do in single player but mutliplayer im not sure if its possible without someone sat at the side of the track. Normally i do my recordings in single player for things like the helicopter camera shots form the Season 5 Intro's to give the effect that its a helicopter shot. For multiplayer recordings you can use the onboard cameras(extra angles) and trackside cameras which you can cycle through.

So that's why I couldn't open PSD files in paint.net.... you need a plugin :banghead: So ended up with GIMP, found out about wireframe and layers and stuff.

Will check for the video editing software.

Started all over again from scratch... Porsche I selected had the wrong wheel colour and I couldn't change it into black.

Trying to sort out how I can select individual body parts of the car and give them their own colour... so I can give a different colour to side mirrors, part of the wing, et cetera.

Wanted to create a car in this colour, Porsche fashion grey (or modegrau in German), took some time to sort that out too... colour showed too light in PCARS2
cd1c3ddb6c16c3d2d9ebd505ab2baf05[1360].jpg

Video showing the colour ingame, comes close.... still quite boring ..... but it is a beginning and my first attempt to create some sort of video :smug:

Last edited:

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So that's why I couldn't open PSD files in paint.net.... you need a plugin :banghead: So ended up with GIMP, found out about wireframe and layers and stuff.

Will check for the video editing software.

Started all over again from scratch... Porsche I selected had the wrong wheel colour and I couldn't change it into black.

Trying to sort out how I can select individual body parts of the car and give them their own colour... so I can give a different colour to side mirrors, part of the wing, et cetera.

Wanted to create a car in this colour, Porsche fashion grey (or modegrau in German), took some time to sort that out too... colour showed too light in PCARS2
View attachment 4880

Video showing the colour ingame, comes close.... still quite boring ..... but it is a beginning and my first attempt to create some sort of video :smug:

yup, a plugin will sort that problem out. the Wireframe is simply the frame of the car and allows you to be more accurate with the positioning of images and colour. I normally create the layers i want for adding images in etc. Normally you can use the paint pot tool to fill the object but sometimes it will cover the whole layer which means you have to draw round the bit you want with a line then fill it in(simplest way i have found).

Video doesn't work :( but its always good to start playing around with things. 1 thing i find useful is to have a separate project where i can put videos to cut up or put random ideas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread