HP Reverb G2 (1 Viewer)

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
And I thought the poor sharpness in the distance was a compromise from the Erazer X1000 that I got... Judging from that video the Rift S is even worse :pompous:.
Not sure if I'd reccommend the G2 to sim racers judging by this. The 144Hz really does make things a lot better than that extra bit of resolution from my perspective...
One thing I learned from VR headsets is that you can never judge a headset purely from a video, you have to put it on and experience it. I used the Rift CV1, Rift S (which is already a big upgrade to the CV1) and now the Index. When it comes to VR higher resolution and clear vision in the distance clearly wins over 144Hz. 144Hz isn't achievable without lowering settings/resolution or waiting for a 4080Ti to be released. I'd rather have high resolution+clear vision in the distance with 90Hz or even 80Hz than a display capable of doing 144Hz.

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
New video :D. Getting SOOOO hyped now on the Reverb G2!

Last edited:

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Judging those impressions I think the G2 will be the new GoTo HMD for simracers. VR with the clarity of a high resolution monitor, holy moly, can't wait for end of september!
Only downside will be the computing power needed to run this HMD, I'm almost certain, that my 1080Ti will not be enough for this :eek:

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Don't know what they're saying about G2 and pimax 8kx, maybe there's some german around here :D

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
And I thought the poor sharpness in the distance was a compromise from the Erazer X1000 that I got... Judging from that video the Rift S is even worse :pompous:.
Not sure if I'd reccommend the G2 to sim racers judging by this. The 144Hz really does make things a lot better than that extra bit of resolution from my perspective...
It is recorded in 30fps 4k camera... Also recording a other screen isnt that easy. I think and offcourse i hope when you got them in front of your own eyes its very good in 90fps

RdMracer

Community Member
Reaction score
It is recorded in 30fps 4k camera... Also recording a other screen isnt that easy. I think and offcourse i hope when you got them in front of your own eyes its very good in 90fps

It can be quite tricky indeed, but it looked like they pulled it off. It depends more on the camera than the operator really, especially at 4k 30, even the best camera's have no dampening on the rolling shutter effect. That means that instead of every frame of video displaying 2.4 valve index images blended together, the camera could be displaying 2 images torn to the next refresh in the middle and some of the next and previous images on the side. Where the reverb image gets torn once or down-sampled switching from one to two blended images.

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Did anyone actually get to try this? Does it require a 3090 for acc?

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah ACC prob will need a 6900xt or 3090.... But we still have to find out here in EU , the G2 is shipped in other parts of the world only not yet in EU...

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Yeah ACC prob will need a 6900xt or 3090.... But we still have to find out here in EU , the G2 is shipped in other parts of the world only not yet in EU...
For the price of a 3090 i'd rather get triple curved 32" :D

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I still haven't received mine, but will of course test it with my current setup. I'm looking into upgrading my pc asap and for now my card of choice is 3080RTX. Looking forward to the reviews of the 6900XT really, as that may be a good contender to drive the G2 in a proper way.

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Don't think so. The G1 has the same resolution speccs and people could run ACC with the G2 with 2080S or 2080Ti.
Obviously you will be in 45FPS ASW or 60FPS terrritory, but I'm pretty sure that you can power the G2 with a 3070 upwards quite decent. At the end you can probably always reduce the resolution by 20-30% and you will still get a much much sharper picture than with the Rift and such :)

Last edited:

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So I read that the first Dutch people who ordered from Rekenwinkel.nl received the G2. Mine is estimated to be received at the retailer on Dec 4th and then hopefully soon after at my doorstep :-D. I ordered at Bestware as it cost me €600 instead of the retail €700. So hopefully I can try it out sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Anybody here already received his G2?

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So I read that the first Dutch people who ordered from Rekenwinkel.nl received the G2. Mine is estimated to be received at the retailer on Dec 4th and then hopefully soon after at my doorstep :-D. I ordered at Bestware as it cost me €600 instead of the retail €700. So hopefully I can try it out sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I did same as you... Order from Bestware so waiting waiting waiting while i see others unpacking o_O Havent watched any reviews etc since they started shipping them.

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Nope, @Jeff[NL] and mine should be at Bestware at 4th of december or so, but I have no hope anymore that this will be true, so I will just wait and let them surprise me :D

elmalloc

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I received my HP Reverb G2. Unfortunately, I don't have a sim setup yet.

I'm going to test sim games with a 3080 and 5600X.
I had a 3090 Strix but returned it because I thought it wasn't performing up to a $2000 price range.

I have a 5950X in box that I will use if I think the sim setup needs a little more oomph.

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi,

I received my HP Reverb G2. Unfortunately, I don't have a sim setup yet.

I'm going to test sim games with a 3080 and 5600X.
I had a 3090 Strix but returned it because I thought it wasn't performing up to a $2000 price range.

I have a 5950X in box that I will use if I think the sim setup needs a little more oomph.
Holy smack what a setup! I will upgrade too, but as the new AMD processors and NVidia videocards are hardly available I have to wait anyway . My good ol' 6700K and RTX 2080Ti will just have to do for now

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Not planning to upgrade my system yet ... upgraded HP Pavilion family desktop (wasn't a gamer yet when I bought it :banghead: ), will build a new one next year ... or 2022 maybe.

Looking at previous posts, it seems that you need to upgrade to a top-notch system for the HP Reverb G2?
So I was wondering if it is possible for me to switch to a HP Reverb G2 ... coming from a Oculus Rift with no issues running with current specs?
Or will this cause serious issues?
And if not, will it be much of an improvement with my specs?

System requirements according to HP site:
Recommended minimum workstation specifications Graphics: DX12 capable graphics. Cards that typically run Reverb at full resolution: • Consumer o NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5, i7, Intel® Xeon® E3-1240 v5, equivalent or better. AMD Ryzen 5 equivalent or better Memory: 8 GB RAM or more

I have an old i7 6700K
16 GB DDR3 RAM
and a GTX 1080 (not Ti) Gigabyte
see my specs in signature

Def

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I was curious and decided to check on this thread. For me VR is the way to go in the future. In terms of space and practicality I don’t want to go triple screens. I was waiting for the technology to mature, last time I checked was around last year. Top of the line was Pimax but wasn’t sure about price/performance ratio.

what are your opinions on VR headsets at the moment? The G2 seems pretty popular, but unfortunately I don’t speak german so I couldn’t gain anything from those videos. Are there other big names I should look into? Or this one is the best for simracing going forward?

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I was curious and decided to check on this thread. For me VR is the way to go in the future. In terms of space and practicality I don’t want to go triple screens. I was waiting for the technology to mature, last time I checked was around last year. Top of the line was Pimax but wasn’t sure about price/performance ratio.

what are your opinions on VR headsets at the moment? The G2 seems pretty popular, but unfortunately I don’t speak german so I couldn’t gain anything from those videos. Are there other big names I should look into? Or this one is the best for simracing going forward?
There are also English videos about the G2. Further there is competition from Pimax / Valve Index but those are more expensive and not even that much better. The G2 seems to hit the sweet spot atm price performance

• Informative
Reactions: Def

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
To all that pre-ordered the G2 as Bestware: preorders prior to 24th September will get a 50 euro cash back from HP to compensate for the delay ;-).

Also people that ordered as Amazon.es got an email about €50,- cash back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread