Memory gone bust? (1 Viewer)

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Hello chaps,

seemingly, my insta-shutdown problem wasn't directly related to Spectre/Meltdown as @Puffpirat suggested, but one of my memory sticks seems to be faulty.
Becuase, with this one in, I can't even boot after the bios update to 3008. :(
I always get "Your memory setting have been reset due to failure to boot - Press F to enter setup".
I tried nearly everything. Overvolting, undervolting, every preset clock speed between 2666 and 3200 mhz. I have the Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200C16, so basically, they should easily be able to hit 3200mhz, which they never did. Best I've had was slightly above 3000. But I didn't worry about that because there where some known problems with the RAM stability in the first bios-versions.
Question 1: Will I be able to run with 8Gb RAM for now? Because the current prices are beyond horrible. I bought them for 129 €, which was alredy pretty expensive due to RAM shortage back then, but now the same set would cost me 190 €! :eek::eek: That's insane and currently, I'm not willing to pay that much for a replacement. Initally I hoped I would get 32Gb as an upgrade for that kind of money.
Question 2: Can I still RMA them? Does anyone know about Corsair's RMA goodwill?
And if I RMA it, do I have to RMA both modules? Becuase then I would be stuck without any RAM at all...
Question 3: Any ideas how to "revive" the RAM?

Last edited:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hope my suggestion didn’t make it worse :oops:

Corsair seems to be a nice company from my experience. I would just ask for RMA. Thing with the RAM is, they come as set of two because they are binned together. Question will be if you can keep one still but I would just mention that you would be without RAM and if it’s ok to only send the defective one till you get the new ones.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Hope my suggestion didn’t make it worse :oops:

Corsair seems to be a nice company from my experience. I would just ask for RMA. Thing with the RAM is, they come as set of two because they are binned together. Question will be if you can keep one still but I would just mention that you would be without RAM and if it’s ok to only send the defective one till you get the new ones.
No worries mate. I was on an awfully old bios build anyway. I haven't updated since august and there have been a few builds since then.

I think I'll try to have only one stick RMA'd at first. Hope this works out.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Corsair Vengeance RAM faulty? Wow, I've never heard of that happening before :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Corsair Vengeance RAM faulty? Wow, I've never heard of that happening before :rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Now, if you would've told me before what your choice would have been... :p

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
G-Skill for me every time,never had any problems and good for overclocking

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Now, if you would've told me before what your choice would have been... :p
Kingston, every day of the week for me. But that's only having used and sold thousands of modules of the stuff and aside from one DOA module (back in the late 90s), I've not had or seen a single failure.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Update - Corsair accepted the RMA, but I have to send both modules in for exchange, which I will most likely do next Monday, after the BMW M1 events. As soon as I do that, I'll unavailable for races for at least two weeks. Please try NOT to make some cool events in that time.

Users who are viewing this thread