Oculus Rift settings for GTX 1060 6G to get better/sharper long distance view? (1 Viewer)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Recently got me an Oculus Rift and have no or little experience with graphics settings (VR/Performance/et cetera).
I was wondering which setting will/might improve my far away distance view so I will have a better view on Apex and brake markers, and what will be a good setting for a GTX 1060 6G?

Or should I not waste my time and start saving money for a GTX 1070 or 1080?

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, I also tried VR with 1060. 3gb version though, all I archived is feeling sick for 3 hours.
Soo, I'm looking for some 1080(ti) deal.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Well, I also tried VR with 1060. 3gb version though, all I archived is feeling sick for 3 hours.
So, I'm looking for some 1080(ti) deal.
Sad to hear that it made you feel sick, I don't think that 6G will make that much of a difference. Maybe better first check if you don't get any 'motion sickness' issues with a 1080(ti)?

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Sad to hear that it made you feel sick, I don't think that 6G will make that much of a difference. Maybe better first check if you don't get any 'motion sickness' issues with a 1080(ti)?
I was fine with other not-so-demanding VR games, so I'm pretty convinced it was due to lack of fps and details, but could be wrong. In any case, I need faster gpu not just for VR :)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
I need faster everything... especially driving faster ;)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
In online races sometimes my view is very blurry in VR and I can hardly see the apex...have to sort of guess where it is.

My details
- interrnet 22Mbit/s down 1.4Mbit/s up
- graphics msi gtx 1060 6G

Question is what should I focus on for improvement out if these 3 options?

-change provider? Faster internet?
- lower pcars2 details settings?
- buy a better graphics card? Should be a small one because of the size of my PC

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It won't be your internet connection, do you have any post processing effects turned on? I Imagine motion blur and bloom could make visibility harder. I have mostly minimum settings across the board with my 970, and it's good enough for me, I wouldn't consider it blurry either.

Maybe an obvious suggestion, but slight misalignment of the headset itself changes the focal point of the lenses. There's a utility within oculus home which helps finding the right position.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@The Breeze have you tried to sharpening values in the oculus.xml?

This is besides supersampling, which sadly really isn't an option on a 1060, the best way to get better IQ. Else, as Battenberg said, switch off all post processing and set everything on low except texture resultion and texture filtering. Those won't harm performance. Motion Blur obviously off, detailed grass can be off too, you won't really notice it while racing.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I've found supersampling to be the only real way to get better results. I've adjusted over time to not being able to read a 50m board as close as I'd expect. With a 1080ti I can still only reliably get to 1.3 supersampling, and even then I need to drop that if we do a dusk or night race. Not sure 2080 series will solve that either as it's main performance booster is ray tracing and it will be dependent on developers implementing that in games. I doubt that SMS would see a return on releasing 20xx series support sadly

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
I found setting AA to low can make a big difference to some blurriness on apexes without any noticeable performance hit, also what is your in game resolution set to? That can cause blurriness if its too low as well, I think?

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The resolution setting should only affect the monitor mirror.

I have AA on medium, best compromise between IQ and performance imho.

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Is there a way to have better contrast?

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You can disable sun flare and dirt and so on :)

awittyusername

Community Member
Reaction score
As others have said, I find supersampling to make the biggest difference above all other settings. I too had a GTX 1060 6GB before recently upgrading a couple of steps to a 1070Ti so I can relate to your situation.

I have a Dell WMR headset so I have to set SS in Steam rather than anywhere else to make the difference, and I believe the ratios between Steam and in-game vary quite a bit.

In-game settings made zero impact to performance or appearance on my headset. I had to configure SS via Steam. On my 1060 I was able to set this to 185% with all in-game graphical options set to low or off and this improved the clarity quite a bit whilst maintaining the required 90 fps. On the 1070Ti, I have been able to set it to 250% and put some of the eye candy on.

Obviously, as I said the scaling between Steam and in-game SS must be different because I've heard of people recommending a 1080Ti for 200%! What I would say is, I'd keep shadows on but at the lowest setting - there's loads of corners where they're useful for braking markers.

Users who are viewing this thread