Oculus Rift stuttering, ASW stops working? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karoliens

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Couple of days ago I acquired Oculus Rift. I am very satisfied with immersion that it provides but I have some problems. I have attached the screenshots which show what settings I use within Project Cars 2 and OculusDebugTool. When I start the race during the wet or night conditions at the beginning it shows 45FPS and raises and falls to 45FPS. So I assume ASW is working just fine and there are no stutters. But after couple of corners the FPS starts to fluctuate within interval just above 45FPS and I start getting stutters when moving my head. And from that point if I quit the race I have same stutter in the menu as well until I restart the game. In my opinion ASW stops working at that point due to unknown reason but i could not figure out why.
I am running VR connected to AlienWare 15 R3 laptop which has i7 7820HK, 1070 GTX 8GB RAM and the game is installed on SSD. I have tried changing ASW from auto to locked 45FPS ASW enabled but the problem persists.
I do not have such problem with Assetto Corsa it stays at 45FPS or climbs above and I do not have any stuttering when looking around.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 615
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 558
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 751
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 625

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ctrl + Numpad 3 (or 1, 2, or 4 - pretty sure it's 3) will force ASW and lock to 45 fps, you can do this mid game - it's worth a try. I also use Oculus Tray Tool which can force it to 45 fps (as well as other things) - but I guess the debug tool is doing the same thing.

karoliens

Community Member
Reaction score
In theory DebugTool should work same as Tray Tool as it has ASW settings. But I tried changing to auto, lock to 45, disable. Issue persists. I googled a bit and found that ASW in DebugTool is bugged for PCars2. So I tried running the game directly from steam in steam VR and it seems I do not have this issue anymore. :) It is strange because when I run in Oculus mode the problem appears again. My assumption is that when running in Oculus mode DebugTool settings are enforced and that's why I have the problem.
My other question would be if there is a way to check FPS on screen while playing without using DebugTool due to mentioned reason. Does steam VR has such function?

karoliens

Community Member
Reaction score
I also instaled TrayTool but when I launch PCars2 the game start on my display but I am still at Oculus Home when I put Rift on. Profiler is set to launch pCARS2AVX.exe.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I don't bother to use the profiles in OTT, so can't help with it not launching properly. But you can set a performance overlay in OTT under 'Visual HUD Overlay' which will tell you the current FPS and performance headroom. There's some other overlays in there too, could be useful for debugging.

Laserbeak43

Community Member
Reaction score
I like the Rift, but I'm guessing you need a really powerful PC to use it. It stutters a lot in PCars 2. I asked around for help in the Oculus forums but didn't get a response. VIVE seems to do some of the processing in its breakout box, so I use that for PCars 2.

karoliens

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will try to upgrade when the new GPUs come out. But now I guess I need to live with some occasional stutters.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I also instaled TrayTool but when I launch PCars2 the game start on my display but I am still at Oculus Home when I put Rift on. Profiler is set to launch pCARS2AVX.exe.

Just had a thought on this, we know in steam it will give you the option to run in normal or steam/oculus vr mode if you launch it from the library. But I've had it launch directly into normal mode when launched from downloads (after a patch), or by joining a session from the friends list (if the game is not already running) - So I guess there's some sort of launch command line stuff going on in steam to get it going in Oculus mode. But yeah, I don't bother with profiles as I only turn off/on ASW in game.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Try this:

SteveO916

Community Member
Reaction score
you could try putting -vrnomirror in the steam launch options. This will stop the game being shown on your screen and just play it on the headset. that should free up some performance. (although it becomes a PITA because you have to use the gaze controls because the mouse cursor disappears for some reason.)*

also -Pthreads4 is supposed to spread the load over the cores of your CPU.

*edit: gaze control is useable if you edit the oculussettings.xml

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...hat-pesky-reticle-in-VR&highlight=oculus+gaze

<prop name="PointerSwitchTime" data="0.5" />
<prop name="PointerSwitchShortTime" data="0.5" />

Last edited:

David Fuller

Community Member
Reaction score
I had similar issues, no issues with anything else though. I found that the Oculus 2.0 Beta was causing issues for me, i reverted back to standard and used the same settings in this video and haven't had an issue since.

karoliens

Community Member
Reaction score
This thread could be closed as the issue was due to my systems' thermal throttling.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thread closed as per OP's request, following resolution of problem (see other thread about stuttering in pCARS2 and AC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread