PC2 Dedicated server setup (1 Viewer)

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
Ive spent a few hours today trying to configure a dedicated server on a spare machine I have.

What a had banger it is!
Can anyone point me in the direction of some tutorials to get one up and running?

Ive managed to get the server running, not tried any connecting yet, have been unable to connect to the web GUI for some reason, changed loads of settings in the server.cfg file to no effect.

Cant find much info on web

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@ramiboo and/or @Darksi are the people you should talk. They manage our DS :)

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hi Andy

I had trouble myself trying to set it all up when I was trying to configure a practice server, instead, i went with a hosted option for that. But to be honest I am just using the default config for that apart from adding a password and use the in-game feature to set up that particular server to whatever conditions we need. It is something I am still working on the side.

The main race servers are made available on a schedule for events but the Practice Server is available to use at any point should you need till you manage to get yours setup.

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
Cheers Darksi

It does seem really convoluted just to setup a server for me and a few mates to practice on.
I'm struggling to find out much about the web GUI...does that actually work, and if it does do you set the server settings up with that, or all via config files anyway?
I cant test connecting to my server until later; maybe the bit Im stuck on...the GUI is irrelevant anyway.

So, if you go with default configs, when you join the server, you have admin rights to then set it up how you want?

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The config on the practice server changes the name and the password, I then use the -selectds in the startup options of Project CARS2 to connect. And when you do that you configure as if you are setting up a peer-to-peer with multiclass or whatever settings you need. As you then click Launch event you effectively get a list of dedicated servers that are available to use. Select your server enter the password and your away.

I know there is a lot that can be done with the server configs with regards to track and car rotations and stuff like that, but i havent got that aspect working yet.

If i do i will post an update.

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
Ah, perfect, that makes sense. Ill try that out later on or tomorrow, cheers for the help :D

ramiboo

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, what @Darksi said. we run ours in a basic way. Best not to over complicate them. SMS wrote the DS and left it very open, if you have programming background there is a lot you can do with them to automate but we pretty much set everything up for the event evening. The servers configs can then stay static and you just connect, configure your options and go. Half the battle is the installation and running it in the background automatically, something we do on Linux to save as much of the resources for the DS itself.

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have the server running now, but cant see it in the dedicated server list...seems to be a common issue?

Out of interest, what is the difference when you add the -selectds do to the game...it looks the same as normal when I run it...

Here is my server showing in steam. Ive opened up the necessary ports, and checked they are open used port checker

upload_2018-1-25_17-41-40.png

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I know this one!!! -

1. Make sure the ports listed in the example config are port forwarding from your router to your server host ports
  2. don't launch dedicated server from steam - it won't work. You need to open it from a command prompt - you can get to the location from steam, there is a "browse local files" option somewhere on the context menu for the tool (in a tab somewhere).

Last edited:

Andy Bonar

Community Member
Reaction score
I know this one!!! -

1. Make sure the ports listed in the example config are port forwarding from your router to your server host ports
  2. don't launch dedicated server from steam - it won't work. You need to open it from a command prompt - you can get to the location from steam, there is a "browse local files option somewhere on the context menu for the tool (in a tab somewhere).
That did the job, cheers Paul :)

Just need to work out the cfg file now to set realism settings and all that, as you cant change any of that when you are actually in the server...but progress is being made :)

Users who are viewing this thread