Assetto Corsa Pre-Season #1: Silverstone (1 Viewer)

Pre-Season #1: Silverstone
Posted by m4nu
Assetto Corsa
Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 19:30
Until: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 - 22:59
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

The Wayfaerer

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
was able to fix my issues, it was basically just me being stupid and i just forgot to start AC at least once the old fashioned way so steam can install it's crap :rolleyes:

Morvic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have to stay out for this one, have some IRL stuff to do today.

Vernux

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sh*t to say but im gonna miss this one. Reinstalled my OS but things havent worked out as i planned so i have nothing installed yet(game and wheel drivers).

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Wont make it tonight, not feeling very well at the moment... luckily "only" pre-season, enjoy guys :)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Is DRS available for this one?
(I might still have time to squeeze this race in)
highly likely it will be in use for this race. will be explained during the briefing.

Nada

Community Member
Reaction score
Sorry i forget this race.

Diluvian

Community Member
Reaction score
Interesting session! My feedback to the car:

- Rear tyres (me on mediums) are slightly problematic, you really have to be patient and you're not able to really push the car over several laps (I think I was able to drive at my limit about 5 laps). As soon as it starts slipping it's very hard to catch the car and the overheated tyre will destroy the upcoming laps significantly. So it's definitely not only about pushing and being fastest, it's about managing the tyres, too :).
- If there is the intention to keep the field closer together I think the best gain would be to activate ABS and TC though it certainly destroys the immersion and the feeling of the whole car. Without ABS and TC it's about practicing and learning the car (me likes :D) and not just driving it 30min. before the race (except @Puffpirat xD).
- I like the car, though I definitely need additional practice to get the needed foot-sensitivity and handling sensitiviy :)

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ok....so never go on track when had zero practice is the advice for myself. Sorry about the briefing i wasnt aware of the time already so late.

Anyway my thought so far:
Cool cars ! Feels good but i dont if it was me but felt very very sensitive in some occasions. Need to adapt to udnersteer/less downforce when following and braking behind other cars. I tried Alex his setup it was undriveable for me so or there was something wrong with the setup or it is really driver related what concludes that we need some sort of semi-open setup. I think open Aero / Brakes / ARB would be sufficient. I clicked 1 more rear downforce already was big difference for me (yet balance wasnt great)

I dont have problems with the said TC/ABS. I do think that load cell brakes have upper hand when it comes to driving without ABS.
Tires only went out on Mediums and yeah you can f* them up when pushing to hard or drive to careless and thats fine by me.

The races yesterday were great fun imo. Only thing is that PLP was penalizing even when you werent faster when going offtrack. I made a mistake end up in the grass losing 8sec and still got a warning. Had that a few times.
Also i am not sure but i think we were going 3 wide into Maggots and Becketts in race 2 and i was in the middle and i think i bumped the car on the left of me off sorry bout that if it was my mistake.

Looking forward to this league.

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the races yesterday as the car is just awesome imo.
Was a little bit shocked that ABS isn't available (I don't care about TC) when I joined the server but after a couple of laps I had the right feeling for the car and really enjoyed the challenge that no ABS brings to the table :)

Nothing much to say about my races. Got punted off two times at the start which is really a shame and I have the impression that we really should start enforcing driving standards more as there are more and more L1 incidents... Still a very good race 1 with couple of great battles @Puffpirat @Jeff[NL] @Battenberg

About the car. For me it is just perfect in the current state. I added some rear wing yesterday, made the rear suspension softer to deal better with the bumps, lowered front ARB and thats it. On the medium tire I could attack every lap from start to finish, I just needed to drive precisely and clean, no harsh steering maneuvers and a little bit of throttle control.
Can't really understand the discussion that started afterwards. We are all playing a sim to get the closest experience how that actual car in real life feels, drives and behaves (at least that is my personal requirement for a sim racing game, maybe there are other opinions) . There are stories where it is explained that the F3 tires are nowerday pretty sensitive and are just like small F1 tires. FIA wants the young drivers to learn how the preserve tires and how to drive clean so Pirelli made exactly such a tire.
That we are now complaining that the tire behaves like in reality and that you can't overdrive and more important not oversteer the tire anymore, sorry that is beyond me. Learn to adapt, it's not is isn't possible and the car is completely undriveable and does not expected things all the time.

Another thing is the closed vs open setups discussion. I would be heavily for closed setups with little possibilities to change things. Why does aero need to be open? Just find a good balance like 16/19 wings and you are good for the whole season, it's the same for everyone. If you leave that open you will have people with enough time, which will check every aero combination for what is the fastest on the specific track. Does that make the racing better and the field is closer together? No, it just heavily favors people with more time to practice.
Imo we should one need tire pressures, fuel and ARBs. Everything else is just a matter of making the car faster and gaining an advantage over others, who don't have the time or/and the knowledge.
And @miagi , sorry to name you personally, but I really don't get the logic behind your argument from yesterday, that a closed setup always favors people with more time to practice and the solution is to open up the setups. I'm pretty sure that this even increases the gap from first to last, because you have then two variables (setup + practice) instead of one (practice).

Tl,dr please leave the cars like they are and don't allow ABS :)

Cheers,
Exited

The Wayfaerer

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
i also want to give a bit of feedback to yesterday's event

in my opinion it was really fun throwing those cars around silverstone, yeah passing due to the dirty air following somebody was a bit of an issue, but it could be far worse

in terms of TC/ABS discussion i think we should keep them off as with this race, because this would kill a bit the spirit of the car, and you really have to go crazy on the brakes to lock them up properly so i don't think it will be needed

setup wise we already had a big discussion yesterday after the race in TS, i also want to give my thoughts in here
like some already said i think a semi-open setup would be the way to go, i drove with Alex's setup yesterday, but i also have to say that the base line setup (at least for me) felt already quite good and i was only marginally slower with it
so i think we should definitely keep things like Aero, ARBs and Diffs, brakes, open
i also have to say if we take either of the extreme routes i would prefer to go for a full open setup instead of the fully closed as you need to make certain adjustments to fit the car to different driving styles

also the tire discussion i think we should leave it as it is, maybe lock it to hard tires only, but in the end we are here to recreate certain motorsports series as good as we can and currently in F3 it is kind of the deal to not go full balls to the wall all the time and look a bit after the tires to get optimum performance throughout the race
i think this could also make races interesting if somebody burns all his tires in the beginning and starts to fall back and people taking a bit conservative approach at the beginning can catch up later

if something else comes to my mind i will let you guys know
overall i think this is going to be a great season as i really like the car and the tracks also seem very fitting with a few nice challenges like Road Atlanta

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Nothing much to say about my races. Got punted off two times at the start which is really a shame and I have the impression that we really should start enforcing driving standards more as there are more and more L1 incidents

Hi @Exited I will hold my hands up for making contact in race 2 at T4, the tight left hand hairpin. I thought I was being as careful as I could, it wasn't a divebomb, I simply placed the nose of my car too close to you when turning in, very sorry for that.

As for the car, it is okay to drive. It feels quite 'numb' to me in some parts, so I find it hard to feel where the grip is. I don't care much for having a set-up or not as I don't have the time to put lots of practice in. The fast guys will always be fast. I found that both my races were very quiet, apart from one or two laps where I could battle with someone. Then it was very lonely, I don't think I saw another driver in race 2 for more than half the race.

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
First of all for race one turn 1 apoligys for who ever i reaer ended you hit the brakes locked up and just slid right infront of me i had zero time to avoid((still unsure why you braked on t1 nothing was there and you could of just run wide but hey ho s#&t happens)) ok so eermm yeah what to say first of all glad im not signing up imo the car is just too unpredictable. You can have 1 or 2 perfect laps then out of no were the car will just flip you round in a slow corner. If you get a slight twitch on it is imposible to recover tbh i think its the tires as through out race one i pushed the car to its limits and there was some weird issues with either overheating or too cold not all tires but just one(dont know if others noticed it) seemed to be only the right side of the car. So in summery fun little car but god awful tires.. Have a fun season and happy racing....

Corentin_Bergès

Community Member
Reaction score
Just a quick chat about the tyres : we looked into the car data with @miagi last night after the race and optimum temperatures are completly wrong and waaay to low compared to real F1 type tyres. (70°C for softs ? Should be around 100....)

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
Regarding tires, this is taken from IRL F3.

And this is taken from the guy who made the RSS Formula 3 mod.

Post automatically merged:

Just a quick chat about the tyres : we looked into the car data with @miagi last night after the race and optimum temperatures are completly wrong and waaay to low compared to real F1 type tyres. (70°C for softs ? Should be around 100....)

But they are not F1 tires? These are F3 tires. :)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Really enjoyed yesterday eventhough only just before the race I realized I only had the RSS2 but not the 3 installed xD The car is bloody brilliant! Best car in AC imho. I wouldn't want to change too much, like you guys say not having ABS and TC adds character and depth to the car and racing.

I lked how the tires added another layer to the experience. In S1 und S2 of the Evolution Series tire management wasn't a factor so having that now feels like a great addition. I would want to test the car more before saying if fixing the tires to hards or leaving them open would be better.

@Exited I have to disagree on one point with you. @miagi is right that the more you fix the setup, the more you benefit drivers that practice a lot. The less I can change on the car, the more I need to adapt to it, which requires track time perfecting lines.

Setup-wise we could probably fix the suspension regarding springs and dampers. Hard front and soft rear with according dampers is pretty much a given with the car balance and tire degradation. Aero wise I liked that yesterday we had guys running low, medium and high downforce. It added variation and made for some changes in pace throughout the lap creating different overtaking opportunities. We could think about limiting the available steps to 3 or 4, enough to have different overall downforce levels. I would limit the rear wing but leave the front wing open, for aero balance reasons.

Diff should be open, it was one of the main changes yesterday that made @Alex Salmon setup drivable for me (thanks for sharing :)).

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I must be honest, I didn't notice anything with the tyres. Maybe I don't drive them hard enough to notice.

Exited

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I must be honest, I didn't notice anything with the tyres. Maybe I don't drive them hard enough to notice.
Nah, I drove them really hard and still noticed nothing suspicious... This is why I don't get the whole fuzz around them...
Post automatically merged:

Really enjoyed yesterday eventhough only just before the race I realized I only had the RSS2 but not the 3 installed xD The car is bloody brilliant! Best car in AC imho. I wouldn't want to change too much, like you guys say not having ABS and TC adds character and depth to the car and racing.

I lked how the tires added another layer to the experience. In S1 und S2 of the Evolution Series tire management wasn't a factor so having that now feels like a great addition. I would want to test the car more before saying if fixing the tires to hards or leaving them open would be better.

@Exited I have to disagree on one point with you. @miagi is right that the more you fix the setup, the more you benefit drivers that practice a lot. The less I can change on the car, the more I need to adapt to it, which requires track time perfecting lines.

Setup-wise we could probably fix the suspension regarding springs and dampers. Hard front and soft rear with according dampers is pretty much a given with the car balance and tire degradation. Aero wise I liked that yesterday we had guys running low, medium and high downforce. It added variation and made for some changes in pace throughout the lap creating different overtaking opportunities. We could think about limiting the available steps to 3 or 4, enough to have different overall downforce levels. I would limit the rear wing but leave the front wing open, for aero balance reasons.

Diff should be open, it was one of the main changes yesterday that made @Alex Salmon setup drivable for me (thanks for sharing :)).
I also really liked that you can make a difference with your driving style and that clean and precise driving is awarded by this car and tire. No smashing around the car like in the DTM and Ginetta, more driving like in modern F1 and formula cars in general.
I would even add some more tire wear as it was pretty simple to do the 30min race on the mediums aka I couldn't feel any tire degradation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread