rFactor 2 Project BTCC Feedback Thread (1 Viewer)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

This is the feedback thread for the Project BTCC test season. Specific feedback that we are looking for includes the following:-
  • Positive, negative, neutral feedback, whatever comes to your mind!
  • How did you like the schedule?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?

@steveg200 @Blue Monkey @Alex Salmon @Corentin_Bergès @Taorminator @Elodyr @Battenberg @Paradyski @Mark @Ben Watkinson @Gosku @Jonno @Eugene Gajkin @MelBonkers @Anto @FlyAxL @Sonic @Nevil @Stokemon @FuBii @Shepard @Biff @Freak Superman

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
+ Besides Crofts concrete cones, all good track choices
+ Fun cars
+ rFactor 2 just works :)
+ Awesome Safety Car :)
  • Safety car needs better tweaking
  • We need more drivers
  • There are very few people that have "open" mic in Teamspeak
  • Where is my thunderstorm rain?
- Driving standards were abysmal - way too many incidents
- Balance of performance is not good enough (my recommendation: Little nerf for Honda, little power buff for BMW)
- [General RSR problem] Many drivers are not showing up after race 1

Following official free tracks could be interesting for BTCC - definitely would take out Croft though due to the concrete cones, except you can edit them out:
  • Road Atlanta
  • Zandvoort
  • Lime Rock

Last edited:

Ben Watkinson

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I liked it, enjoyed the schedule specially worked for me on weekends, as weekdays I wouldnt have been able to race, driving standards were hit and miss some rounds, if you plan on doing a full BTCC season I'd keep it to the official UK tracks with maybe a special race at end of season in Super tourers ;) ballast would have been good next season, on to nurfing the cars I personally wouldnt but would be nice to see the subaru back, the BMW in short it was sh*t was good at tracks like brands but a absolute joke at thruxton.

FlyAxL

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I enjoyed it, only sad i couldn't participate in the last round due to working during weekday on late shift.
I would have enjoyed some more tracks, so count on me if you plan another championship.
The racing was there and even if there were incidents, i would say this is part of the game and i ve learned some stuff racing with you.
Thanks for organising this, it was a blast.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
As a controller user, this sim is miles apart from pCars in almost every possible way so can't really comment as well as the other racers.
I'd likely need to spend a good 200 hours smashing around a few circuits to get the hang of the handling for this game. even to get the steering ratio at a decent point. That hairpin on the final track was horrible for me, ie. there's no steering difference regardless of speed. (there probably is a setting for this but I couldn't find it, or it didn't work as intended)
not bad for my first foray into rfactor. thanks for the opportunity & fun.

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
In Summary really really positive.

The racing was great. Close battles wherever I was in the field. I didn’t see anything horrendous driving standards wise but there was definitely a lot more contact than i would normally expect to see from this community in a project cars official event. I don’t think this is the end of the world as long as it’s just gentle nudging etc as we often see in real life BTCC races. I thought it actually made the races feel that much more realistic but I do also understand there is a very fine line easily crossed on this subject. Especially in sim racing rather than real.
Regarding the schedule I think it was just fine. Best point for me on this though was the adjustment made to the final race date due to a conflict with a popular race event which we all naturally would have wanted to watch considering our interest.

Nevil

Community Member
Reaction score
This was also my first ever rFactor 2 multiplayer event and it tastes like more. Until now I used rFactor 2 mainly for F1 mods.
Unfortunately I only participated in 2/4 races (one dns for technical issues and one for a real life event), but I learned 2 new tracks, because I never drove on Thruxton or Croft before. The 24/7(?) availability of the rsr practice server helped a lot in preparation. I also liked the 3 short races concept which were never boring ;)

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It was awesome and I d love to see more rf2 leagues! :) only one negative was that Croft ended up on a monday when league day was on sunday initially so I couldn't make the last race of the season :/ overall it was soooo good :)

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Totally agree with with running the league on a Sunday as it worked well for most people. The track and car choice were great even though the poor little Honda struggled to keep pace with the other cars. I liked the three short races with a reversed grid thrown in. Racing was clean most of the time but we did see some bad crashes. I think an orange zone for the first lap would work also lowering the damage multiplier might help so at least if you get damage you can continue the race without pitting. I would like to see a team championship with 2 or more drivers per team, PRO/ AM .to help those who struggle with pace or setups . Great work by @Jonno for creating this series.

Elodyr

Community Member
Reaction score
Overall I really liked the testseason despite some negatives. Will definitely sign up for a proper season with these cars.

Pros:
- Good racing for the most part
- I like the car choice in general
- Tracks were new for me, but a nice change to the usual suspects
- Some good banter during practice and between races

Cons:
- Some people took the idea of "It's BTCC, we gotta race hard" a bit too literal and just wrecked themselves and others time and time again
- BMW just got blasted overall even with a small advantage in the corners (BoP between RWD & FWD)
- T1's were not too great and a lottery if you got through unscathed (See orange Zone)

Things I personally would change:
- More "bad" weather (Maybe also transition during a race)
- Championship Ballast
- Extend the proper season to 6 or maybe even more races
- Orange Zone in Lap 1
- Tweak to Safety Car
- Adjust damage %
- Small BoP to BMW (or introduce Subaru)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Elodyr

Community Member
Reaction score
It was in Brands Hatch and even came out in one race. In Donington I don't recall a situation where it would've been needed. I missed Thruxton and heard that it was tweaked at some point. In Croft we had a huge crash in T1 and nothing happened, even though it should've been around. But not sure if it was even active at that point.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It was in Brands Hatch and even came out in one race. In Donington I don't recall a situation where it would've been needed. I missed Thruxton and heard that it was tweaked at some point. In Croft we had a huge crash in T1 and nothing happened, even though it should've been around. But not sure if it was even active at that point.
There won't be a SC for the next one (if we do another one ;)).

In simracing in general a safetycar does not make any sense because you can clear a crash/incident in no time. Only thing which makes sense is a code 80 in a longer race like SRC is doing it.

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
Safety Car makes sense, for immersion reasons and "spicing up" races, which it did in Brands and it was awesome.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Safety Car makes sense, for immersion reasons and "spicing up" races, which it did in Brands and it was awesome.
It does not "spice up" races, it ruins races by getting the field back together and negating any advantage you build up earlier.
But you can disagree as much as you want, if we do an official BTCC league the SC will be deactivated.

Alex Salmon

Community Member
Reaction score
It does not "spice up" races, it ruins races by getting the field back together and negating any advantage you build up earlier.
But you can disagree as much as you want, if we do an official BTCC league the SC will be deactivated.
Honestly, I think it’s a really cool feature that doesn’t completely ‘shake up’ or ‘ruin’ the racing but does add a few extra skills for us to manage as drivers. For example managing tyre and brake temp is important in these situations, to make sure you can get to speed as fast as possible you have to really focus on that. It’s not a Sunday drive for 1-2 laps. Also nailing your restart is important so you don’t get mugged. It’s just extra layers to the racing that we can get in Rf2 so why not utilise it? I dont really understand why people want to stay in their comfort zone all the time, try something now people! Also jonnos done quite a bit of work on tweaking the parameters of the sc and with a bit more work and few nights testing I’m sure we can iron it all out. I’m happy to help with it.

Ps allowing crashed cars not to go a full lap down is a great advantage too. Sc and damage repair being sped up can really work hand in hand there keep you on the right lap helping both the back marker and the leaders.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it’s a really cool feature that doesn’t completely ‘shake up’ or ‘ruin’ the racing but does add a few extra skills for us to manage as drivers. For example managing tyre and brake temp is important in these situations, to make sure you can get to speed as fast as possible you have to really focus on that. It’s not a Sunday drive for 1-2 laps. Also nailing your restart is important so you don’t get mugged. It’s just extra layers to the racing that we can get in Rf2 so why not utilise it? I dont really understand why people want to stay in their comfort zone all the time, try something now people! Also jonnos done quite a bit of work on tweaking the parameters of the sc and with a bit more work and few nights testing I’m sure we can iron it all out. I’m happy to help with it.

Ps allowing crashed cars not to go a full lap down is a great advantage too. Sc and damage repair being sped up can really work hand in hand there keep you on the right lap helping both the back marker and the leaders.
P1 drives a gap of 20 seconds to P2. P18 and P19 crashes, causing a safety car and P1 loses his all hard work. For me that is not spicing up things, sorry.

Happy to talk about virtual safety car a la F1 but I never liked the idea of SC at all, in real racing and simracing.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Difference there is these are short races where top 5 mostly run together and the back of the grid gets lapped by the end of the race. certainly something to discuss imo.

Users who are viewing this thread