Project CARS 3 Chit Chat (1 Viewer)

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
They do like to use controversy as a marketing strategy. All that “Bandai Namco released this without our approval” was the tactic in both previous releases. I can’t believe they’d improve the physics and destroy the sim stuff. Well I can, because the community influence has gone to be replaced by marketing execs and focus groups. The result will impress the masses and hits the revenue streams but the niche sim racers who saved the damn company are cast aside. The WMD donations saved SMS when they got screwed over. Those/we backers will feel betrayed if PC3 moves away from the vision that SMS declared as fundamental to the IP of PCars....

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, if you mention WMD... They should've avoid using the name "Project Community Assisted Racing Simulator" for this new game in the first place. To me Project CARS is the product of WMD.

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
100% agree, PC3 should be called P$3 , they probably looked at all the analytics of what features people played with and used the most, and cut out stuff most people don't use. With 90% of the sales being console, and on top of that most online races short with no pitstops, why the hell would they waste effort programming stuff less than 10% of the userbase use? It makes sense from a marketing perspective, sucks balls from the perspective of sim racers...we are so niche.
Take GT Sport as an example, it has a huge userbase and a really high profile in e-sports, nobody even dares to defend it's handling, tyre wear/heating or crappy pitstops. Personally I enjoy GT as my go to sofa racing game with a pad, and I have a G29 setup I roll out occasionally to use with it, but it will never replace my PC Rig, racing in VR is amazeballs.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Seeing as Nathan has stated that there will be no pitstops whatsoever - not even in multiplayer - I don't see pCARS3 being anything more than an option for us as a fun night blast, if it turns out to be good fun to play. I'll be honest and say that I'm surprised that it's this dramatic a change in direction but I don't think SMS could have released something like a more polished pCARS2 and sold it in significant enough numbers to justify the cost of production.

We're lucky here on PC though and especially here at RSR. We have AC, ACC, iRacing, rFactor2 and AMS2 just around the corner. Was there actually going to be room for another sim in there?

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Just when sim racing was becoming a little more "mainstream" due to covid and sim racing brodcast on tv they come up with an arcade-ish title, i think we can all agree no good can come from big names in gaming industry when speaking of SIM racing

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It's always been a niche genre in the world of gaming. I'm sure it will out sell PC and PC2 put together.

Eugene Flerko

Community Member
Reaction score
No matter how much I dislike their decision to remove pits completely (I prefer to think it was not impossible to make their availability optional) the game will still find own fans. Let's admit that we're just not the main target group.

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Will end up in fun nights together with wreckfest, rocket league, pubg and jackbox party

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Just when sim racing was becoming a little more "mainstream" due to covid and sim racing brodcast on tv they come up with an arcade-ish title, i think we can all agree no good can come from big names in gaming industry when speaking of SIM racing
You're honestly suggesting that SMS could have known about Covid way back when they started developing pCARS3? :p

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
the thing that perhaps needs to be understood is that the vast majority of players, are mainstream players: drive single player, with a controller most of them and prefer an arcade experience (anything more complex they will avoid), they want to have fun for a few minutes on some sprint races and that is it.
We are not exposed to that because we are let's call it 'simracers' and 'they' are just people that happen to enjoy do a nice and easy arcady race.

it appears (pending confirmation, although my money is that it will be confirmed, from all the evidence so far...) that they decided to cater to that audience, which as mentioned before will probably make them much more in sales than the previous 2 games combined, making their new owners, Codema$ter$ very happy.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Dunno about making Codemasters happy, the game is being published by Bandai Namco, but it depends on how big a cut SMS get from sales and what the deal was that they made with CM. It's entirely possible that CM don't see a penny of that cash.

SMS and Bandai Namco will have analysed what worked and what didn't, with regards pCARS1 and 2, and it's most likely that the entire direction of the game is borne from that analysis. As with Codemasters and the infamous 5%, if their info showed that the majority of the people that bought the game found it too complex, too challenging, too difficult to understand, then that's what they'll look to change. A change too far for a lot of the people who are still playing pCARS2 nearly 3 years post-launch. Let's face it, if you liked the more in-depth stuff, you'll have stuck around. If you didn't, you would have shelved the game 3 years ago. SMS appear to be going after the majority that shelved it or didn't buy it in the first place and I can't honestly blame them, they're a business after all.

One day, we might just get a sim with this many cars, this many circuits, with driver swaps, minimal online glitches (nothing's perfect) and supported long term. Until then, we just have to keep waiting.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Seeing as Nathan has stated that there will be no pitstops whatsoever - not even in multiplayer - I don't see pCARS3 being anything more than an option for us as a fun night blast, if it turns out to be good fun to play. I'll be honest and say that I'm surprised that it's this dramatic a change in direction but I don't think SMS could have released something like a more polished pCARS2 and sold it in significant enough numbers to justify the cost of production.

We're lucky here on PC though and especially here at RSR. We have AC, ACC, iRacing, rFactor2 and AMS2 just around the corner. Was there actually going to be room for another sim in there?
In (only) some ways this may be better for the sim community. In that less choices for sim means the population is centralised. Having PC2, AC, RF2 and iRacing has spread us thin. Obviously more great sims also push the other developers to improve.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
pCARS1 and 2 arguably did push others forward, away from the "cars must be hard to drive or there's no challenge". Some need to remember just how far other sims have come in the last 9 years, including iRacing with it's infamous "ice-racing" style. Whether SMS caused that or just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right thinking re. tyres, what is true is that we are in a much better place in 2020 than we were in 2011.

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
In (only) some ways this may be better for the sim community. In that less choices for sim means the population is centralised. Having PC2, AC, RF2 and iRacing has spread us thin. Obviously more great sims also push the other developers to improve.
You forget ams2 that is looking quite strong

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if AMS2 surplants pCARS2 in these parts. There's a nice variety of niche vehicles in there and that's a lot of what RSR is about, racing the stuff others don't want to :)

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if AMS2 surplants pCARS2 in these parts. There's a nice variety of niche vehicles in there and that's a lot of what RSR is about, racing the stuff others don't want to :)
and they managed to have suzuka instead of sakitto!

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
A little, but its not convincingly stronger than PC2 yet from what I understand. Whether we want to have leagues running in 3 separate games (4 including ACC) and have endurance teams running iRacing events is another question the admin team needs to consider.

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Yea from the videos showing up today - I really dont see this being a game that will be in RSR in any meaningful way at all....

It looks like you cannot simply have a GT3 race for instance.... check out the collection of classes in this... god I hope you dont have to have stock cars on track when you just want a GT3/GT4 race. If not honestly I dont even see me buying this.

The horror show continues :hungover:

Users who are viewing this thread