Project CARS 2 R3: Silverstone (1 Viewer)

R3: Silverstone
Posted by Darksi
Project CARS 2
Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 18:30
Until: Thursday, July 11, 2019 - 21:00
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
haha. mine broke after 1week. i have uncovered my g29 now but no practice...not gona happen :D

Congrats on the domination! speaky tactics
The brand new shiny Fanatec stuff broke? How? What? Why?

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The brand new shiny Fanatec stuff broke? How? What? Why?

Wheel base was making a knocking sound so fanatec said they would replace it so they can investigate properly

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
@UnstopaPaul @Stokemon congrats guys. Going slicks in the second race made a lot of sense, I calculated about 10-15 seconds quicker, but with the track drying quickly it was even more of a slam dunk.
The real strategy masterclass was managing slicks on the first race. When doing first race sims I could not hold pace for more than 2 laps before the wets got substantially faster. How you managed to do race 1 on slicks I'll never know.
Nice seeing a non-German occupying the top steps. Well done guys. Alien.

We really need a team practice session, I didn’t even think about doing that. Are you around at the weekend?

Eugene Gajkin

RSR Academy
Reaction score
My race
The first race was exciting , I fought with Fubii and even 4 minutes before the end of the race was able to overtake him , but on the next lap he returned to his position. I made a mistake and I was approached by three pilots @Nakor @Nada, @Angel Monroy. On the line leading to the turn of stow, I was overtaken by @ Nakor, in the penultimate turn I was overtaken by @Nada and on the starting line I was also overtaken by @Angel Monroe. On the last lap because of the fight @ Nakor and @Nada I was able to play 1 position.
The second race I failed because I did not change the rain tires on slicks and rolled back from 12 starting position to 22

Angel

Community Member
Reaction score
My race
The first race was exciting , I fought with Fubii and even 4 minutes before the end of the race was able to overtake him , but on the next lap he returned to his position. I made a mistake and I was approached by three pilots @Nakor @Nada, @Angel Monroy. On the line leading to the turn of stow, I was overtaken by @ Nakor, in the penultimate turn I was overtaken by @Nada and on the starting line I was also overtaken by @Angel Monroe. On the last lap because of the fight @ Nakor and @Nada I was able to play 1 position.
The second race I failed because I did not change the rain tires on slicks and rolled back from 12 starting position to 22

Man the battle @Nada da, @Nakor and I were having prior and after that was so enjoyable!

My second race was similar to yours, I got up to 6th before anyone pitted with wet tires, and then pitted and didnt change the tires either! arrgg! pitted again and ended up 25... such a shame...

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Had a fun nights racing so thanks to all involved!

Unexpected pole position for qualifying - especially with only 12-15laps practice in total.

Started on wets for both races - nice battle with @Puffpirat for the lead but soon the guys on slicks @UnstopaPaul and @Stokemon breezed past. The second race I had a strong start going from 5th to 2nd battling with @Puffpirat - I wanted to stay behind before the pit stop (hoping he would know when the best time to pit was) - darted into the pits then stalled once the pit stop was done what cost me 5 seconds. I came out very far down the field but it was fun battling back through to 7th on the slicks. Shame I didn't practice for this one as I'm sure I would have swung towards running the slicks.

Big congratulations to @UnstopaPaul and @Stokemon on the great strategy and performance

Sonic

Community Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the hard struggle on the track, but I will have to serve a two-week sentence for this. I will work out driving standards.:bookworm:

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@t0daY @Darksi As you haven't put the thread up for R4 I will let you know here I won't be available. Not sure how much wifi I will have so thought I'd better let you know before I forget/can't.

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@t0daY I won't manage a hat trick of races in a row :( :hilarious:

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
So, what is there to say about this race then. Pretty uneventful really....

No seriously, this race was a lot of fun for multiple reasons. By now everyone knows that I went with Slicks throughout both race 1 and 2. Probably my favourite bit of racing is working out race strategy and in recent seasons there has been little opportunity for this due to the short races with no obvious need for pitstops for tyres or fuel. I'm not the fastest driver, I tend to make up for my lack of immediate grasp of the track with lap after lap of repetition and exploring the conditions across the entire race.This race was a great opportunity to do both. Wet conditions are challenging, and light rain begs the question as to what is better over the course of the entire race. Experimenting has been really fun (and yes, I even looked at slicks front / wets rear and the reverse).

Qualifying
Really happy with this, I've hit as low as 1:12.800, so getting a 1:12:9xx was close to optimal. Getting near the start of the grid was also pretty good for starting on the slicks, as the worst scenario was getting stuck behind cars for the driest laps of race 1.

Race 1
Sadly once more my start was apparently terrible (I need to book a master class with @Puffpirat or something), so I ended up between the team mates @Puffpirat and @CatchAGlimpse battling. This made it harder to get past and lap 1 with me having significantly more speed through corners, but no gap to go through. On lap 2 though there was space between them and the grip at Stowe to Vale proved to be the decisive factor, passing both within a couple of corners.

The next few laps were about gaining as outrageous gap as possible, before the innevitable closing in of the pack.At one point I noticed @Puffpirat dropping back quite a lot and my teammate @Stokemon moving into second, so I guessed that a mistake had been made, which really took the pressure off. Each lap from that point the slicks were going to be worse than the wets, so the extra gap was very welcome. In the end the gap was just too much to close, so I never had to find out if I could defend in slicks. P1, job half done.

Race 2
This was the more interesting by far, due to the light rain --> overcast. Starting in first was naturally the best version of the plan and I had hoped to annoy people on the right tyres by defending for at least half a lap. However, the slicks really are not good at the start of the race, so not colliding with anyone was the main task. I quickly slipped back to 5th, but was happy not to slip any further. @Stokemon lined up behind me and I felt that this was pretty good as far as the plan went, neither of us needed to pit and neither was up for taking the other off track. It was convoy time.

From this point the race was really quite simple, other than a little bit of frame stutter you can hear me complain about on stream. The plan: Don't bin it, don't drop an unecessary half second in a silly attempt to over-drive the car. I was already starting to do at least "equal" laps when the leaders started to pit early, with @FuBii first in from 4th at about 27mins to go. Until this point I was only 95% certain that there was no one in front on slicks, as the top 3 stayed out for a while longer. When I saw them come in, I was already gaining quickly on them and everything was now in place. Clearly @kobusnell had worked out what I had, as he was the only person that @Stokemon were struggling to truly shake. Utimately we had a good lead and despite some pretty nervy driving by me, we were both well out in front at the end. P1 job done.

Summary
It was great to plan something and to have it work so well. I've never had a P1 in top tier RSR racing, so this is pretty special. Strategy wins are sweet. Here I have to give a shout out to @Stokemon who was on my tail all the way second race, but put the team ahead of an attempt to go by me. We've done a lot of races together now as team mates and I've always enjoyed them more because we both want to see the team do well. Good job to @Darksi too, who I think made it back up to 14th after a bumpy beginning.It's great to be working with a group of Radgie Gadgies looking at the team championship.

My PoV

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Qualified really well for the first race, P7! highest I've been since Zhuhai in the last league. Like @UnstopaPaul, my starts are currently my weakest point in this car, every standing start I get mobbed off the line.
Had an amazing battle with @Eugene Gajkin for the majority of race 1. Had a panic at the end though as @Nada suddenly appeared in front of me in the final corner on the last lap having previously checked that the group he was in was a good 1.6s behind me before the chicane.... still couldn't work out what happened from @Eugene Gajkin's footage.. Don't know if they are gonna submit themselves to an inquiry or are sorting it out themselves..

For that second race, you were extremely lucky for the rain to stop as quickly as it did. if it had kept going till the last 15 minutes as it had for all my practise runs, you'd likely have been struggling. As it was, the moment I could hear the track dry on the back straight I was straight into the pit.
(WHAT! you heard the track dry?! yes, you can actually hear the water spray off the tyres, you can also see the amount of spray decrease dramatically behind you)
Bit disheartened to drop to the back of the field but knew I'd make my way back to the front, pretty rapidly as it turned out. Was catching a number of people at 4/5s per lap & overtaking in some really obscure places you normally wouldn't.
Was hoping my pace would sink me deeper into the top ten but when I got to p 9 & saw the gap to felix I just settled in to bring it home for a good result.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Well done @FuBii! 2x P9 will secure us some precious points.

I was feeling quite comfortable in the rain, just lacking some pace as always. Qualy'd P20 and finished P16 in the first race.

For the second race I was too afraid to start on slicks, as my testing with them was more than scary. I decided to play it safe and take the wets for the start. My main mistake was to not switch to the slicks early enough. I dropped from P16 to P22. When I put on the slicks around the 20min mark I could catch up to the guys in front and finally made it to P20, as some guys were still on wets and struggling to keep the tires cool.

Unexpectedly a good experience. I hope we keep it like that for the future

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
For that second race, you were extremely lucky for the rain to stop as quickly as it did. if it had kept going till the last 15 minutes as it had for all my practise runs, you'd likely have been struggling
I'm reasonably confident that it was in hand. I prefer not to rely on luck and did multiple test runs. That said, this was only the *average* condition, as the rain stopped bang on 20mins remaining according to my crewchief. With over 20 cars on the track, there was always going to be a bit of dry line forming even during the rain. @Stokemon will confirm we could have pushed harder if needed. I doubt I'll ever finish 44 secs ahead of @Puffpirat again though :D

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm reasonably confident that it was in hand. I prefer not to rely on luck and did multiple test runs. That said, this was only the *average* condition, as the rain stopped bang on 20mins remaining according to my crewchief. With over 20 cars on the track, there was always going to be a bit of dry line forming even during the rain. @Stokemon will confirm we could have pushed harder if needed. I doubt I'll ever finish 44 secs ahead of @Puffpirat again though :D

I had also tested the conditions a number of times using AI to see how the track changes. Was 100% confident that the the slicks were much faster over the whole race. Even more so if I could keep the times down in the wet.

Once it was dry and we were leading we could have gone faster. Especially through traffic as we came through some battles.

I'll never beat @Puffpirat like that again (all thanks to @UnstopaPaul) . I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts!

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
Enjoy it guys, you did your homework and pulled off a great win. Good work! :)

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Results are available here

Users who are viewing this thread