Until: Thursday, August 8, 2019 - 21:00
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Angel

Community Member
Reaction score
This was some weird ghost stuff @eagle was this @Angel lag hitting you or who was it?

I can dig my saved game as well but in my screen you were lagging like crazy from the start of the race jejeje. In that one in particular it looked like you came from the back and hit him with purpose :)

If you look at the angle in your video, his car gets hit from the right side at an angle, which would have been difficult from behind, but well... lag is lag...

Owfier

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I can dig my saved game as well but in my screen you were lagging like crazy from the start of the race jejeje. In that one in particular it looked like you came from the back and hit him with purpose :)

If you look at the angle in your video, his car gets hit from the right side at an angle, which would have been difficult from behind, but well... lag is lag...
I am so sorry, this was probably because I was streaming :(
Next time I won't stream clearly...
I thought for a second it was @Angel because for me he was pretty laggy the race before and since your car moves a little bit like it get's an other bump by someone just when angel drives by. Sorry!

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Well, Bathurst once more does not disappoint. I know that many will declare Spa or the Nordschleife the best track in the world, but for me nothing quite gives me the same buzz as this track.

Using the Clio here was very different to my previous appearances in faster RWD cars. The Clio can go full throttle most of the way up the hill, with the skill being to minimise slippage, rather than to survive the walls. Going down the hill remembering to never, never coast meant readjusting to allow a little more gap to the person in front, since these cars stick to each other like glue anyway. What suprised me most that there were almost opportunities to pass on the mountain that just don't (sensibly) exist in other faster cars.

Going into the last round I had @CatchAGlimpse ahead of me in 2nd, well out in front, and @t0daY behind me in a possible, but difficult 29pt deficit. Manu was a little further back than he really should have been, due to the disconnect in race 1 at Monza. Basically If I could either finish top 5 in both races, or more importantly, see @t0daY crossing each of the finish lines, then there was a 3rd place in the championship up for grabs. Knowing this I was not included to overly contest places as finishing without incident was the priority.

Qualifying
I knew I had a reasonably strong pace. Honestly I'd expected a 2:25.xxx for the pole sitter. It was only at the end of quali, when I realised that the time I was disappointed in (2:25.9xx) was still good enough for 4th on the grid. I guess the practice paid off enough to make up for mistakes.

Race 1
So I confused myself on the start of race 1 by getting the best standing start of all season and I think of the top 4 (great timing Paul, last round of the season). Sadly I was so surprised I didn't know what to do with it. Watching the replay back I could easily have cut infront of @steveg200 and blocked @PatatorJohn from passing me if I had been more aware. Instead I ended up right up the back of the car in front and almost having to let off the gas on T1. A new experience for me. I'll store that in my head for next time.

It became quickly apparent that the top group was going to swap around a lot. The first climb was a little nervy. Sorry to @PatatorJohn as I cut him off far more than I realised until I watched the replay.

I tried to tuck in and pull away from the cars behind, preferring to have a nice gap from 5th to 6th rather than try to get into 3rd. It became obvious though that this was never going to happen. Everyone in front wanted to battle from the outset, meaning the car behind would always catch up again, even if they lost the draft for a bit. This committed me to getting involved in the race for 1st to 5th.

I'm not sure of the lap, but mid race I got an amazing chance. @Puffpirat (?) pulled out on Mountain Straight to pass @t0daY . Using his slipstream I managed to take a lot of extra speed into Griffins Bend and pass on the left hand side going into the cutting.

That made the remaining race very tense. Watching 1st and 2nd nearly collide every run down the hill, knowing that @t0daY was closing at the same time required an insane amount of concentration. The front battle meant no chance to try and pull away, just a constant check for opportunities or crashes.

On the last lap on the way down to the chase I nearly blew the whole thing. A bad corner let @t0daY set up for a last corner pass. Inexperience nearly blew it as I went defensive, but slowed down so much I nearly took all the curb last corner. My exit was terrible and I didn't even defend Manu's line properly. In the end I think I beat him to the line by a bumper.

3rd Place and podium. Somehow I have maintained my streak of always coming away with a podium at the mountain. Long may it continue.

Race 2
With race 1 I had actually increased the gap to 4th in the championship, so the focus was back to not crashing out (haha). Start was ok, though @t0daY quickly got me in the draft on Mountain Straight.

Not long after @steveg200 made an audacious move down the hill towards the Chase on the right hand side. Uncertain about what grip he had there, and not being completely aware of him, I got my braking wrong, while on the left side. I couldn't really avoid @t0daY at that point and gave him a rather hefty punt. Fortunately I think I was actually the one who came off worst and I dropped down to 7th. Lucky for me I only had minor aero damage and top speed seemed unaffected.

I really don't remember an awful lot of the middle of this race, other than constantly watching as people exchanged places, and hoping to avoid death on the mountain. I know that @kobusnell was around, and that @t0daY and I had to avoid @Puffpirat at forest elbow. At some point my team mate @Stokemon gazzumped my passing move on Mountain Straight. Not wanting to risk getting the block wrong I let him pass through.

Places kept changing hands and I got back past @Stokemon and into 5th. Last lap, coming down to the chace I saw @t0daY trying to pass @Taorminator ahead. I decided to line up for the exit to The Chase, in case they collided on the entrance. As I watched them come extremely close it was clear they'd both sacrificed the corner somewhat, where I was coming in on the perfect line to maybe get alongside either one or both for Murray's. Sadly @Stokemon, wanting to get in on the same action got to close and outbraked himself, clipped me, tried to pull out and managed to spin me entirely. I may have said a few naughty words. @Stokemon did of course wait for me, gentleman racer he is so I ended up crossing the line in 7th. Maybe not the full potential for this race, but in the context of the championship it was mission accomplished.

Aftermath
If you'd told me at the start of the season I'd be competing for the top 3 places I wouldn't have believed you. I think the FWD car gels with me quite a lot, perhaps I adapted to the physics of FWD/front engine a little better. It was also nice to spend most of my practice time optimising laps and setup, rather than trying to get a full lap on the track.

A few things have gone in my favour - getting the strategy right for Silverstone, a bit of luck at Catalunya. Ultimately though I felt genuinely competitive and able stay near, if not pass the front runners. Without silly dirty air it's been possibly to get the power straight down out of corners and stick right with the guy in front. It was also very rare to find yourself in a bubble with no action around

Congratulations to @Puffpirat on another victorious championship. Congratulations also to @CatchAGlimpse who has been outstanding the last 2 seasons and extremely consistent, never having a result worse than 7th. Many thanks to @t0daY for the very close run battle for 3rd place. It's made the season all the more engaging.

Congratulations to Smoking Aces (Team OP) for the insanely strong finish and the Team Championship win. Those Hamilton 82 cars were always in front, at the side and just in the rear view mirror. It felt like they were everywhere. Congrats and thanks to my team mates in Radgie Gadgies. 2nd place was a great result. Who knows what we could do on a full turnout.

It's also been great to see other new comers provide some excellent runs. @cpcdem and @Fe1ixS both getting podiums. This season hasn't just been the regular crew. It would have been really interesting to see what would have happened if @steveg200 and @ProjectPD had been able to complete the entire season. @steveg200 looked particularly strong in the Clio

Now I think I'm happy to take a few weeks off and not stress that I should be practicing. I'm sure I'll be demanding the new season soon enough. Thanks everyone who took part, its been great fun, close racing. I'm hoping it can continue into Season 8.

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Oh man I feel even worse watching that. So sorry @UnstopaPaul it was the lightest touch that I tried to avoid. So sorry it ended so badly.

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Was really looking forward to Bathurst . Game started and i had no controls so had to re calibrate which altered my steering ratio from what i had been practicing with .Qually went pretty good and managed to get P3. Had a dreadful start which put me in P5 . Had some good battles but i think i was running too higher radiator setting to fight for the lead. Race two started in P5 ( forgot to lower my radiator again ) so i just tried to stay in the tow of the top four but luckily for me some people had contact which eventually put me in P2 where i stayed until the end.Congrats @Puffpirat on two well deserved wins

Congrats to @Puffpirat on another championship win and congrats to @Puffpirat @CatchAGlimpse @t0daY on winning the team championship.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

steveg200

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread