Show off your rigs! (1 Viewer)

Iceman07

Community Member
Reaction score
Admire when people build their own stuff! Just the obvious question iceman :p why not build a small monitor stand directly behind the steering wheel? Was thinking just a plank to put the tv on it, would increase the immersion a lot :)

Yeah would be a solution, but I've got no time and I'm not sure how it would work with space and I also use it to watch tv. So I would have to move it everytime :confused:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Edited post to be less of an ass. Sorry, I have shoulder, Schätzelein. *grunz*
LOL no worries, I'm married and used to the beating ;)

Yeah would be a solution, but I've got no time and I'm not sure how it would work with space and I also use it to watch tv. So I would have to move it everytime :confused:
Yeah I know that problem, had to do this everytime I wanted to play a FPS. Now I just don't play them anymore lol

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Nearly done :)

File_000(1).jpg

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Neutrik ftw! I'm trying to figure out what this is. Speakons on the left for loudspeakers, (4 channels, Bi amped?); grey & blue switched powercon for mains power in (not sure why there's 2 and different colorus); fuses around the back... Is this some sort of dual channel butt kicker power amp control panel/interface?

Superb work though. I wish I was this tidy.

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, your pretty much right.

I got tired of the mass of wires/mains sockets and everything else going into the rig so been working on a termination box / umbilical cord to tidy it all up and allow me to quickly connect the rig.

From left to right you have.

• speakON - NL4 Speaker Output Connector - this connects to the rear left and right transducers.
  • speakON - NL4 Speaker Output Connector - this connects to the front left and right transducers.
  • On/Off switch for powerCON (Grey)
  • powerCON (Grey) this is a mains output feed which goes to power the 4x250W RMS amplifier which drives the transducers.
  • powerCON (Blue) this is the mains input feed into the system.
  • On/Off Switch for powerCON (Blue)
At the back you have fuses for the amplifier and the hard wired mains connections into PSU's that power the steering wheel and USB Hub.

Hoping to have some time tonight to get it fitted onto the rig, and then everything should be complete.. for now :)

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Wish I was good at electrics, well I wish I was good at anything really :rolleyes:

Look at the bass shakers on that :D wouldn't I love to get my hands on those :oops: review please, 4?

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
When do we get to see the rest of the rig?

It started about 12 months ago when I started playing pCars and got the full on sim-racing itch, combine that with my engineering and electronics background and to be perfectly honest it's got a bit our of hand since then. :) I've not posted any pics to date as it always felt like it was unfinished. I think now it's finally at a pretty complete stage, so if your interested I could do a build log post.

Look at the bass shakers on that :D wouldn't I love to get my hands on those :oops: review please, 4?

I started off with a single Buttkicker Mini LFE mounted under the seat and a piece of software called SimVibe that uses an additional sound card to send vibrations based on the data from the game.

From an immersion perspective it just takes it up a notch, having the thud of the gear box when you change up/down, the shaking that goes through your back when you run it over the rumble strips, and the thud from when you have some contact really adds an extra dimension.

I would definitely recommend this if your looking for a little something extra as a single is not ridiculously expensive. But don't purchase it thinking it will make you a better driver, it's just adding to the immersion factor.

However being the type of person I am my long term objective was to run SimVibe in chassis mode. This is where you have a shaker on each of the corners of the rig and the software recreates the vibrations for each channel independently . From here it starts to get expensive quickly and you face a whole raft of engineering challenges. The butt-kicker mini-lfe's are rated at 250W RMS, so to drive 4 of them you need a 4x250W RMS amp. There are loads of cheap amps around but they struggle to drive the 250W RMS peak these can draw. Here I imported an amp from Germany the thomann t.amp E4-250 to drive them, it's a heavy bit of kit and when running the fans are not silent and you can probably hear them over your headphones, this led to the second challenge of re-locating the amplifier into the attic and then running cables down the wall into the office. This took a bit of work but got there in the end.

Another challenge is the mounting, luckily as my rig is 80/20 aluminium it was reasonably easy to find mounting points on the rig to mount these to. If you don't have something that is easily adapted you may need to be resourceful in finding a mounting solution. also the ButtKicker's are almost 1kg each so adding 4 will add another close to an additional 4kg to the weight of your rig.

Okay so now it's all mounted great, but next you need to think about the vibrations. You need to make sure your rig is isolated from the floor in some way as depending on the floor material it can absorb the vibrations giving a flat feel to the experience and also really *$!* off the other people living with the vibrations going through the rest of the house.

After all I said and done, I don't regret it. I do question if a full chassis setup is worth the money but I wouldn't change it.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
That sounds awesome, I also have an 80/20 rig, mine stands on feet with rubber bases, so I already have the isolation. To be honest I'm not looking at ways to make me faster, though it would be nice, I have lots of fun and I want to have the best experience possible along with that.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I guess it is my turn now :) This is my rig :stig::stig::stig::
  • T300 Servo Base + 8:10 scaled Ferrari 599XX EVO Alcantara Wheel
  • T3PA Pro Pedals
  • TH8A H-Shifter
Usually I race only with 1 screen. On my left monitor is most of the time TeamSpeak, OBS and steam chat. On the right side I use Tom Shanes Profiler for pCars. Unfortunately I have to mount/unmount my setup everytime, it is pretty annoying but who cares :D

Last but not least I found an older picture from my "old" rig (before I restructured my whole desk :D Can not believe I was driving like that :banghead:)

Little update on my desk :) :) :)

15205582_1231233603611262_2043698318_o.jpg
15216114_1231233576944598_1019839339_o.jpg

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ooohh @t0daY i like that keyboard my fav color

Gxbbs

Community Member
Reaction score
It started about 12 months ago when I started playing pCars and got the full on sim-racing itch, combine that with my engineering and electronics background and to be perfectly honest it's got a bit our of hand since then. :) I've not posted any pics to date as it always felt like it was unfinished. I think now it's finally at a pretty complete stage, so if your interested I could do a build log post.

I started off with a single Buttkicker Mini LFE mounted under the seat and a piece of software called SimVibe that uses an additional sound card to send vibrations based on the data from the game.

From an immersion perspective it just takes it up a notch, having the thud of the gear box when you change up/down, the shaking that goes through your back when you run it over the rumble strips, and the thud from when you have some contact really adds an extra dimension.

I would definitely recommend this if your looking for a little something extra as a single is not ridiculously expensive. But don't purchase it thinking it will make you a better driver, it's just adding to the immersion factor.

However being the type of person I am my long term objective was to run SimVibe in chassis mode. This is where you have a shaker on each of the corners of the rig and the software recreates the vibrations for each channel independently . From here it starts to get expensive quickly and you face a whole raft of engineering challenges. The butt-kicker mini-lfe's are rated at 250W RMS, so to drive 4 of them you need a 4x250W RMS amp. There are loads of cheap amps around but they struggle to drive the 250W RMS peak these can draw. Here I imported an amp from Germany the thomann t.amp E4-250 to drive them, it's a heavy bit of kit and when running the fans are not silent and you can probably hear them over your headphones, this led to the second challenge of re-locating the amplifier into the attic and then running cables down the wall into the office. This took a bit of work but got there in the end.

Another challenge is the mounting, luckily as my rig is 80/20 aluminium it was reasonably easy to find mounting points on the rig to mount these to. If you don't have something that is easily adapted you may need to be resourceful in finding a mounting solution. also the ButtKicker's are almost 1kg each so adding 4 will add another close to an additional 4kg to the weight of your rig.

Okay so now it's all mounted great, but next you need to think about the vibrations. You need to make sure your rig is isolated from the floor in some way as depending on the floor material it can absorb the vibrations giving a flat feel to the experience and also really *$!* off the other people living with the vibrations going through the rest of the house.

After all I said and done, I don't regret it. I do question if a full chassis setup is worth the money but I wouldn't change it.
Where are the pictures!? I need to see this :D

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Where are the pictures!? I need to see this :D

With it being week 13 I have a bit more time on my hands so I will put something up over the next few days, might have to be in a separate thread as I think I will need to do multiple posts as I belive there is a Limit of 5 pics per post from when I tried to photo bomb last time.

Bassetts

Community Member
Reaction score
Placeholder - # 1

Placeholder - # 2

Placeholder - # 3

Grr it's merging all the placeholders, perhaps i'll create a new thread lol

Put the new thread here

Last edited:

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
upgrade.jpg
My current setup, ignore the cables underneath the desk aha.
I live in a pretty small flat so don't really have the space currently to upgrade to a full wheel setup, but if I did I would convert an old space frame chassis into a full blown simulator... something like this: The University I was at took one of the team's old cars & had it converted into a simulator for marketing & training purposes, handy since the engine destroyed itself. This simulator has 2 buttkickers(one under the seat & the other under the pedals), Fanatec clubsport base V2, Fanatec Formula black wheel, & the Heusinkveld Sim Pedals Ultimate. Shame the pc that came with it struggles to handle both iRacing & pCars.
*Hope this post works as I planned it too, been a long time since I was last active on any kind of forum...

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Hope to be faster from now on :)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread