Split 1/2 - R0: Red Bull Ring - 12th July 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elodyr

Community Member
Reaction score
Had a really silent race after the first lap in race 1 where @steveg200 , @Taorminator and me unknowingly of each other ran 3 wide after turn 3 (all of us thought it was only 2 wide after talking to each other after the race) which took Tao out of the race. Sorry again for that. I should've realized we are going 3-wide and made more room by going to the left. As said after that it was quiet for me and finished P4.

In race 2 I made a stupid mistake at the start. I braked early and realized I was a bit early and then re-engaged it too late, locked it a bit and forced someone wide who also had contact with someone else because of that. I apologize for the mistake and hope the damage wasn't too big :/

After that I had a really great fight with @Taorminator and was able to overtake him while going wheel to wheel through the entire second sector. I made an early pitstop and after a good fight with @Jamesl91 I got taken out in turn 3 which finished my race. Limped to the pits and had nearly 2 minutes of repair. After that I was able to finish 13th after an eventful race.

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I was unable to save the replay but @SBart_uk I can only apologise. I have literally no idea what happened with us. I let you past on the inside and you braked so much later than me so I thought you were already way ahead by the time we got to the apex, then it appeared like there was a lag spike with your car and then i was suddenly in the gravel.

I would be interested to see anybodys clips if they caught it on stream?

EDIT: Found it in the official stream

Last edited:

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this evening. I only had one real mission - to stay out of trouble. Trouble kept wanting to nudge me though. I don't remember too much in the first race other than a couple of friendly taps to the rear wing early on.

Race 2 was the fun stuff, once lap one was over with. Turn 1 required a lot of car avoidance, with cars crashing in front of me, then pulling across me. When I rejoined I was in 23rd? Once all that was over with though, I basically ran a race of trying to keep stable lap times and safe on track, which paid off rather. I think I might have made 1 passing move all race, but by the end had climbed to 5th.

These cars are really fun to drive, if fragile, though dirty air is a pain. It's going to be really interesting to see the improvement as people get used to the car. There are some crazy fast drivers in split 1, it's a great learning opportunity and I'm hoping to learn something from you guys.

Season Objective:
  • No DNFs
  • No Racing Incidents
  • Stretch Goal: Top 16

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
I was unable to save the replay but @SBart_uk I can only apologise. I have literally no idea what happened with us. I let you past on the inside and you braked so much later than me so I thought you were already way ahead by the time we got to the apex, then it appeared like there was a lag spike with your car and then i was suddenly in the gravel.

I would be interested to see anybodys clips if they caught it on stream?

No problem mate not your fault at all. I don't think there's anything anyone could have done...for me all 3 of the cars totally disappeared and then reappeared when I was half way round the corner and in the same space as you when you reappeared.
Here it is from my perspective.
Just one of those really unfortunate events. I think that my net must have been having some issues as I seem to be missing the start of the 2nd race on my stream as well unfortunately.

As for the racing I really enjoyed it. Qually was a bit frustrating and couldn't get a proper clear lap in either session.
In the first race maybe I was running a little to much downforce and was probably a bit too cautious on the first lap causing me to loose a few positions after a good start. I then had a bit of a battle with @t0daY and had to try and catch @Puffpirat after getting past which I seemed to be able to do slowly but got a bit unlucky with where I ended up catching the traffic and then there just wasn't enough laps as well as being a little mistake prone in the first race.

In race 2 I got another great start and had taken some downforce off hoping I could get to T2 in front. I couldn't and got overtaken by @F4H Murphy then we ended up side by side into T3. I knew I was pretty good on the brakes there so decided to try and go round the outside and somehow pulled it off. That then caused Puffy to get past him as well and allowed me to stretch out a nice gap before the pit stop where I put the limiter on way to early and probably lost a couple of seconds. After the pitstop Puffy was closing up gradually but I thought I had enough time to spare to take the win. But then the lag happened and sadly ended both mine and CatchAGlimpses' race.
It was great fun racing these cars with a full grid against some great drivers. Really looking forward to the season opener on Monday! Here is my entire stream in 2 parts as I think the stream cut out at some point.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Last edited:

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
First race wasn‘t too bad, but somehow i misread the lap count and pitted in the last lap for fuel :banghead:
The feature race was over before the start line for me. I was in the middle of a carnage that wasn‘t my fault. I tried to drive to pits, but it would have taken 3-5 mins at least so i gave up.
So I hope some drivers have at least learned something for the start of the next races.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Excellent coverage by @The Wayfaerer and @King-Kodiak. Here and there some little things like balance between you two were a bit off.

But damn, i watched the whole 2 hour stream, was awake until 2:30.

Again, excellent job and I am looking forward to monday :)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
That was a nice season kick-off, great to see the car is good for close racing!

Much to learn from race two, my pit stop was as good as it gets but my strategy with the fuel was obviously wrong.

Shame about your incident @SBart_uk I was looking forward to a battle in the last laps :)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Good thing we had this Round 0. This was my first race with VR, which is a huge difference compared to racing with a 23.8 inch single screen. So I definitely can use some practice on my road to becoming an :stig: in about 2 years time... if not already too old for becoming that at age 54 :bored:..

I went home early from work so I would have 2 hours time to prepare myself and do some practice as well. But got stuck in a huge traffic jam so only had 1 hour for preparation and dinner… which got me quite stressed.

For TeamSpeak I had to change from Oculus Rift headphone to my own headphone + microphone. Followed the Oculus straight forward instructions, removing the Rift headphones from the headset and changed the Oculus in-app sound settings to Windows Standard… but that didn’t work, ###-up my TeamSpeak settings in the meantime trying to get the sound to work. Finally found out that I also had to change the sound settings (speakers and mic) in Windows 10 app settings for the Oculus app, changing it from Standard to my headset.

Had to adjust setup for qualifying and races… got confused by the tyre settings… slick or comp… why not ‘hard slick’ vs ‘soft slick’? :wideyed:. What is comp?.. maybe something for a PCARS2 update so we can select a A,B,C, D compound? Changed brake duct settings, fuel and radiator for race1 and 2. Set up pit strategy for race 1 (repair only) and race 2 (repair only + change all 4 tyres).

So in the end I had no time to do some practice and get into my flow before the start of qualifying and race.

Race 1

Was a bit stressed and couldn’t focus so qualified last. Did a steady 1:18-ish in practice earlier this week but couldn’t even get close to that. In the race I went from 31st to 20th position in the end so it wasn’t that bad after all.

Noticed during the race that I missed the ‘relative times’ box in my HUD. So I could only see who were in position 1 to 3 and those who were one position ahead and one position behind of me.

Race 2

Qualifying seemed to go ok, but during my one fast lap (1:18-ish) I was crashed out by a lagging car, had to pit and start all over again… again at the back of the grid but not qualifying last this time.

Unfortunately trying to find an option to adjust my HUD and get the ‘relative times’ box back… in the short time before race start I forgot to change my car setup from quali to race2 :banghead:

All went ok at the start, avoided the collision in front of me… but I think a car bouncing back hit me and I had to pit. Went back into the race… waiting for the car to die with radiator on 0%...

Missing the ‘relative times’ box, I had no clue who was in front of me…or even worse…who was coming up behind me… a much faster driver that will show up pretty quick.. or an equal driver who might close in slowly over the next couple of laps? Luckily the car helped me out of this situation… the engine died. Followed the rest of the race on my tablet, watching @The Wayfaerer and @King-Kodiak 's broadcast. Great entertainment, felt like the old BBC F1 days. Watching the stream back, being mentioned by the commentators made me feel like a professional... ok, it was about my damage in the first lap and my pitting... but it did make me feel very special :D

Backmarkers: I heard the discussion on backmarkers, think @UnstopaPaul started it, and I think we should change the rules somehow. At one point I did leave track to make room for the faster cars…but for a reason.

I got a call on the straight to ‘Remus’ which went a bit like this. “Breeze can I pass on the next straight” for me that is “Breeze (you got my attention) can I pass (I get distracted while focussing on braking and apex, check my mirrors and decide to leave track because I might spin in Remus causing a collision which I want to avoid because I know my car won’t last long with radiator 0% and it’s useless ####-up someone’s race) on the next straight?”

My suggestion:

- call the backmarker but keep it short so the backmarker won’t get confused or distracted
- suggestion for call: ‘name driver’ + ‘fast car(s) approaching’ (or in short: ‘name driver’ + ‘fast car’)
- this will give the backmarker time to respond (check mirrors, HUD, et cetera)
- the backmarker might respond with ‘name driver (if aware of the name)’ + ‘pass me on the left/right’

Hope to have some time this weekend to get to know the car better, learn the track for next race..... and setup everything right for the next race.

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Great fun for the pre season race even if I suffered from damage in both races :)

Race 1 ended on lap 1 for me when my front suspension broke when we were 3 wide with @steveg200 and @Elodyr into turn 5. Not blaming anyone here the situation was dangerous and @steveg200 didn't touch me from his POV as you can see here :

Looks like a netcode issue here and I'm confident we would have made it trough the turn undamaged without that as the 3 of us sticked well to their line. Risky but very thrilling for me, if there were no issue it could have been featured in the move of the month :p had to retire in the end (I won't mention the boss divebombing me <3 :p)

Race 2 went much better, I had a same side by side battle with @Elodyr in lap 1 (2 wide this time :p) which was great! Thank you for that good moment of racing! :)
Unfortunately I got pushed of track the next turn by @Nada (please buddy try to wait for the person next time it happens ;) ) and suffered suspension damage but manageable. I damaged my wing later as a consequence of a pile up so I decided to pit early to repair the aero only and go for the undercut. Had some good battles with @Darksi @Thomas Sikora @Gosku and I'm so glad that move on @CatchAGlimpse got caught in the commentary stream :

EDIT : could someone tell me how to point to 1:38:10 in the YT video?

I did a dummy move to pressure him into a mistake and he overshot his braking point :D great stuff and I think this battle could have continued on for some time if you had not been taken out shortly after :(
I collected the position from the people in front who were involved in drama and luckily finished P4 :)

This cars are much greater fun than I expected! Even more gutted that I'll miss the Nurburgring :/ see you in Brno!

Last edited:

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Good thing we had this Round 0. This was my first race with VR, which is a huge difference compared to racing with a 23.8 inch single screen. So I definitely can use some practice on my road to becoming an :stig: in about 2 years time... if not already too old for becoming that at age 54 :bored:..
Isn't it amazing? :) Welcome to the "real" world. If you want to ask any questions about VR setup, feel free, I'll do my best. sounds like you've got through the worst of it now though.

My suggestion:
- call the backmarker but keep it short so the backmarker won’t get confused or distracted
- suggestion for call: ‘name driver’ + ‘fast car(s) approaching’ (or in short: ‘name driver’ + ‘fast car’)
- this will give the backmarker time to respond (check mirrors, HUD, et cetera)
- the backmarker might respond with ‘name driver (if aware of the name)’ + ‘pass me on the left/right’

Hope to have some time this weekend to get to know the car better, learn the track for next race..... and setup everything right for the next race.

I've always preferred an approach where I give a "heads up" a few seconds back, giving the backmarker a chance to do things on their own terms. Sadly, being distracted by the request is the same as seeing the car in your mirror, pressure we all need to adapt to and make "normal" enough that we don't panic. I suffer from the same (I'm significantly more likely to crash with a car in the mirror). The only solution is practice. Get a pal and get them to hound you round a track with a faster car asking you questions as you drive. That'll sort it ;)

Interestingly I don't think I've been giving that heads up as often recently. Getting used to a new car is probably taking more mental focus (I was very comfortable with the Ford GTE by the end of Season 4). Possibly its also because I'm the one being lapped again! I need to get used to that side of the equation this season for sure.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Regarding the conversation about the pit entrance, I checked nearly everyone and no one took advantage. Everyone slowed down at the red cones with the 60kph sign.

@F4H Murphy @Puffpirat @Diluvian

F4H Murphy

Community Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Must be a setting of some sort wrong, but I’m sure they were all right.

No biggy. This is what preseasons are for

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Btw, my suggestion for the next races on quali would be to use the usual 'Light ON on hot laps'.
This would enable the red light on the back of the car that at least, would help the cars behind to understand if someone was on a hotlap or not and avoid yet another 'can i pass' in TS (if it was up to me i would race muted on TS, but that is against the rules :D)

Nada

Community Member
Reaction score
Race 2 went much better, I had a same side by side battle with @Elodyr in lap 1 (2 wide this time :p) which was great! Thank you for that good moment of racing! :)
Unfortunately I got pushed of track the next turn by @Nada (please buddy try to wait for the person next time it happens ;) ) and suffered suspension damage but manageable.

Sorry i was pushed of track by someone in race 2 and i don't remember pushing any driver.
Have you some video?

kaleeb42

Community Member
Reaction score
Not a great start to the season for me but it's only the pre-season so there's definitely room for improvement.

Qualifying was bad for both races. So much traffic, I couldn't get a good lap and I was nervous just trying to stay out of people's way while trying to warm up brakes and tires. I think that will get better with longer tracks and fewer people in the lobby for the full season.

Race 1, I was involved in an incident on the straight down to turn 2. I believe I came over slightly towards @Sonic and our wheels tangled and he got sent flying. I didn't realize how much of a better exit he got from turn 1 and he had overspeed. I steered slightly to the right towards the racing line expecting him to do the same and all went bad. Sorry @Sonic. I should have had better awareness. So I think I ruined his race and mine right off.

I lost a lot of time getting to the pits and repairs took over a minute so I was 3 laps down. Kept going and had an okay run with no more incidents.

Race 2, I avoided the carnage at turn 1 and turn 2. Ended up following the battle for 11th for several laps and avoided another incident in turn 2. I eventually overtook @Darksi after he made a slight mistake. I also think he had front wing damage. Had another incident a few laps later and it was all downhill from there. Ended up having to retire.

Looking forward to the season and hoping I can avoid silly incidents.

Last edited:

Taorminator

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sorry i was pushed of track by someone in race 2 and i don't remember pushing any driver.
Have you some video?
It happened in race 2 lap 1, second to last corner. I am on holiday now so I don't have access to my pc anymore, maybe it's visible in the stream? Anyway don't worry it's not important I just wanted to remind you it happened and to be more careful next time ;) no hard feelings ;)

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What is this?? :snaphappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread