Split 1 - R1: Nürburgring - 16th July 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Race 1:
Slight touch in T1 because people on the outside wanted to hit an apex. Still managed to drag in a top10 result with front damage.

Race 2:
Horrible Q placed me in P20. After lap 2 I was already scratching the top10 again. Slowly walking away from @drukqs and just when @t0daY was behind me my DRS enabled itself in the Schumacher S and you can imagine what happened. I pitted, made sure I selected slicks and repaired damage. I got out of the pit and it gave me 1.80 starting pressures with Hard compound.

Absolutely stunned how this was even possible.

The Wayfaerer

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
stream will be available here after YT finished processing (which might take some time)
unfortunately some problems in the last few laps, made the cars driving quite strange
but once again i had a lot of fun commentating on the race although it was a bit awkward sometimes being alone all the time ^^

Diluvian

Community Member
Reaction score
Yay, stalled my engine in feature race during pitstop and then restaret with 2nd gear :D ... lost P2 during that. But in the end, nice race.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
My races summed up in two clips :D

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Disaster for team "Gimme Steering Wheel". Finished both races in P16 I believe. Second qualifying I could put my lovely red car into position 2 but ended in a racing incident after turn 1.

Will post my pov later, need a beer first. All eyes on Brno :dead:

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Enjoyed both the experiences....as usual i did few overtaking and just tried to be consistently inside the track.
Happy with my qualis as they were were i expected them and both were apart just a few centesimals.

1st race had a problem with @t0daY ...i'm sorry m8...i'm not a professional driver, on that situation and with Stu on my right taking the inside line (the car in front of us not spinning) i just saw @UnstopaPaul car very close to him, and my reaction was to break...getting to the left in the sand trap would unsettle my car a lot and i could risk a big crash. Anyway, maybe i could have done better, but on the heat of the race that was my instinct:

Anyway i finished P15.

Second race. Was very clean for me...not a good start but avoided all the crashes and debries flying around. At a certain point in time i was P7 which was absolutely terrific for me. Got myself overtaken by two or 3 cars including my teammate @Cluck , and we 2 interesting fights going into turn 1 :D

Finished P12 just behind my teammate. Overall some very important points for KFC racing.

See you in 2 weeks at Brno :D

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Oof, who needs exercise? My adrenaline is slowly fading now, and my heart rate is just about back to normal. A solid 1st race, with a great battle with @miagi, and a not so solid 2nd race with a fightback from a pair of spins. Timestamps below...

Race 1:
10:06 - Qualifying Hot Lap (P16)
16:00 - Race 1 Start
16:45 - Bamboozled by KFC Racing @Cluck @drukqs
19:40 - Pass for P12 @drukqs
20:45 - Mistake and avoidance, keep P12
22:40 - Pass for P11 @Dutchtastic
24:05 - Pass for P10 @CatchAGlimpse
30:50 - Battle for P8 (to end) @miagi

Race 2:
55:50 - Qualifying hot Lap (P12)
1:01:10 - Race 2 Start (Very lucky to survive unscathed, pretty much an incident on every corner. Ended up P15 at the end of the lap).
1:09:00 - Mistake leads to spin and damage.
1:10:05 - Early pitstop
1:17:00 - Spin, clumsily double hit DRS button, no damage. Start of charge! Lots of good laps smashed away.
1:35:10 - Pass for P15 @Stokemon
1:39:30 - Pass for P14 @CatchAGlimpse
1:41:30 - Final lap, battle for P13 @Ashnoom
1:42:20 - Caught out by @Ashnoom's slower than normal entry to Schumacher S, front wing damage and lost 1 place.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I had done zero practice for this event (other than some laps late on Tuesday night in time-trial) so I took the only setup I'd tried - default loose - and just adjusted the fuel for safety.

The less said about race 1 the better. By turn 2 I knew something wasn't right and I gave up before I even made it to the hairpin. The car had zero grip at the rear, it was like driving with DRS engaged. I had zero confidence in the car so I retired before I caused an accident.

Race 2, well, the video below covers every moment of interest of the 24 laps.

First clip is the start and my lack of racing for over a month shows at T1 as I brake too late for the traffic ahead of me and dive to the left to avoid any potential collision, rejoining at the back of the pack.

Second clip shows the gaggle of cars ahead of me, heading into the hairpin. I take the inside line and make up a few places and then the back end of the car decides it's had enough of looking one way and wants to trade places with the view the front end of the car has. I can only presume it's the kerbs on the right but I really don't know. DRS was shut, the back just went.

Next clip is Ashnoom and somebody else running wide on the start of the back straight, losing lots of time and allowing me to catch and pass Ashnoom.

Erm, I think the next clip is me taking position from my teammate. The next clip is me doing that again :D

And across the line.

I'll be honest, after the disaster of the first race I was in no mood for doing the feature race. I'm glad I did but also wish I hadn't. You could have cooked an egg on my face by the end of the race. This heat + Oculus Rift is not fun.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
@Battenberg that looks painful :-( I felt nothing to be honest.

The countdown timer was right over my right mirror, so while telling that I was trying to to do multiple things at the same time.
- figuring out DRS
- using the look behind
- tracking g you
- staying on track
- shifting in time

My DRS and LookBack buttons are mapped to the same thumb. I failed the LookBack action and while doing so pressed DRS multiple times. In the heat of the moment I had to make sure that DRS was disabled while entering that combination. Which resulted in the most stupid thing to ever do. I very, very, very shortly had to tap the break to make sure DRS was disabled. Because I couldn't look at the bottom of the telemetry while still trying to figure out where you were. (The in-game arrows were pointing to somewhere on my right) and taking the corner.

I am very sorry about that :-( and even ashamed by that ridiculous action by me.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
OH YES! What an awesome event. Great fun to drive that thing even with all that sweating :D tire temps wasn't a problem and I had some good racing too! Great decision and fantastic organisation! I'm very happy that I could join this race, thank you very much!

My races also went very good. Quali not so much didn't get my pace down, however starts were good and P8 and P6 is easily optimum result for my pace.

Highlights Sprint Race:
At the start of the race I was bumed into in T1 and thought *come one man/guys* just keep watching the video. When I saw how the bump happened I had to laugh, it rather a funny bump ^^; Poor Iceman.
2:15 - Small incident ahead I get another bump, not sure if the car was skiddish because of the 13 or so Aero damage on the rear or if the car is just very sensitive to different conditions...
2:25 - Massive Drift as proof for skiddyness.
4:10 Overtaking like I know it works out ^^
4:20 Cut to Battleberg. Was nice fighting, you were chatching up as I was managing the rear in corner. The decision was made at 7:20 when I was really close to losing the whole thing xD

Highlights Feature Race
Had a rather poor Quali but start went good and result was awesome.
Starting at 0:45, Sorry to Battenberg for scaring you off track. In the left-right I back off a little bit as the cars in front of me seem like they are up to something, then I think the move on me by someone else in the right turn, was unnecessary. I tried not to spin or to get any control and then the car bounced back on track. The moment I had control over it again I was on the left side of the track.
That started the battle with Nighttiger right away @1:39 I trick Nighttiger into a little mistake, I'm such a little trickster hehe.
Starting at about 5:00 Application for overtake of the race: Lap 6 for Position 7 - T1 outside :happy: and smug face for the rest of the race
9:00 Overtake on Elodyr also not that bad ^^

Was really cool to race with you guys

Last edited:

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
@drukqs Love that screenshot of me heading towards @UnstopaPaul sideways! That was a very scary moment.

Overall it was a pretty disastrous couple of races to start the season for me. Qually went ok in the sprint race and I got a good start to take the lead and managed to pull a small gap but by the time we got to the corner after the Schumacher S my car just spun, I don't think I'd ever spun there before and still cant explain why it happened after watching the race back...very strange. I thought that was my race ruined with only 11 laps to go. But I managed to fight my way back though the field pretty quickly and rescue a 6th place from being in 19th as well as grabbing the fastest lap.

I couldn't put in a decent lap in race 2 and only managed to qualify 4th but got another great start and it looked like I might take the lead again in T1 but as I tried to get round the corner @t0daY was trying the undercut and we made a slight bit of contact which gave me 4 rear wing damage. I ended up in 3rd by the time it all sorted out and was just managing to hang on to the front 2 in @ProjectPD 's slipstream. The wing was causing me a fair amount of rear sliding/instability and I was gradually loosing touch with ProjectPD, making lots of small mistakes as @Diluvian was closing in pretty quickly as well. It was very tough to hold him off and he eventually got by (sorry if it was a bit scary behind...it was incredible how much a tiny bit of damage changed the car). Once Diluvian had got clear of me and I was in clean air I could see I was around 2 secs off the pace I should be doing so decided to pit early. After the pit stop I was back up to pace and did my fastest lap of the race with 65L in the tank as pretty quickly the dreaded Overcast weather started to kill my FPS and therefore any pace I had. I had another great but terrifying battle with Diluvian after he exited the pits just behind me a bit later on but this time it was low fps causing my difficulties and again he got past eventually and I had to settle for 4th.

Hoping for a much better outing at the next few races...and please can we avoid Overcast weather for the rest of the season :D

Heres my stream:

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
got to the corner after the Schumacher S my car just spun, I don't think I'd ever spun there before and still cant explain why it happened after watching the race back...very strange.
Join the "my car spun and I can't explain why" club. See my spin just before the Schumacher S - what's interesting is that the speedo thing in my case show's that there's a very slight application of brake pressure, something I wouldn't have done myself, there's no need to brake there whatsoever. It's very weird indeed and I can only say that you can take some consolation from knowing it's not just you that had it.

Diluvian

Community Member
Reaction score
In the end this was the definite proof that something weird is different to p2p / offline sessions and the dedicated servers. We've been so much slower all the time. Car felt completely different (though I'm telling that since a long time :troll:)

[e] btw nice stream @The Wayfaerer :) and thanks for so much screentime :D

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Well, this pic says everything about race 1. I'm sorry to the guys who had to fly past this, and to @Stokemon who was unfortunate enough to not avoid me. Sadly my brain rather froze as I wanted to articulate where I was on track. I think I'll need to learn names for all parts of the track for future races. I was rather punished for being unable to alert people though, 100% damage to both rear suspension and a lost front wing. 2 minutes in the pits left me running 19th and null points. A shame as my qualifying was not too bad - I think qualifying 12th was pretty respectable with such a strong field, a shame not to do it justice.

Race 2 was rather better though. A weaker qualifying left me 14th on the grid, but a much more steady race this time (perhaps less nerves/adrenaline) allowed me to get the head down and put in the laps. I ended up pitting rather early due to a little damage and being fairly boxed in between 2 racing hard in front and pressure from behind. Fortunately it didn't put me too far behind, and a fairly uneventful remaining race allowed me to come 10th. I'm really happy with this as a result, it's a bit above my expectations, just sad that its not backed up with some points from race one.

Here's my point of view. If you want to see my spin and the lead up, skip to 28:44

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
one thing i did not knew was that running half fuel and taking fuel on the pit stop was actually faster than running full fuel

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@UnstopaPaul sorry mate, I could have done a lot better there!

Was struggling with the car throughout and that left little brain space for avoiding silly things like that lol.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
one thing i did not knew was that running half fuel and taking fuel on the pit stop was actually faster than running full fuel
Did you not hear that at the 'Prolog' event at Red Bull Ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread