Split 1 - R2: Brno - 30th July 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
i've run some 12 race laps against AI of light rain and rain conditions.

As a disclaimer i am expecting to be down the grid, around last place. I'm not fast in the rain, i probably dont know how to setup my car for the rain. My findings:

1. It's tricky to setup aero a bit less downforce in the rear and its oversteer all over the place. A bit more and the car understeer on certain corners. I had to compensate a lot on ARB and suspension settings to make sure the car feels balanced.

2. Race starts will be very dangerous....i'm not sure if everyone wil test starts but because i would rather not see crashes, PLS test your race starts beforehand as it's a bit different than usual: medium throttle at start, short shifting until 3rd or 4th gear and yeah thats i hope to do it.

3. It's kinda stupid the wet tyres start by default overheated. I know they get back into temp after a few corners (before going up again) but nonetheless...

4. I have more trouble on the light rain than proper rain. Simply because the tyres will overheat more easily.

5. This will be more of a who can manage tyres better than raw speed in my opinion. Running at 100% pace will destroy your tyres and overheat tyres quickly and thats worse in the long run. Also, one single spin, even if no dmg is done to the car will be heavily punsihed as the tyres will overheat a lot and lose 4 or 5%.

6. Overall i think it will be an interesting event and i'm expecting some surprises :).

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
i've run some 12 race laps against AI of light rain and rain conditions.

As a disclaimer i am expecting to be down the grid, around last place. I'm not fast in the rain, i probably dont know how to setup my car for the rain. My findings:

1. It's tricky to setup aero a bit less downforce in the rear and its oversteer all over the place. A bit more and the car understeer on certain corners. I had to compensate a lot on ARB and suspension settings to make sure the car feels balanced.

2. Race starts will be very dangerous....i'm not sure if everyone wil test starts but because i would rather not see crashes, PLS test your race starts beforehand as it's a bit different than usual: medium throttle at start, short shifting until 3rd or 4th gear and yeah thats i hope to do it.

3. It's kinda stupid the wet tyres start by default overheated. I know they get back into temp after a few corners (before going up again) but nonetheless...

4. I have more trouble on the light rain than proper rain. Simply because the tyres will overheat more easily.

5. This will be more of a who can manage tyres better than raw speed in my opinion. Running at 100% pace will destroy your tyres and overheat tyres quickly and thats worse in the long run. Also, one single spin, even if no dmg is done to the car will be heavily punsihed as the tyres will overheat a lot and lose 4 or 5%.

6. Overall i think it will be an interesting event and i'm expecting some surprises :).
Slow (= less stops) = Fast ;)

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
thanks my plan....but shhhh :D
Pushing it and stoping twice is 1:52.0 consistent pace at worst. So going slow and stoping once may not be slower than consistent 1:53.0

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
I cannot compete in the Cup tonight, my Rim and base are away for repairs and I'd hoped they'd show up today but sadly it appears they will arrive back tomorrow. Kinda hard and unpredictable driving with keyboard tonight so I'll pass.

SBart_uk

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to make it tonight either.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I can't race tonight.. After 2 weeks of constantly renovating my flat and moving all the computer stuff I just finished the rework of my "chair brake". I really hoped to make it to tonights races but jumping in without having raced in more than two weeks is just pointless. I wish everyone good luck, especially my teammate @CatchAGlimpse ;) I'll be back next week :)

https://i.imgur.com/PhabY6O.jpg

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
I can't race tonight.. After 2 weeks of constantly renovating my flat and moving all the computer stuff I just finished the rework of my "chair brake". I really hoped to make it to tonights races but jumping in without having raced in more than two weeks is just pointless. I wish everyone good luck, especially my teammate @CatchAGlimpse ;) I'll be back next week :)

https://i.imgur.com/PhabY6O.jpg
Proper Ghetto Rig :D

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm pulling out tonight. Currently a thunderstorm here and looks like they'll be coming and going all night. Not worth risking my pc. Sorry guys.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
The reason I've said very little on this race is I didn't want to suffer a ban hammer on tyre models. But this race is going to be bad. You can't run a single lap of the sprint race without the tyres overheating...you don't even need to push hard. Tyres disintegrate insanely quickly in the feature race. I expect we moved to early morning/wet to tackle the overheating issues of the slick tyres. I was ready to point at weird tyre models for the FR35, but actually hockenheim was not a problem, and 7 laps of laguna at 58C seemed far more sane. I'm actually wondering if there is something odd with livetrack and this circuit.

I guess at the end of the day everyone has to deal with the same conditions, so that's fine. But for me the fun of preparing was totally killed off for this race, so I'll probably be tagging along at the back.

miagi

Community Member
Reaction score
The reason I've said very little on this race is I didn't want to suffer a ban hammer on tyre models. But this race is going to be bad. You can't run a single lap of the sprint race without the tyres overheating...you don't even need to push hard. Tyres disintegrate insanely quickly in the feature race. I expect we moved to early morning/wet to tackle the overheating issues of the slick tyres. I was ready to point at weird tyre models for the FR35, but actually hockenheim was not a problem, and 7 laps of laguna at 58C seemed far more sane. I'm actually wondering if there is something odd with livetrack and this circuit.

I guess at the end of the day everyone has to deal with the same conditions, so that's fine. But for me the fun of preparing was totally killed off for this race, so I'll probably be tagging along at the back.
Tire heat can be controlled by driving and I can make the sprint race with one set of Wet tires. What I can not do is reduce the tire wear on the Feature race (Rain) to a sensible level by driving. This does not have much to do with tire temps.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Tire heat can be controlled by driving and I can make the sprint race with one set of Wet tires. What I can not do is reduce the tire wear on the Feature race (Rain) to a sensible level by driving. This does not have much to do with tire temps.
weird...I had the problem the other way around...I could manage the wear, but not the temps. (unless I just wanted to stay in the pits )

Dutchtastic

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
You can do 12 laps on the wets, everyone has the same wear and issues with the left front.
It's all about managing the tires by driving and having to let go of pushing for the full race. I hope the main race, features rain as the random slot :D

kaleeb42

Community Member
Reaction score
Welp, I just connected my wheel and pedals and my pedals aren't being recognized. I'll try to get it fixed, but no guarantees. I probably won't be able to race today.

Sorry :(

F4H Murphy

Community Member
Reaction score
Race 1: Q 9th, R 4th
Got a good start and was up to P5 after half a lap. Unfortunately I clipped a cone on lap 4 or 5 which put an end to my pace but held onto P4 in the end.

Race 2: Q 7th, R 3rd
Turn 2 got spun and was stone dead last.
Managed to fight my way back through the field and left it really late for my pitstop, just in case it was possible to switch to slicks, which, as it turns out was the best decision ever!!

Have no idea what the story with my wet setup was. Simply horrific!!! Race 2 I made a few changes which improved it slightly.

If there is a wet race again i'll have to put my thinking cap on lol

Elodyr

Community Member
Reaction score
Had brilliant 2 races finishing P5 in the Sprint and P4 in the Feature race. Also qualified P5 both times which came surprising.

@F4H Murphy it was me who clipped you in T2 in the Feature race, but I can't really see it as more than a racing incident from my side. I was a bit in front before the braking zone and braked a bit more cautious than you which put you in front, but just not enough to turn into the apex which led to the hit. I'm sorry for ruining your win chances for the race, but I'm glad you were able to pull yourself back into P3 in the end :)

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with my pair of P6 finishes. I wasn't expecting to be competitive during practice, so I was very happy my team mate @steveg200 produced a brilliant setup which was easy on the tyres. Race 1 was quiet, and was just an exercise in keeping concentration. Race 2 was much more challenging after starting towards the back in P15. The setup kept my tyres alive enough until the track was ready for slicks. Some good points on the table for Tesco Value Racing, although @steveg200 was unlucky in R2 with more pit mishaps after a great run behind me in R1.

23:55 - Q1 Flying Lap (P8)
29:40 - R1 start. Gained 1 position.
34:30 - Pass for P6.
1:18:00 - Q2 Flying lap (P15)
1:23:25 - R2 Start. Lost & gained 2 places on 1st lap.
1:26:10 - Pass for P14.
1:30:45 - Pass for P13.
1:31:15 - Pass for P12.
1:50:00 - Pitstop to dry tyres.
2:06:36 - Final lap.
2:08:20 - Finished in P6.

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
what can i say...

i'm awful in the rain and probably my setup was awful....and once again just as last season once the track dries out my car is undrivable.

First race was allright.

Second race sorry to the guest driver behind me @Nakor : my car was on the wrong camera for some reason. Had to change and while doing that accidentally used my H shifter to go 4th Gear so the car just stalled.

@miagi if i remembered we were on the last lap, i would shut the door :).

Cya next week!

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with my pair of P6 finishes. I wasn't expecting to be competitive during practice, so I was very happy my team mate @steveg200 produced a brilliant setup which was easy on the tyres. Race 1 was quiet, and was just an exercise in keeping concentration. Race 2 was much more challenging after starting towards the back in P15. The setup kept my tyres alive enough until the track was ready for slicks. Some good points on the table for Tesco Value Racing, although @steveg200 was unlucky in R2 with more pit mishaps after a great run behind me in R1.

23:55 - Q1 Flying Lap (P8)
29:40 - R1 start. Gained 1 position.
34:30 - Pass for P6.
1:18:00 - Q2 Flying lap (P15)
1:23:25 - R2 Start. Lost & gained 2 places on 1st lap.
1:26:10 - Pass for P14.
1:30:45 - Pass for P13.
1:31:15 - Pass for P12.
1:50:00 - Pitstop to dry tyres.
2:06:36 - Final lap.
2:08:20 - Finished in P6.

The pass at 1:31:15 looked terrible. I tried to carry on, but I had rear wing damage from the first lap first corner, got hit from behind. I tried desperately to keep the car on track, but it's basically undrivable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread