Split 1 - R6: Watkins Glen - 27th Mar 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
6 - Watkins Glen Short.png

Car: BAC Mono
Track: Watkins Glen Short
League Agreement: Mandatory Pitstop

Date: Monday, 27th March 2017
17:30 UTC - Optional Practice - 60 minutes
18:30 UTC - Driver Briefing - 15 minutes
18:45 UTC - Qualifying - 15 minutes
19:00 UTC - Race - 1+37 Laps

Ingame Date: 27th September 2017
Ingame Time: 00:00
Time Progression: 1x
Weather Conditions: Clear
Weather Progression: Sync to Race

Driving Aids: Real
Tire Wear Multiplier: Real
Fuel Usage Multiplier: Real

Starting Procedure: Rolling Start, the safety car will lead the field through the formation lap. The speed limit for the safety car will be 50mph / 80kph. We are going to form up in a 2×2 formation at the red marker maintaining our 50mph / 80kph speed. Odd numbers will be on the left side and even numbers on the right side.

Please Notice
Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the Driving Standards of RevolutionSimRacing. As a driver in our league, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the admins and leave a post in this thread before the race takes place in order to give reserve driver a chance to drive.

Confirmed No-Shows

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Results

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
A midnight race, nice! Should be a nice finale :)

Laiders

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Disappointingly I'll be a no show for this race due to work commitments. Shame, really enjoyed the Mono races and this seems like a cracking track for the finale!

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
Has anyone run laps yet?

Did a few tonight, but I'm languishing in the mid-low 1:11s. The chicane/bus stop thingymajig I just can't get right and keep within the white lines. The rest of the lap feels really quick tho.

TT is in the 1:09s, so I expect we'll see laps in the mid-low 1:09s :(

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I only did a few laps in TT and then race conditions, just to see what sort of tyre pressures would be necessary (given the in-game race time). For what it's worth, my few laps in race conditions were marginally (hundredths) faster than my TT times. I'm sure those with a more focussed setup (I didn't change anything from the Silverstone setup, other than tyre pressures) will be doing low 1m09. With traffic in the right place, I reckon we'll see 1m08s times.

As for the bus-stop, I tend to brake hard between the 400 and 300 board and then use the throttle to balance the car through the right, left, left, right.

I'm replaying one of my laps in my head and it goes a little something like this (bearing in mind, this is with Rift FOV, so braking points might be different) :-

Look for the 300 board on the left, for T1. Start braking just before it (if you've had a nice tow, brake earlier still). Drop into 3rd gear and turn in hard. Balance the car on the throttle and don't be too eager to get on the power - you'll end up far over the kerbs and invalidating your lap. Once you feel it's safe, mash the throttle.

For the right/left/right uphill section you want to be in 5th gear. Cut in fairly early for the 'left' part, just trying to avoid catching the kerb on the inside. If you get it right, you can be near-as-dammit flat-out through this section.

Up the back straight, look for the 400 board on the left. Start braking a short while after this but before the 300 board. If you pass the start of the concrete strip in the track, you've probably left it too late and the car will be unbalanced for the initial right turn. Drop it into 3rd or 4th (I think I drop to 3rd but my mind is a little foggy this morning) and get hard on the wheel to bring it back to the left. You're looking to make as straight a line through the exit as possible, so aim for that and get on the power early.

Enter the long sweeping right-hander in 5th and drop to 4th soon after entry - I find this tightens the line up nicely, allowing you to get on the power a little earlier. Go easy on the throttle and be patient, don't try and get too hard on the power too soon, you'll just lose time. The goal is to get on the power just at the right point, to slingshot your way onto the next straight, taking a wide line out to the left - you can afford to use a lot of the kerb, it doesn't unbalance the car or slow you down that much.

For the left-hander at the end, look for the 200 board on the left and use that to start braking. Don't get too hard on the brakes, just scrub some of the speed off, enough to drop into 4th and turn in hard. Get on the power when you're ready but not too early or, guess what, you'll run out wide to the right. The kerb on the exit is a slippery fellow, so keep your tyres away from it (straddling it should be OK, but watch out as your tyres do make contact).

The final turn, for me, is best taken in 3rd gear. Turn in early and get hard on the power.

And across the line.

Or something like that. I'll watch my replay later and adjust these notes if required - as I say, these are from memory. Don't ask me for speeds to approach corners at because, I never know what speed I'm doing!

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I only did a few laps in TT and then race conditions, just to see what sort of tyre pressures would be necessary (given the in-game race time). For what it's worth, my few laps in race conditions were marginally (hundredths) faster than my TT times. I'm sure those with a more focussed setup (I didn't change anything from the Silverstone setup, other than tyre pressures) will be doing low 1m09. With traffic in the right place, I reckon we'll see 1m08s times.

As for the bus-stop, I tend to brake hard between the 400 and 300 board and then use the throttle to balance the car through the right, left, left, right.

I'm replaying one of my laps in my head and it goes a little something like this (bearing in mind, this is with Rift FOV, so braking points might be different) :-

Look for the 300 board on the left, for T1. Start braking just before it (if you've had a nice tow, brake earlier still). Drop into 3rd gear and turn in hard. Balance the car on the throttle and don't be too eager to get on the power - you'll end up far over the kerbs and invalidating your lap. Once you feel it's safe, mash the throttle.

For the right/left/right uphill section you want to be in 5th gear. Cut in fairly early for the 'left' part, just trying to avoid catching the kerb on the inside. If you get it right, you can be near-as-dammit flat-out through this section.

Up the back straight, look for the 400 board on the left. Start braking a short while after this but before the 300 board. If you pass the start of the concrete strip in the track, you've probably left it too late and the car will be unbalanced for the initial right turn. Drop it into 3rd or 4th (I think I drop to 3rd but my mind is a little foggy this morning) and get hard on the wheel to bring it back to the left. You're looking to make as straight a line through the exit as possible, so aim for that and get on the power early.

Enter the long sweeping right-hander in 5th and drop to 4th soon after entry - I find this tightens the line up nicely, allowing you to get on the power a little earlier. Go easy on the throttle and be patient, don't try and get too hard on the power too soon, you'll just lose time. The goal is to get on the power just at the right point, to slingshot your way onto the next straight, taking a wide line out to the left - you can afford to use a lot of the kerb, it doesn't unbalance the car or slow you down that much.

For the left-hander at the end, look for the 200 board on the left and use that to start braking. Don't get too hard on the brakes, just scrub some of the speed off, enough to drop into 4th and turn in hard. Get on the power when you're ready but not too early or, guess what, you'll run out wide to the right. The kerb on the exit is a slippery fellow, so keep your tyres away from it (straddling it should be OK, but watch out as your tyres do make contact).

The final turn, for me, is best taken in 3rd gear. Turn in early and get hard on the power.

And across the line.

Or something like that. I'll watch my replay later and adjust these notes if required - as I say, these are from memory. Don't ask me for speeds to approach corners at because, I never know what speed I'm doing!
Any chance of a vid lol and you tire pressures pretty please..

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cluck. Seems like you have a better memory than I with remembering your laps. Don't think I'm doing anything radically different than you, but hey the times speak for themselves.

Out of interest, is your gearing set so you rev out in 6th down the long straight? I've tried both that and a click up, but I'm consistently slower when I have rev headroom.

My setup is practically the same as my dry setup for Silverstone, barring the pressures they are around high 1:28 and low 1:30 depending on the side. After about 4 laps, I'm sat around 92-98 deg over all 4 tyres.

Last edited:

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it looks like I'll be missing this last round because of work. Who do I need to pay to make sure Kman & South Africa don't beat Australia?

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Unfortunately it looks like I'll be missing this last round because of work. Who do I need to pay to make sure Kman & South Africa don't beat Australia?

I'll make certain it looks like 'an accident' :)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Here's the setup I'm currently using. In time trial, it's giving me stable 1m09.3 laptimes, with occasional dips into 1m09.2. In race conditions, times are pretty much the same :)

All the setup screens in one image

Setup Overview

And yes, it's a mess of a setup but, somehow, it just works for my style of driving :)

Pete Morrish

Community Member
Reaction score
You Split One people are fast. I've done more practice than usual for this race, and I can't better mid-1.11s.

Cluck's lap outline is very similar to mine in terms of turn-ins / gears / etc... except I'm a couple of seconds slower. Curses.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately something has come up and I won't be able to race tonight, not that I would be missed anyway :)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Unfortunately something has come up and I won't be able to race tonight, not that I would be missed anyway :)
Ahh mate who am i gunna have a battle not to finish last now.(altho you allways beat me as i bin it lol) with these aliens im lost..

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the change of car :p

MikeyTT

Community Member
Reaction score
You Split One people are fast. I've done more practice than usual for this race, and I can't better mid-1.11s.

Cluck's lap outline is very similar to mine in terms of turn-ins / gears / etc... except I'm a couple of seconds slower. Curses.
Some split 1 people are fast ;)

I'm struggling in the low 1:11s, so a bogey track for me I think. Eagerly awaiting some track time with others to see if I can get that elusive 2 seconds I think I'll need :)

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I finished a race \o/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread