Split 1 - R7: Dubai - 17th September 2018 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
round-7-banner-3.jpg

Car:
Formula Renault 3.5
Track: Dubai GP
League Agreement: Mandatory Pitstop for the Feature Race

Date: Monday, 17th September 2018
17:30 UTC - Optional Practice
18:30 UTC - Driver Briefing (Mandatory)
18:40 UTC - Qualifying
18:50 UTC - Sprint Race
19:20 UTC - Qualifying
19:50 UTC - Feature Race

General
In-game Date:
Time Progression:
Weather Progression:

Qualifying
Duration:
Start Time:
Weather Forecast:

Race
Duration:
Start Time:
Weather Forecast:

Sprint
17th September 2018
Real Time
Sync to Race

10 mins
08:00
Hazy

14 Laps
09:00
Medium Cloud

Feature
17th September 2018
Real Time
Sync to Race

10 mins
16:00
Clear

27 Laps
17:00
Light Cloud > Heavy Cloud

Starting Procedure: Standing Start, when the in-game lights turn green the race starts - stay alert and look out for slow starters.

Please Notice
Before you take to the track in the league race, make sure you are fully aware of the Driving Standards of RevolutionSimRacing. As a driver in our league, you are required to do your very best to ensure clean and fair racing at all times.

If you are unable to attend the race, please inform the admins and leave a post in this thread before the race takes place in order to give reserve driver a chance to drive.

Confirmed No-Shows
@Col_McCoy
@drukqs

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused about the date this race is running. It used to say the 10th of september and for that date I practiced, and the date for split 2 is still the 10th. But now the racedate is the 17th here?

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I shouldn’t have deleted my post but I pointed out this was a typo.

Also the number of laps where wrong and changed. It where the values of Indy...

Col_McCoy

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Didn't post it here yet, but mentioned it before... won't be there as I'm on vacation. Enjoy and once again sorry for my absence this season, just didn't work out this time

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Guys, unfortunately i will be a no show today.

I still do not have Internet connection at my new home and i'm not expecting this to be fixed for the next few weeks...

That's UK internet for you.

In Portugal i would have a service installed in 2 or 3 days...here it's almost a month since the day when the installation was planned.

Nighttiger

Community Member
Reaction score
I hope we have a big field tonight! Would be nice for the last round of this season.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Let's go racing boys! Shake yourself and give this dirty-air-lover one last try :)

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
i'm sorry if my lag at the start of the sprint race cost anyone anything. my wife forgot that i needed a good connection... :confused:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I am absolutely speechless at the sportsmanship shown by @ProjectPD tonight in race 1. You deserve a massive pat on the back and a LOT of credit for retiring and taking the fight to the final race. You sir are an absolute gent and I salute you.

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
2 of the most entertaining races I've had!

Race 1: battling @JetPistol at the start until he found some grip and got away from me. Then gave it my all at the end to hold @steveg200 behind. Think I managed it for 5 laps, lost out on the last lap... Gutted.

Race 2: almost ran into someone (sorry I didn't get who) early doors as they lost it infront of me. Had to come to a standstill to avoid contact. Then after my stop @UnstopaPaul came after me. My old teammate has been faster than me all season but I was again determined to hold him behind. A mistake by myself on the second to last corner so I let him through on the last. Then set myself up for the inside into the first corner. Paul showed his guts as he held it outside in a stella move.

Excellent clean fair racing from everyone throughout. And @ProjectPD showed how this is a great place to race.

Well done all. On to the next one.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Hat of @ProjectPD, for being a gentleman and awesome rival. You deserve this title, not only because of your performance this season!

Last edited:

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
i'm sorry if my lag at the start of the sprint race cost anyone anything. my wife forgot that i needed a good connection... :confused:
Women..... :D

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Well, that was a very interesting ending to an eye opening season.

Qualifying for race 1 was a little disappointing, having done a few 1:36s in practice only getting a 1:37.5 was a little under what was required to compete with the big boys, leaving me in 8th position on the grid. Sadly another poor launch of the start meant a lost place (or 2?), but the "interesting" happenings at the front meant that I gained a couple of places too. As the dust settled I ended up chasing @Elodyr for several laps, but could never quite get the run I wanted on him (great defending). Sadly that allowed @JetPistol to catch right up. I think I probably learned more about "real racing" in the next few laps than most of the rest of the season. Sadly a rather stupid look in the mirror on the last corner meant I missed the braking point and after that it was inevitable that @JetPistol would get past. Final result was 6th, thanks to a very special last lap retirement ;)

Race 2 was all sorts of sub-optimal. Firstly in qualifying SMS saw fit to give me race setup even after 2 reloads of my quali setup in the pits. leaving me sitting in 10th places for the start of the race, a little further back than I think was possible. Then on turn one I was rear ended by @SillySausage. Though I was able to control the shunt and it seemed minor, it still did massive damage to the rear wing and some rear suspension damage. I was rapidly losing places (I think the lap was 10 seconds off pace) So...into the pits at the end of lap 1 :( and last place.

Now, you all know the tyres are under a lot of pressure, but did you know exactly how many laps they last? Well, if you are a bit OTT about your preparation like me you know they last 25 laps (yes, I did a test race where I pitted on lap 2, you mean you didn't? :wacky:). So, game for a challenge I headed out to see if I could make 25 lap tyres last 26. Cue a lot of nursing of tyres and a lot of time to think by myself...

...things got suddenly very interesting when my team mate from last season, @Stokemon , came out of the pits right in front of me. We kept a great battle going for several laps. After my overeager attempt on @Nighttiger last week I elected for a less suicidal approach, and focused on keeping pressure on.More than once I closed to the point where I got slipstream on a straight, but @Stokemon's positioning was stellar. Though I was lapping faster, I still don't think I would have managed to pass it if were not for a small mistake by Stokemon on the last corner. Even then it took a very edgy hold on the outside of turn one to get it done. Definitely my favourite piece of racing all season and I might even submit it for move of the week :) .

Sadly I can't show how my tires looked over the last few laps, as my overlay hides it (and apparently has a small bug in rendering the values compared to the SMS definitions). Suffice to say that you could only see the tiniest sliver of a line on the front left (the tyre was under 50% - the green bar SMS shows you only goes to 50%). Crewchief was screaming at me "I think the tyre's dead mate", but I persevered.

Final result was 9th place, which I consider a good recovery race given starting in 10th and being hit on turn 1. Overall (and having watched the stream back) this was probably my favourite race of the season for close and exciting racing, and a fitting finish to the championship. My final position was 6th, which if you had suggested that to me at the beginning of the season I would have laughed at you. I'm under no illusions that there were some strong racers that did not attend the entire season, and that the result overstates the performance a little, but you can only race the people who turn up, and you don't win many championships (or learn) by doing only a couple of races.

I'll sign of by saying thank you very much to all those who stuck with it, @SBart_uk for helping me setup the car in the first half of the season, the possy of drivers who've provided me with the awesome learning experience (split 1 is quite a step up) and finally thank you so much to the organisers who make all this possible! See you in a few more chilled races sometime soon :)

EDIT: Congrats to @ProjectPD , @Puffpirat and @Elodyr for a well fought championship.

PoV Stream

Last edited:

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, that was a very interesting ending to an eye opening season.

Qualifying for race 1 was a little disappointing, having done a few 1:36s in practice only getting a 1:37.5 was a little under what was required to compete with the big boys, leaving me in 8th position on the grid. Sadly another poor launch of the start meant a lost place (or 2?), but the "interesting" happenings at the front meant that I gained a couple of places too. As the dust settled I ended up chasing @Elodyr for several laps, but could never quite get the run I wanted on him (great defending). Sadly that allowed @JetPistol to catch right up. I think I probably learned more about "real racing" in the next few laps than most of the rest of the season. Sadly a rather stupid look in the mirror on the last corner meant I missed the braking point and after that it was inevitable that @JetPistol would get past. Final result was 6th, thanks to a very special last lap retirement ;)

Race 2 was all sorts of sub-optimal. Firstly in qualifying SMS saw fit to give me race setup even after 2 reloads of my quali setup in the pits. leaving me sitting in 10th places for the start of the race, a little further back than I think was possible. Then on turn one I was rear ended by @SillySausage. Though I was able to control the shunt and it seemed minor, it still did massive damage to the rear wing and some rear suspension damage. I was rapidly losing places (I think the lap was 10 seconds off pace) So...into the pits at the end of lap 1 :( and last place.

Now, you all know the tyres are under a lot of pressure, but did you know exactly how many laps they last? Well, if you are a bit OTT about your preparation like me you know they last 25 laps (yes, I did a test race where I pitted on lap 2, you mean you didn't? :wacky:). So, game for a challenge I headed out to see if I could make 25 lap tyres last 26. Cue a lot of nursing of tyres and a lot of time to think by myself...

...things got suddenly very interesting when my team mate from last season, @Stokemon , came out of the pits right in front of me. We kept a great battle going for several laps. After my overeager attempt on @Nighttiger last week I elected for a less suicidal approach, and focused on keeping pressure on.More than once I closed to the point where I got slipstream on a straight, but @Stokemon's positioning was stellar. Though I was lapping faster, I still don't think I would have managed to pass it if were not for a small mistake by Stokemon on the last corner. Even then it took a very edgy hold on the outside of turn one to get it done. Definitely my favourite piece of racing all season and I might even submit it for move of the week :) .

Sadly I can't show how my tires looked over the last few laps, as my overlay hides it (and apparently has a small bug in rendering the values compared to the SMS definitions). Suffice to say that you could only see the tiniest sliver of a line on the front left (the tyre was under 50% - the green bar SMS shows you only goes to 50%). Crewchief was screaming at me "I think the tyre's dead mate", but I persevered.

Final result was 9th place, which I consider a good recovery race given starting in 10th and being hit on turn 1. Overall (and having watched the stream back) this was probably my favourite race of the season for close and exciting racing, and a fitting finish to the championship. My final position was 6th, which if you had suggested that to me at the beginning of the season I would have laughed at you. I'm under no illusions that there were some strong racers that did not attend the entire season, and that the result overstates the performance a little, but you can only race the people who turn up, and you don't win many championships (or learn) by doing only a couple of races.

I'll sign of by saying thank you very much to all those who stuck with it, @SBart_uk for helping me setup the car in the first half of the season, the possy of drivers who've provided me with the awesome learning experience (split 1 is quite a step up) and finally thank you so much to the organisers who make all this possible! See you in a few more chilled races sometime soon :)

<pov stream to follow>
Sorry if there was contact, on my screen I was a solid 1-2 metres away from you with zero contact. I was unsure if I had lag bumped you but on my screen I was so far away I thought you'd just outbraked yourself.

Elodyr

Community Member
Reaction score
Just want to thank @Puffpirat again for all the help he gave me this season. It was great being able to compete at the top end of the field more than once and I somehow managed to finish 3rd overall by 1 point. As Paul already mentioned it's a bit sad that the results don't reflect how well everyone in the field was doing because people were missing all the time, But even with that I just wanna say I enjoyed this last round in an overall nice season :)

King-Kodiak

Community Member
Reaction score
What a finale. Sorry I couldn't be there for all rounds of the championship but I had a blast with the rounds I was available to commentate on. Gratz to @ProjectPD for taking the title, HUGE respect for retiring from the sprint race to take the championship to the final race. Thank you guys for allowing me to make a nuisane behind the mic for the season, I don't have much time to cover many RSR events in the near future but I will still be around when I can

SillySausage

Community Member
Reaction score
Sorry if there was contact, on my screen I was a solid 1-2 metres away from you with zero contact. I was unsure if I had lag bumped you but on my screen I was so far away I thought you'd just outbraked yourself.
@UnstopaPaul Was just rewatching the replay, this is as close as we got on my screen before you were pushed wide. I either have telekinetic powers I don't know about or it was just pCARS 2 things unfortunately :(:p

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What a finale. Sorry I couldn't be there for all rounds of the championship but I had a blast with the rounds I was available to commentate on. Gratz to @ProjectPD for taking the title, HUGE respect for retiring from the sprint race to take the championship to the final race. Thank you guys for allowing me to make a nuisane behind the mic for the season, I don't have much time to cover many RSR events in the near future but I will still be around when I can
On behalf of all of the staff, our members and everybody that tuned in, I want to say thank you to both yourself and @The Wayfaerer for the thoroughly excellent job you both did in the commentary booth, throughout the season. Our season would have been all the poorer without you two present :)

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
@UnstopaPaul Was just rewatching the replay, this is as close as we got on my screen before you were pushed wide. I either have telekinetic powers I don't know about or it was just pCARS 2 things unfortunately :(:p

:( yah...it looks rather different on my screen alright...definitely a network blip if that's as close as you thought you were. Pretty disappointing that both PCs don't have to agree on whether a collision occurred or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread