Split 2 - R1: Nürburgring - 16th July 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Totally soul destroying last night. Last week the car felt great. This week when I got to Quali and the Race the car felt completely different to what it felt all week in practice. I had turn in oversteer and power oversteer on exit, if I touched the curb on exit the rear would try and come around. I had no grip for cornering, I lost the car 3 times in each race and caused damage to the suspension where I had to pit for repairs, complete waste of time. You spend time creating a setup and practicing for that to happen, I might as well have given up and gone and done something else.

It is due the different track state. Most of us in Split 1 had the same issue, including me. I binned the car after Schumacher S.

For the feature race I went for a more conservitive setup, adjusted the wings a little bit and it was much better in the second race.

Do you also practice race sessions or just in Qualifying?

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I create an online lobby for both quali and race conditions to practice and also create the setups, I adjusted the setup for the different conditions and situations.

So is that the way the server is setup?

Is there a way to prevent this happening in the future?

Knowing my luck I would have made changes to the setup and the conditions would have been ok and my setup would have gone the other way.

Last edited:

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Is there a way to prevent this happening in the future?

This is the question i would also like to take.
My car felt just great on testing, and i tested with exact same conditions as the actual events.

As soon as i was behind another car up to 2 or 3 seconds. It seems like i was driving on ice. With oversteer all over the place.
It was impossible to keep up behind someone, the car simply did not feel right.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
As soon as i was behind another car up to 2 or 3 seconds. It seems like i was driving on ice. With oversteer all over the place.
It was impossible to keep up behind someone, the car simply did not feel right.

This is just dirty air. The more your car relies on aero-downforce, the more pronounced this problem gets. Of course a deeply detailed wind simulation isn't happening in Pcars 2, mostly due to computing power restraints, but the basic effect is there.

In F1, a driver, I think it was Hamilton Bottas, said last year that the drivers already notice the dirty air when they are within a 3 second gap of another car.

Hamilton’s team mate Valtteri Bottas gained the most positions from the start of the race to the end. He said the effect of turbulence coming off other cars has become even stronger.

“You already feel some losses when you are three seconds away,” he said. “Once you get within one second to a few tenths it just ramps up.”
From article: https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/26/f1-drivers-say-overtaking-even-harder-year/

See for more.

Last edited:

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I have to agree with quite a few people here, every practice session leading up to the race I was comfortably within the 1.41s. Qualy came around & I struggled to managed a 1.45s. Car kept wanting to spin out at T1 & the drs was just dangerous at times.

I went extremely conservative into the first race knowing I would likely pick up a few paces from the mistakes of those in front. Went from the back of the grid to p14 within 2 laps. Unfortunately I hit @Dama_The_Crow on lap 9 in the middle of the Schumacher S. I was chasing him up from the hairpin & it was like you suddenly hit the brakes, didn't have enough space to avoid you unfortunately. Managed to pit & bring the car home.

The feature race went a bit better having bolted an extra 4 points of aero onto an already high df setup. Though in t3 on lap 1 @SP1KEGRW closed the door on me when I was already at the apex of the corner. Though I think from the differing lines people were taking he was unable to see me. That left me with some small aero & engine damage but the car felt so much better for it. I waited for @SP1KEGRW to rejoin & let him continue in front but he must have taken more damage as he let me past quite quickly. I was able to get on with the race. Was going quite well until a glitch stopped my heart. Lap 9 crossing the sf line, @eagle suddenly appeared right in front of me on track (think he had just entered his pit box) but yeah, avoiding action & a small spin put me in the wall. A long way round to get fixed. This also made the car slower again so settled in to reach the finish line. A drs issue on lap 17 put me in the wall & gravel again. Would have accepted the results prior to that but just kicking myself because of that final mistake.
Had some good racing & had a hard time defending against a few of you last night. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What level of down force was everyone running? Depending on the level you used this would have a impact on the performance of the car in dirty air. Obviously the lower the down force the faster you go but you also get less downward pressure on the car forcing the tires into the track. that combined with being behind another car would have given you little down force which intern will cause the car to slide and loose grip as well as lock the brakes under heavy braking.

What i would recommend for the future is practice together, running behind another car is a good way to check your cars performance in traffic ,as well as gaining experience in racing you also get the added benefit of track conditions.

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a dirty air issue that I was experiencing, it would do it whether someone was there or not.

benimi

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Fairly uneventful Opening race for me, keeping it out of trouble, avoiding crashes.
Managed to spin once in the first turn, but I only lost a position I would have anyway I think.

Towards the end @Mearcat was trying to chase me down, I have to be so on edge with the lapped traffic, was a nice end. :D

POV:

The Feature race was nearly as much as uneventful as the first one.
Staying alive, keeping out of trouble.
Altho I had one moment with the wall coming out of the last turn while trying to get myself into an overtaking position on @CrisBCros (No I didn't asked you to let me go, I feel bad enough when people do when I don't ask). Damaged my rear wing a bit, but I decided to go though with my tactic. Might not be the best decision, but I think was fine in the end.

POV:

Not bad making up 7 and 5 positions without doing a single proper overtake, ayy?

Where was I? Oh yeah, time to focus on Brno :stig:

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
My initial df setup was 9 front 12 rear, after the disaster that was the first qualifying & race I increased it the 14-17 & managed to find over a second during the race, close to 2s after my contact with spike. Think I had 5% front, 3% rear & 2% engine damage but the car just felt so much more settled & funnily enough, was faster & easier to rev through the corners

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised that League started in the summer time, I thought, like last year, we will have break, so I did't touch the Wheel since Monaco race. I didn't do any training, just 2-3 laps for TT time for Splits and that was it.
I drove default setup, with only fuel corrected and slick tyres and car felt good.
First hot lap of qually was 4.5 sec off first place, but within next 3 laps I managed to come to 2 sec off and I was pleased.
First race my starting position was 14th (I think) and after 3-4 corners I came to 4th place and hold it until 7th or 8th lap (can't remember correctly) when @Invincible launched me into space by tapping my rear in Advan-Bogen after we dodged rejoining car after Warsteiner Kurve. Nevermind, it was a great battle :)
After that my car was damaged but I naively thought that I can continue 3-4 more laps without going to pits, and that was mistake, I was so slow that people thought I was braking too much (@FuBii ) :)

Race 2 was a better qually-wise, but worst in start, so I didn't catch any better place in first lap.

All in all it was fun.

I thought to skip this season and would but Formula Renault was too big enjoyment to be passed. I am going now on vacation, so I am not sure will I be able to drive next two races... Certainly I will announce it in time for reserve drivers to maybe join.

I will be preparing myself for autumn and season 6 :)

P.S.
My headset was broke so I bought new Hi Fi headphones without mic, and ordered mic-mode on ebay, so until it come, I am mute.

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
@Dama_The_Crow Yeah, it was a great battle until said incident in lap 8.
I reviewed the replay, and it has to be called a racing incident. You were faster after I had to dodge @The Breeze and tried to overtake me. You pulled slightly to the right, I was pulled slightly to the left due to the right-hand kink and so we found each other. ;)

@The Breeze - I won't file a steward's report, but please be more cautious in future when rejoining the track as the aftermath did cost both me and @Dama_The_Crow several places.

Race 2 went much better for me. Qualified P7 and gained several places and finished P3 in the end. Really happy with that outcome. :D

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
@Dama_The_Crow Yeah, it was a great battle until said incident in lap 8.
I reviewed the replay, and it has to be called a racing incident. You were faster after I had to dodge @The Breeze and tried to overtake me. You pulled slightly to the right, I was pulled slightly to the left due to the right-hand kink and so we found each other. ;)

@The Breeze - I won't file a steward's report, but please be more cautious in future when rejoining the track as the aftermath did cost both me and @Dama_The_Crow several places.

Race 2 went much better for me. Qualified P7 and gained several places and finished P3 in the end. Really happy with that outcome. :D
Hi @Invincible , this sadly was the first time in my short career that I ruined other drivers' race. I will have to watch the replay to find out what happened and to see, if so, what I did do wrong.
All I know is that I was limping back to the pits after a lagging car behind me, that didn't brake at all for turn 7/8 (Dunlop), crashed into me and ruined my car. Short before the Veedol-chicane, I think, I noticed faster cars came up behind me and I kept my car on the right side of the track and half on the grass to leave room to pass me. Unfortunately you 2 were battling and driving next to each other once you reached me... and maybe noticed me too late or not at all. One of you hit me and because of that bounced back into the other. The whole situation gave me a bad taste in my mouth because I try to do everything not to ruin other people's race and of course especially not my team mate @Dama_The_Crow 's race . So actually I didn't rejoin at all, or never intended to do so, but I will have to check the footage, maybe my car slightly went to the left because of suspension damage, I don't know.
Lessons learned: Next time a situation like this occurs, I will keep the car completely on the grass and 1 meter, or 2 meters, away from track so there will be no issues in case my damaged suspension tends to pull my car unexpectedly to the left or right.
I'll check the footage tonight. Good luck for the next race!

Last edited:

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi @Invincible , this sadly was the first time in my short career that I ruined other drivers' race. I will have to watch the replay to find out what happened and to see, if so, what I did do wrong.
All I know is that I was limping back to the pits after a lagging car behind me, that didn't brake at all for turn 7/8 (Dunlop), crashed into me and ruined my car. Short before the Veedol-chicane, I think, I noticed faster cars came up behind me and I kept my car on the right side of the track and half on the grass to leave room to pass me. Unfortunately you 2 were battling and driving next to each other once you reached me... and maybe noticed me too late or not at all. One of you hit me and because of that bounced back into the other. The whole situation gave me a bad taste in my mouth because I try to do everything not to ruin other people's race and of course especially not my team mate @Dama_The_Crow 's race .

I think you might be mistaking the situation for another, because neither Dama nor I did touch you. We both had to take evasive action but we did not have any contact with you. It was at T11, Warsteiner Kurve Nürburgring_-_Grand-Prix-Strecke.svg.png

Either way, let's focus on the next races and not cry over the spilled milk of yesterday ;)

Last edited:

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
I think you might be mistaking the situation for another, because neither Dama nor I did touch you. We both had to take evasive action but we did not have any contact with you. It was at T11, Warsteiner Kurve

Will definitely have to check the replay... and do things better next race...

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
But that "evasive" action was very interesting... like in a real car race :) Sadly I didn't record race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread