Split 2 - R5: Silverstone - 13th Mar 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince

Community Member
Reaction score
wow, this place turned out to be a real "gentlemen's club" after all :)

SlowBloke

Community Member
Reaction score
Haha, yep, still on a high this morning. Stupid thing is that were it not for a single mistake about five laps from the end, I could have come in fourth.

So, this next bit might sound like a stupid question, but: I had Steveg200 just behind me for much of the race (he's the guy that overtook when I made my mistake). He actually beat me out of the pits, but I legit overtook him about a lap later (my heart rate was through the roof!). Looking at the standings, he's winning the entire championship, so is obviously a bit quick. I'm so used to being a backrunner and yielding that it felt a bit weird not to let him pass. I mean, he'd probably have been lapping faster were I not there. But, this being an actual race, that doesn't matter, right? Given that I'm not a back marker, it's not my problem if there's no chance to overtake? That's how racing works? #pleasesayitsokay

Only changes I made over previous races is that a) first race with the CSWv2.5, and b) first race with a non-default FOV. Guess the new base wouldn't make much difference (upgrade from a v2), but the FOV might have done. I had no idea until a conversation came up on the SMS work forums how important FOV was. I'd been running with the default all this time. I've changed that to around 55º (~48º would be 'correct'). Although I can't see my wing mirrors any more, it does feel like the car's easier to place, and 'feels' more real.

...or I could just be over-analysing, and I just got lucky last night! Time (and Watkins Glen) will tell, I suppose.
Put up a fight as long as you want! Just follow racing etiquette.

However.... every second you fight you lose precious seconds... so imo anyone you know is significantly faster your usually better off letting them go asap unless it makes sense not to for a myriad of potential reasons.

I think your fov is probably the biggest impact. Dama changed his fov and immediately became significantly faster too.

Pete Morrish

Community Member
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure. I think Steveg200 said after the race that he wasn't significantly faster than me during the race. So, I wasn't consciously blocking at all, ever – just racing.

It's only when I looked at the standings afterwards, and saw he was winning the championship overall, that I wondered.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I went by this little guide (http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/howto.php?g=pCARS) regarding FoV & then tweaked it to regain the majority of my mirrors =D
Watching your video again pete & you pushed me really hard the opening laps, think the saving grace was we generally made the same mistakes on the same corners otherwise you'd have had me on the straight easily

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Personally, I'm too much of a gent and if somebody starts gaining on me quickly, out of nowhere, I'll just let them past, regardless of position. I did that last night, when Suomy gained on me whilst I was leading the race. I didn't have enough confidence in the car last night to start fending him off so I might have 'accidentally' made a few errors which let him past :). But I was under no obligation to do so and you shouldn't ever feel obliged to do so either :)
I would add that this is a strategic choice to let a faster opponent pass or not. Personally I choose to never defend a position I can't keep. Typically, if the opponent is faster from more than 5 tenths, he will probably pass soon or later. If this implies loosing several seconds of fight before giving up the position, then this could endanger your race, not only because every fight is a risk, but also because some opponents may catch you meanwhile, thus bringing more fights, which brings more risk, which brings more fights.... ;)

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I dont need to let faster guys pass.. Ill bin when i see em approaching lol.. On a serious note tho. if you end up behind me i wont give it up without a fight but i will yield when i know im beat no point ruining 2 peoples races...

Stormin

Community Member
Reaction score
we wont end up behind you in this series Jonno as your with all the aliens :p

Jonno

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

TheDoctor46

Community Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I missed the race (date!), silly me :dead::banghead: