Split 2 - R6: Bathurst - 23rd April 2018 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Class: GTE
Track: Bathurst
League Agreement: Mandatory Pitstop

Date: Monday, 23rd April 2018
17:30 UTC - Optional Practice
18:30 UTC - Driver Briefing (Mandatory)
18:40 UTC - Qualifying
19:00 UTC - Race

Race
Date: 23rd April 2018
Time Progression: 5x
Weather Progression: Sync to Race

Qualifying Duration: 20 minutes
Qualifying Start Time: 5:00

Qualifying Weather Forecast: Light Fog

Race Time: 5 + 75 minutes
Race Start Time: 6:00
Race Weather Forecast: Fog > Light Cloud > Clear

Realism Settings
Force Realistic Driving Aids:
Yes
Force Manual Pitstops: Yes
Tire Wear: Authentic
Fuel Depletion: Yes

Starting Procedure: Rolling Start, the pole driver will lead the field through the formation lap. The speed limit for the lead car will be 50mph / 80kph. We are going to form up in a 2×2 formation at the beginning of sector 3, maintaining our speed. Odd numbers on the right and even numbers on the left side.

Penalties
-

Confirmed No-Shows
@dominiczeth
@2scoops

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
so...qualifying will be paramount imo, as i expect total carnage somewhere in the opening laps. Running up front lowers the chance of the driver to be part of that carnage.

Nevertheless i think the big question here is tyre choice and fuel, a bit mitigated by the fact that we are running 5x time. Softs are much faster but they are done in 10 laps or so. And since we are running 5x time, most of the race will be during the day, where i think the hard tyres will heat up properly (contrary to the early hours of the day with fog).
Furthermore, lower fuel loads increses safety and speed in this track as the car is a bit more agile so for this race i am considering running lower fuel loads. I am still not convinced if more than 1 pit stop (and potencially get some soft tyres into the mix) will be a good strategy.

Opinions?

Last edited:

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
I will have to test the temperatures for late morning / noon. It is autumn in Asutralia, so we might see some track temperatures which are too hot for softs.
I'm currently planning to start on softs with a full tank and switch to hards and refuel after roughly 25 minutes. I will see if this works when I have time to test over the weekend.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I'm going to raise this now, in the hope that people prepare adequately.

Many of you are super-kind when it comes to letting through lapping cars. Firstly, thank you for this. However, in each race I've come across very well meaning maneuvers that were actually pretty suicidal in their attempts to be "kind" (I've been meaning to put together a video, as it would express this much better).

With Bathurst being so narrow throughout the hill climb/decent particular care is required. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth:
  1. Remain predictable. If you want to help, stay fully left or right (while staying on the track - too many kind souls are ruining their race by actually leaving track for me...it's not needed!)
  2. Even if a lead car is coming up on you, don't swerve across track! It's very likely that you swerve into a passing maneuver
  3. Maintain your normal racing line and speed coming out of a corner - it's for the faster car to pass you. Again, be predictable
  4. Gently relax throttle on a longer straight once your line is clearly chosen
  5. Don't give a "please pass me" in the latter stages of a straight coming up to a corner. If you make it ambiguous, then you might end up with a big slow down and the racing car not passing you because they don't want to be clipped on the corner. At Monza for example I had people saying "pass me" at the bridge just before the chicane, while still being at speed on the inside. I can't trust whether you mean "take the racing line" or "go around me on the outside".
  6. If in doubt, keep your racing line and speed until there is a clear opportunity. Don't completely bin your race just for the fast guy...
  7. Before the race, spend a little time on track thinking about where the good passing points are, and where it would be insane to pass. AI are not great for this as they act weird, but you can still try passing them and work out "hmm, that felt really dangerous, guess I should not do that". You can apply this understanding both to your passes and to letting others pass you. (Top tip, it's dangerous across the entire mountainside)
  8. Still be amazingly considerate and awesome. Honestly, you guys are the best. I'm thoroughly enjoying RSR because of this atmosphere.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Many of you are super-kind when it comes to letting through lapping cars. Firstly, thank you for this. However, in each race I've come across very well meaning maneuvers that were actually pretty suicidal in their attempts to be "kind" (I've been meaning to put together a video, as it would express this much better).

With Bathurst being so narrow throughout the hill climb/decent particular care is required. Here are my thoughts for what they are worth:
  1. Remain predictable. If you want to help, stay fully left or right (while staying on the track - too many kind souls are ruining their race by actually leaving track for me...it's not needed!)
  2. Even if a lead car is coming up on you, don't swerve across track! It's very likely that you swerve into a passing maneuver
  3. Maintain your normal racing line and speed coming out of a corner - it's for the faster car to pass you. Again, be predictable
  5. Don't give a "please pass me" in the latter stages of a straight coming up to a corner. If you make it ambiguous, then you might end up with a big slow down and the racing car not passing you because they don't want to be clipped on the corner. At Monza for example I had people saying "pass me" at the bridge just before the chicane, while still being at speed on the inside. I can't trust whether you mean "take the racing line" or "go around me on the outside".
  6. If in doubt, keep your racing line and speed until there is a clear opportunity. Don't completely bin your race just for the fast guy...
  7. Before the race, spend a little time on track thinking about where the good passing points are, and where it would be insane to pass. AI are not great for this as they act weird, but you can still try passing them and work out "hmm, that felt really dangerous, guess I should not do that". You can apply this understanding both to your passes and to letting others pass you. (Top tip, it's dangerous across the entire mountainside)
  8. Still be amazingly considerate and awesome. Honestly, you guys are the best. I'm thoroughly enjoying RSR because of this atmosphere.

On the back of this, I would like to ask that the lapping car have a little patience as well, (I know most of you do and this is not a dig at anyone or anything that has happened here) but I have seen accidents happen when a lapping car got impatient. We are all here to race and enjoy the event and we all want to do this with as little incident as possible. And I completely agree with all of @UnstopaPaul comment above and would just add mine into the above. Lets make this a race to remember and have a good one.

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score

Agree with most of it, some remarks, ideas:
- back markers might go utterly slow for a reason, for instance in case of severe suspension damage, and leave track for faster cars because the car is totally unpredictable and might go to left/right unexpectedly and hit the passing car. My advise for the faster ones in this case is to leave enough space when you pass the back marker and don't pass as if you are racing the back marker, you might get hit.
- some driving faster give a clear call in time when they want to pass, some are unclear in their conversation...or way too late, or don't say anything at all over team speak ... which causes unpredictable situations as well.
- sometimes it is hard to keep yourself informed on what is coming behind you, while trying to get the damaged car on track and not having VR or tripple screens, despite the inbuild indicator.
- Might be an idea that those who have a single screen (SS), add this to their name so we all can see who has the better view (VR, tripple screens) and who doesn't?

Will get me an Oculus Rift for next season :D

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
I am desperately in need of a new banner :D

banner.png

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Agree with most of it, some remarks, ideas:
- back markers might go utterly slow for a reason, for instance in case of severe suspension damage, and leave track for faster cars because the car is totally unpredictable and might go to left/right unexpectedly and hit the passing car. My advise for the faster ones in this case is to leave enough space when you pass the back marker and don't pass as if you are racing the back marker, you might get hit.
- some driving faster give a clear call in time when they want to pass, some are unclear in their conversation...or way too late, or don't say anything at all over team speak ... which causes unpredictable situations as well.
- sometimes it is hard to keep yourself informed on what is coming behind you, while trying to get the damaged car on track and not having VR or tripple screens, despite the inbuild indicator.
- Might be an idea that those who have a single screen (SS), add this to their name so we all can see who has the better view (VR, tripple screens) and who doesn't?

Will get me an Oculus Rift for next season :D

I will always try to give a heads up several corners ahead where practical (it's not a demand to get out of the way, just preparing us both for the upcoming pass). It's hard to be succinct and not appear rude, but racing focus, TS etiquette and push to talk combined means that I try to get only the essentials across.

It's totally understood that sometimes people need to go slow etc. I guess I'm just saying that I think some people are actually too generous in sacrificing their race.

benimi

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Oh man, I love this track.

Can we do the version of the track which only uses the hill part of the track, and connecting the 2 ends of it with not having 2 way too long straights? What do you mean that version doesn't exists? Bummer.

Opinions?
Well I'm already strugling to put enough heat into the lights at the start time of the race, so Hards are a no-go for me.

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Just putting my name down for this in-case there's any drop outs. I'll happy reserve for either split 1 or 2, preferably split 2 - don't think I can compete with the split 1 times.

Last edited:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
@t0daY there is no "light fog", so it is "fog" then?

Zenny

Community Member
Reaction score
I'll sign up just in case anyone drops out. I'm happy racing in either split 1 or 2 but preferably split 2.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@t0daY there is no "light fog", so it is "fog" then?
Yes :)

In case it helps anybody, who might be struggling with how to attack Bathurst, I just took the default 'loose' setup and lowered the radiator to minimum and reduced the brake ducts to 25% (front and rear, IIRC). That resulted in this lap in TT

The same setup will do 1m59 in quali conditions on soft tyres (the TT was set on hard tyres, given that the track is over 50C!) with the braking points and places to put the power down being the same.

This is not to show off (well, OK, maybe a little, but the lap is still not a perfect one :D) but to genuinely help some of you who might struggle to really attack this amazing circuit.

Last edited:

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
steering ratio default? that is some massive steering there.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
steering ratio default? that is some massive steering there.
Yes. Everything except the radiator and brake ducts is on default. It's more to show that the default setup is excellent for Bathurst :)

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Yes :)

In case it helps anybody, who might be struggling with how to attack Bathurst, I just took the default 'loose' setup and lowered the radiator to minimum and reduced the brake ducts to 25% (front and rear, IIRC). That resulted in this lap in TT

The same setup will do 1m59 in quali conditions on soft tyres (the TT was set on hard tyres, given that the track is over 50C!) with the braking points and places to put the power down being the same.

This is not to show off (well, OK, maybe a little, but the lap is still not a perfect one :D) but to genuinely help some of you who might struggle to really attack this amazing circuit.

How do you downshift so fast though? I could do that in PCars 1 but in the second, there seems to be a system in place that prevents fast downshifting. I have to spam it several times to get it to register.

Last edited:

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
The precision on that is disgustingly alien like. How do you downshift so fast though? I could do that in PCars 1 but in the second, there seems to be a system in place that prevents fast downshifting. I have to spam it several times to get it to register.
I rarely run into that limitation. And if I do, it is from second to first only. Other than that, you can easily rapid fire the gears down if you don't start as soon as you hit the brakes.
Brake, let the revs drop by 1500 rpm and then fire away on the shifter. Works for me at least.

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
I rarely run into that limitation. And if I do, it is from second to first only. Other than that, you can easily rapid fire the gears down if you don't start as soon as you hit the brakes.
Brake, let the revs drop by 1500 rpm and then fire away on the shifter. Works for me at least.

I've never had it from 6th to 5th or 5th to 4th, but anything below that it rarely works first time. I've just gotten into the habit of rapidly punching the shiftier until it registers, and 2nd to 1st, good god, that's like someone with Parkinson's disease.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Think I scared @Stokemon with the times I was doing on a controller the other day hehe. :D
The biggest hint I can give for those that are lost setup wise - try your monza setups. You'll find its near enough on the money. Though you may want to tweak 2nd & 3rd gears.:pompous:
Also, the ford seems quite happy to tap/ bounce off the walls with no damage received.;)
Start on the softs & run em for as long as possible, refuel to the brim & load on the hards & ride it to the end :cool:

drukqs

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The biggest hint I can give for those that are lost setup wise - try your monza setups. You'll find its near enough on the money.
I could not disagree more with this :D, my setup for Bathurst is exactly the oposite of Monza: Monza i had a low aero, low toe/camber degrees, high engine mapping (my usual preference to not unsettle the car) hard car. In Bathurst my setup is exclusively made for safety on the mountains: high aero, high negative toe/camber for better cornering and response (at expense of straights speed/stability) it will also help heat up the tyres, soft and higher car to help me on the bumbs and engine mapping on 0 for maximum breaking torque without touching my brakes.
Also, the ford seems quite happy to tap/ bounce off the walls with no damage received.;)
Same with the Ferrari, as long as you dont hit the wall with your front, but bumping on the side does not affect the car a lot.
Start on the softs & run em for as long as possible, refuel to the brim & load on the hards & ride it to the end :cool:
I am still not convinced i need the softs even on the beginning. Definetely the hards are the option for the low cloud/clear skies as they will heat up enough. My main concern with the softs (that are indeed significantly faster) is that they get wasted after a few laps, even if you take them say, 15 laps, the last 6 or 7 laps are on degraded tyres: unsafe and slower. But i have not decided on this yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread