PC2 Resolved Sprint Series - S1 - Round 4 - Avoidable Crash (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GosuNoob

Reaction score
Date: 1/6/19
Event: Sprint Series @ Watkins Glen Short
Members Involved: @Antony Brown
Description:
Synopsis and Intent:
After passing the vehicle in front of me on the inside of the long right hand corner, I took a defensive line that left the other vehicle about 1.5 car widths to work with heading towards the inside of the next corner. My goal was to maintain this line until right before the braking zone, giving the vehicle no angle on which to enter the corner, and then execute a finishing pass either on the outside, or with an over-under maneuver if the vehicle decided to not brake enough and ran wide.

Diagnosis:
While side-by-side, the other vehicle attempted to move back towards the racing line twice, the second of which led to the incident.
The first time was from 15-17 seconds into the video, and the next from 20-23.
My vehicle was centered on the track upon exiting the long right corner, with one minor correction made the first time the car came towards me to avoid a collision, yielding about another half a meter of track space.

Investigation:
The white lines on the left side of the track are the best indicators for who is going straight and who is not. At the 15 second mark you can see the white line runs completely straight all the way until the next corner.
The Aston can be seen increasing that gap between his vehicle and the white line. At the 20 second mark his left side mirror is touching the line, and at 23 seconds when contact is made it has moved to the right of the line, indicating a change in trajectory.
In the final segment of video from my cockpit camera and the small side window, you can see that distance to the white line maintained until contact is made. If you place your mouse on the line, you will see it stay glued to the line and in fact get a little further away right before contact is made. This would indicate that my vehicle was in fact going straight.

Additionally, you from the cockpit you can see the placement of the hands of the driver on the wheel. In the Aston, the drivers left hand is higher than his right, indicating that the car is not going straight, but in fact veering to the right.

Racing rules:
According to racing protocol, I do not believe I am obligated to move back to the racing line in this type of position, as long as I have done two things:
1. Left the other vehicle enough space and am staying straight heading towards the next corner.
2. Maintaining that 1.5 car width for the other vehicle and not shrinking it.

End Result:
Since both of these were done in my view, my opinion is that the other vehicle moved off his line, and created an avoidable collision that left my vehicle incapacitated on the race track with other vehicles coming towards me. In view of this, I retired to remove myself from the track.

Additional Info and Background:
I would like to say, that the only reason I took as defensive a line as I did, was what happened on the prior lap between me and the same driver.
There was a divebomb executed which left the other vehicle still on the brakes far beyond the apex of the corner and drifting to the outside of the corner. This left me only one option since I was already back on the gas, which was to run into his rear, run wide, and lose not just one but two positions in the process. If he was able to keep his car to the inside of the corner I would not even bring this up, but the vehicle was still on the brakes after the apex and left me nowhere to go.

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Antony Brown

Reaction score
Steam
View
yes.
From my replay, looking back at the accident which resulted in both cars being severally damaged, my actions on the wheel and where i was sending thew car was straight to the next corner maintaining a straight line without touching the grass and missing the left kink up the track. The reply does show that i had about 0.5m of space( which i was not totally aware of) but looking at the cock pit view on @GosuNoob car, his wheel was straight, but the trajectory of the car prior to contact was toward the apex of the next left hand turn if he had continued straight. I was along side at this time and would have run out of track at some point and have been forced onto the grass. I'm pretty sure i did not make that move on my wheel, certainly not intentionally as i knew @GosuNoob was there. I do feel as though more could have been done to avoid the crash on both parts in hindsight.
As for the "dive bomb", I was less than a car length behind and after contact i slowed, asked if you were OK (hence battenberg pass us both) no response, let you catch right up, after realised you hadn't a mic. :(

video of the other perspectives here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BlGeD-3iVIPE4HvHM6h6tcm9Dp9XTbaX?usp=sharing

sorry that we collided.

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Moved to stewards.

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The Stewards have completed their enquiries and are issuing @GosuNoob with A Reprimand for causing an avoidable collision, with 0 License Points added to his Racing License. There will be No Further Action taken against @Antony Brown in this case.

The decision to issue a reprimand was primarily the accident caused in the 2nd incident, but also partially from what some of the stewards found to be Gosunoob's unnecessarily aggressive tactics in the first. Given the USA/Europe nature of this league, the problems we have regularly encountered in racing sims are exaggerated, especially when combined with the notorious "glue effect", so such aggressive squeezing out of other drivers is only likely to result in an accident where there might otherwise have been nothing. Both drivers appear to move towards each other in the final moments before contact and on its own, this would have resulted in no further action from the stewards. Drivers are reminded that they should be especially mindful of netcode and distances when attempting such tactics in future.

Thread closed for further comments @GosuNoob @Antony Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)