Star Citizen (1 Viewer)

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
It’s taken scope creep to a never seen before level. I spotted the other day you can buy an in game package for $27,000...For WMD returns that makes sense but not just for ships in a game, that’s insane!
September 2013 they made 2 polls if people want an increase of the scope from its original. The overwhelming majority voted for it, so that's that. It has little to do with the original crowdfunding.

The 27'000 dollar package is only all ships together (I think some of them you will have twice in that package, not sure on that) and was requested by people which "invested" a lot of money in it already (we call them whales).
You also have no advantage of having so many ships (generally you only have a slight advantage if you buy a ship with real money (given you got one of the started ships), cause you will be able to relatively quickly achieve a bigger ship ingame, especially if you play with friends ; its not pay to win!).
So basically those who buy it just want to support the devs or are those guys that resell them on the greymarket. You are not forced nor do you need to buy it. I don't see any problem here, everyone can do with the money whatever he legally wants to.

but as a project it’s way off the rails.
I completely disagree. For me the project is just time wise nowhere near as promised, but Chris Roberts learned from that and now gives out no more dates.
If you take account the rescoping and restructuring of the studios, the project is for around 4 years into the making. Approx. H1 2019 we will see the first star system complete.
For the tech and scope its a fair amount of time - given that this has never been done before (incl. tech) and that some bigger titles took around 7 years aswell (with established studios and resources, this here is purely crowdfunded).

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I guess only time will tell...interesting that the scope increase was voted for in 2013 but they are only 4 years into the development...couple of years party time lol? I’m jesting of course, I just hope the whales provide enough money to get it finished. Can you imagine the fallout if this all falls apart...

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I bought into star citizenaround the same time as I signed up for WMD for PC1...ive had so much pleasure since but sadly little or nothing from SC.

I’d really like to see this finished one day, but they need to decide what the finished product is going to be and just get on with it. It’s taken scope creep to a never seen before level. I spotted the other day you can buy an in game package for $27,000...For WMD returns that makes sense but not just for ships in a game, that’s insane!

It’s little wonder there is so much criticism of the way this game has developed, completely bizarre. Not hating on it, I’d like to see it made, but as a project it’s way off the rails.

I actually like they have no pressure from publisher to release the game(s), until they're happy with every single detail.
The tech is incredible, no-one else have that.

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
I guess only time will tell...interesting that the scope increase was voted for in 2013 but they are only 4 years into the development...couple of years party time lol?
So they contracted some external company, to find out at the end that the assets did not fit and then did not renew the contract with them. Like a lot of money & time wasted (iirc that was around 2014/2015).
Over time they opened some new studios and have now 5 studios and have some external companies aswell (an overview you find here).
The increase in scope demanded that they had to redo most of the stuff (ie. several ships were redone to fit item 2.0 and the new metric / updated art styles). Additional some longterm R&D projects went on much faster than expected (procedural planets) while others seems to have some setbacks (object container streaming and server meshing).
I think they tried their best to be organized but I think that was their biggest culprit for a long time. Seems now they changed the system, especially for build releases, which they have now a public visible roadmap which they stay on +- note: Some features are not listed on the roadmap, either surprises or stuff they have no clue when, but then suddenly appear in a patch (this is atm the case for ingame ship rental, which probably appears in Alpha 3.3 eventhough you see it nowhere listed).

TLDR: You have to be patient. I would say look every patch into the notes and maybe into reddit if there is something exciting or just wait for the next patch.
Roadmap can be found here

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
Looking at just the Core Tech in the roadmap, there’s still a long way to go...they’re burning through lots of money in the process. What happens if the whales get bored/disillusioned and walk away. I’m nervous I’ll be honest, it’s incredibly ambitious but I’m not 100% convinced they can pull it off.

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
Looking at just the Core Tech in the roadmap, there’s still a long way to go...they’re burning through lots of money in the process. What happens if the whales get bored/disillusioned and walk away. I’m nervous I’ll be honest, it’s incredibly ambitious but I’m not 100% convinced they can pull it off.
More ship concept sales ;)

I am sure they have some reserves, iirc Chris Roberts himself said they have reserves for a few years. In the end they want to run the game without subscription aswell - but DLCs are planned. No subscriptions suprise me, if the game is that good, I would even pay 30-60 bucks per year.

I’m nervous I’ll be honest, it’s incredibly ambitious but I’m not 100% convinced they can pull it off.
Crowdfunding is always a risk. People on reddit basically say:
"Treat the money as lost" - so you should basically only spend as much as you are ready to lose, getting it back in any form is only a bonus.

Last edited:

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
CitizenCon was yday/today
Here some of the videos (more to come)

Intro:

Squadron 42 Trailer:

Keynotes / 3.3.5 gameplay (coming November 2018):

Some short ship commercials (Mustangs are reworks, the other 2 are new):

Dama_The_Crow

Community Member
Reaction score
Will this game ever be finished? :)

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
Not to any standard that'll keep the rabid fanboys happy. Or maybe they'll go the other way and just accept what they get and make out it's the best game ever, like some kind of video game Stockholm syndrome. Whichever way it pans out it's going to be........ interesting.

I'm glad I backed the game tbh (lowest tier and no jpgs of ships purchased), the weekly email of lies has been worth the entry price alone.

Everything they show of the game is so gloriously janky. They did a twitch stream recently to 'show off' player interactivity with the environment which basically went:

Player places cup on counter

Cup very obviously slides from player's hand to the one point on the counter it can stay on.

Chris: "Obviously you can place this stuff anywhere in the world!"

Game crashes.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Not to any standard that'll keep the rabid fanboys happy. Or maybe they'll go the other way and just accept what they get and make out it's the best game ever, like some kind of video game Stockholm syndrome. Whichever way it pans out it's going to be........ interesting.

I'm glad I backed the game tbh (lowest tier and no jpgs of ships purchased), the weekly email of lies has been worth the entry price alone.

Everything they show of the game is so gloriously janky. They did a twitch stream recently to 'show off' player interactivity with the environment which basically went:
Just going forward, can you (and any other member thinking of writing similar)refrain from language like this (the bolded part) please. The game has not released, it is entirely optional for people to be involved with it or not so I would respectfully ask everybody here to choose their words carefully and comment on what IS available, both during the pre-release versions and the final version. I have no problem with people voicing their concerns about an as-yet-unreleased product but I do have a problem with language like this. Stick to facts instead of name-calling please :).

For the record, I am not involved with this game in any way. I never played any of the original Wing Commander or Strike Commander games and the general premise of the game fails to excite me one little bit, so I haven't bought into it to test and I am highly unlikely to buy it when it is released. I am just mindful that language like such used above is not helpful.

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
Are only positive opinions allowed here? Seems like echo chamber mentality.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I thought I made it quite clear that my problem was the TONE of your post, not the POINT of your post. If you have a problem with the game, feel free to state that you are unhappy but do so without labelling other people "rabid fanboys" or "suffering from Stockholm Syndrome" or accusing the developers of "lies" in their e-mails. That type of thing is really not helpful if somebody wants a balanced viewpoint. If you want an example, read my thoughts on ACC. I have little positive to say about it but the difference in language between my post and yours is considerable.

I am not going to censor opinions here, whichever side they fall on. I hope I don't have to resort to censoring the way those opinions are expressed.

And with no further ado, back to discussion about what's good AND bad about Star Citizen :)

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
FOIP tech in 3.3 :) (Face over IP)

SharkyOB

Community Member
Reaction score
From this week's email of truth:

We aim to bring you the most significant and comprehensive project updates available. However, particularly sensitive details will remain under wraps to avoid unnecessary leaks to the civilian community.

Sensitive details such as 'WE HAVE NO GAME, ARGH!'

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
At the moment this quite a sensible approach with the lawsuit that is currently going on with Crytek. I am not suprised they are keeping wraps on certain information especially with what Crytek lawyers are asking for to be brought forward.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
@Darksi is there any news about the lawsuit? Last mention in German press was in August.

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The last I heard on this was the following:

On September 28th there has been a filing for a Discovery Report by Crytek requesting the following info:
CIG Products including SC and Squadron 42
marketing and promotion info
revenue, profits and crowdfunding
where cryengine has been used
management structure
communications with customers
contracts and tech transferred between crytek and CIG

CIG have basically argued that they do not need all this information as this is a simple licence breach. If I understand correctly the Discovery Report should be happening today but what is in that report i havent seen anymore info on this yet.

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I'm desperate for Squadron 42 to live up to the Wing Commander games. WC4 has a very special place in my heart as possibly the most engaging game I ever played, as much as it is a game "of its time". Sadly I think I might be too engrossed in Half-Life 3 when it comes out...

Blue Monkey

Reaction score
At the moment this quite a sensible approach with the lawsuit that is currently going on with Crytek. I am not suprised they are keeping wraps on certain information especially with what Crytek lawyers are asking for to be brought forward.
More about not Spoilering the story of Squadron 42 :) in the longterm ofc also for the multiplayer Star Citizen, or it won't be fun for players to discover stuff anymore.

The lawsuit looks atm way more in favor for CIG (source: actual lawyers), but only time will tell :)
Post automatically merged:

FOIP in action, wow works much better than I thought (the last one is the best because you see ingame & real life webcam)
FOR FOIP you either need any webcam or you can use an Android phone with DroidCam :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread