Project CARS 2 Test - First Video Upload (1 Viewer)

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
Success!

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, the YouTube video is significantly lower quality than what I see in the game. That's disappointing.

I'm using the recording feature in GeForce Experience. Does anyone have any experience with that, and can help me improve quality and such?

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
I’ve used it a few times. Settings are quite simple as far as I remember but can help you out on Thursday before the race if you need.
Regarding the quality, YouTube takes a while to upgrade the quality after an upload. Not sure what the initial quality is but it goes up in stages over time after the upload. My recent ones have been in 4K and it takes ages before it’s available at that resolution.

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Well, the YouTube video is significantly lower quality than what I see in the game. That's disappointing.

I'm using the recording feature in GeForce Experience. Does anyone have any experience with that, and can help me improve quality and such?
I tried using recording feature in windows10 game bar once. Can recommend.

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Ah, good call Hujkis. I'll look into that.

In the meantime, I am happier with this Hockenheim video. At least it's better than my Lotus/Le Mans video.

Finding the optimal Mbits setting within the recorder seems to be the key. I'll keep experimenting...

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
I use the Windows 10 game bar too. Runs in the background automatically, just press a key to save last 10 minutes or record for hours. Doesn't seem to have any performance impact on the system, even in VR. Probably the only thing on Windows 10 I'd recommend to be honest :D

EDIT: Should also add that your second test looks pretty good. There's a couple of, what appears to be frame drops at points during the recording, but for the most part it's quite minor. The quality is also good. Windows 10's recorder is solid, so I'd recommend trying that, I've never liked Nvidias personally, also found it to be a bit temperamental. You could also try a software called Action!, it's free and know quite a few people that use that over software such as XSplit or Fraps because it's imposingly pretty smooth.

Looks good though!

Last edited:

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I'll repeat myself

OBS? it is free, supports streaming/recording/overlays/whatnot. And it seems to not impact performance.
Sure, if you want to stream and other modern youtubers-era thingies. OBS it is. Especially, since it is open.
However, for recording only, why would you install additional user-space program, if windows have this feature built-in?

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry, Ash. I missed your first reply somehow.
But like Hujkis said, I'm not looking to stream or anything like that. I just want to record a little something once in a while.
I'm an old man and prefer to live by the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid.) I tried uploading the raw game recording at first, but YouTube wasn't having any of that. I'm still running Windows 7, even, which leaves the GeForce Experience recorder as the simplest option for me.

I really appreciate everyone's help as I learn this new fancy computer stuff!

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry, Ash. I missed your first reply somehow.
But like Hujkis said, I'm not looking to stream or anything like that. I just want to record a little something once in a while.
I'm an old man and prefer to live by the KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid.) I tried uploading the raw game recording at first, but YouTube wasn't having any of that. I'm still running Windows 7, even, which leaves the GeForce Experience recorder as the simplest option for me.

I really appreciate everyone's help as I learn this new fancy computer stuff!

If you're using Windows 7, popular software is Fraps, Bancidam and of course, Geforce Experience. All of them are as simple as launching the software, selecting what you want to record and pressing a button to start and stop the recording, and it goes to whatever folder you like. If you do want KISS though, for your situation, Geforce is probably the best. It's all setup to go, press a button, done. Not sure how it compares in terms of impacting performance whilst recording versus the others, but, if you can make it work for you, it's probably the best choice for your situation.

Ashnoom

Community Member
Reaction score
All of them are as simple as launching the software, selecting what you want to record and pressing a button to start and stop the recording, and it goes to whatever folder you like.

Fraps is not free, neither is Bandicam. They both leave a nasty watermark on the video. OBS is free and as easy to setup as fraps/bandicam/geforce experience. Select window (by name/.exe) (only have to change this per game you launch) select output folder (only have to do this once) click record (by selectable hotkey).
Now I am not here to promote OBS, just giving alternatives. And so far by the messages posted here it made it look like OBS is not simple to use, but it is just as simple as the others ;-).

Stitch

Community Member
Reaction score
Fraps is not free, neither is Bandicam. They both leave a nasty watermark on the video. OBS is free and as easy to setup as fraps/bandicam/geforce experience. Select window (by name/.exe) (only have to change this per game you launch) select output folder (only have to do this once) click record (by selectable hotkey).
Now I am not here to promote OBS, just giving alternatives. And so far by the messages posted here it made it look like OBS is not simple to use, but it is just as simple as the others ;-).

I never said they were free. They do leave watermarks but there's plenty of ways to get around that. They're so commonly used these days you can just get them for free pretty much anywhere. Still, for his purposes Geforce is probably still the best bet.

Zemke

Community Member
Reaction score
Just a test screenshot comparison post. I was driving the Ferrari GTE at Le Mans.

Users who are viewing this thread