The Coronavirus / Covid 19 Thread (1 Viewer)

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
F31B8E82-FDA1-4EC4-9585-F5E5FF0B5406.jpeg

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
^^^^ I don't want to think about trying to drift with that.

As amusing as it is (although, I'll confess to crossing my legs a little at the thought of crashing whilst trying to drive with that :eek: ), let's try and keep this to Corona-related stories and humour please. We all need a laugh - god knows I do! - but it is the Corona thread. There's a tonne of funny videos and pics out there, let's post those along with our stories :)

On that note...

My father tried to go shopping this morning, as Waitrose were opening their doors for 1 hour for the elderly. Yeah, what a fucking farce. The queue to get in was enormous (apparently there was a 300-metre queue at Sainsbury's on the first morning they tried the same thing) and then when he did get in, there was hardly anything on the shelves anyway. What's the fucking point in opening the doors early, for the elderly, if there's then no fucking stuff to fucking buy? Many of those people will have made a special journey, risking their own health, to get some precious food only to find there isn't any.

Fresh fish? Nope, the fish counter is closed.
Fresh meat? Nope, the meat counter is closed.
Pasta? Nope.
Baked beans? Nope.
Tinned tomatoes? Nope.
Shortage of essential fruit and veg? Yep.

I will commend them for trying but all they've done is piss off a bunch of already very stressed old folk. Yay. Twats.

/rant

Last edited:

Invincible

Community Member
Reaction score
At least they're trying to do something for the elderly. Many old grannies and granpas are pretty much fucked if they have no young folks who can help them.
My plea to everyone here: If you have elderly people in your neighborhood, ask them if you can help them or if they have family who take care. Ask if they need something which you can get for them. Avoid close contact, but don't leave those people on their own. Also, share if you can spare stuff.
And don't fucking hoard noodles and toilet paper. No one needs 10 packs of toilet paper and 20 kg of pasta.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
At least they're trying to do something for the elderly. Many old grannies and granpas are pretty much fucked if they have no young folks who can help them.
My plea to everyone here: If you have elderly people in your neighborhood, ask them if you can help them or if they have family who take care. Ask if they need something which you can get for them. Avoid close contact, but don't leave those people on their own. Also, share if you can spare stuff.
And don't fucking hoard noodles and toilet paper. No one needs 10 packs of toilet paper and 20 kg of pasta.
It's the people trying to hoard fresh fruit and veg that I don't understand ...

But yeah, communities need to come together to help everybody. Some will, some won't. The sad fact of the matter is, once all of this has blown over normal selfish service will resume.

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yea, we went to Tesco last night. Couldn't believe it, I'd say the store was about 30% stocked. We tried a few local places and got stuff, and went to a local butcher this morning who had everything else we needed. I believe there is plenty of food in the system, it's just in the wrong places - mostly peoples freezers! The butcher this morning told us that poeple said they had bought chest freezers so they can stock up. Crazy, and it is the vulnerable that will struggle in these times.

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The supply chain is slowly adapting from what I understand. Supermarkets and food producers are reducing their ranges to prioritise stock quantity over variety. Places are also recruiting to keep up with demand. Of course it's been exacerbated by panic buyers, but the infrastructure should catch up soon.

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
A little update from me and my hospital.

Most of the work I needed to do to get the ER ready is done and the first patients are coming.
Some colleagues, who are not involved in nursing, are working from home now. At the moment it's extremely quite around this place, but you can feel the storm coming closer. The good thing is, that we are well prepared and everyone is working hand in hand. And we are still laughing, which helps a lot. Some of them are asking me, if I need some help (shopping etc.), because I'm here all week for some hours :). I'm a bit sleepy atm, but I think that's just because I'm getting :oldman:.
I'm pressing my thumbs, that all the work we done here is for nothing and that it will be only a faint breeze. But I'm sure that we can handle everything, no matter what.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yea, we went to Tesco last night. Couldn't believe it, I'd say the store was about 30% stocked. We tried a few local places and got stuff, and went to a local butcher this morning who had everything else we needed. I believe there is plenty of food in the system, it's just in the wrong places - mostly peoples freezers! The butcher this morning told us that poeple said they had bought chest freezers so they can stock up. Crazy, and it is the vulnerable that will struggle in these times.
My brother tried to buy a freezer this week. Yeah, good luck with that. People are panic buying the Beko freezers that are suitable for outdoors, as they need the extra space for all the shit they're hoarding, so yeah, now freezers are out of stock :| . My brother and his girlfriend don't have a freezer at all, let alone "an extra one".

hinesy32

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yea, this is what I was saying, how many actually have the space for one! We have just been trying to buy exactly the same as we always do and not buy anything extra. As battenburg said, the system will change to meet the demands.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1584705840966.jpg

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
The supply chain is slowly adapting from what I understand. Supermarkets and food producers are reducing their ranges to prioritise stock quantity over variety. Places are also recruiting to keep up with demand. Of course it's been exacerbated by panic buyers, but the infrastructure should catch up soon.

This is true, but getting the stuff into the country is an issue. Can't load as many wagons onto trains and boats to the uk as the drivers are having to socially distance on board them. It's slowing things, but it will settle down when the panic buying eases off.

The stupidity will kill us before the virus does. My cousin is a delivery driver and people ask him what he has spare on board already, wait until people don't have the money to buy stuff, scary times ahead I fear unless we can keep money in peoples pockets to provide for themselves and their families.

javoresku

Community Member
Reaction score
People are panic buying the Beko freezers that are suitable for outdoors, as they need the extra space for all the shit they're hoarding, so yeah, now freezers are out of stock
Turns out common sense is not so common after all.
Looking at the bright side - after all this, there will be a lot of people selling these freezers for next to no money.

And an update from Bulgaria - all intercity travell is banned effective midnight tonight.

Last edited:

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Turns out common sense is not so common after all.
Looking at the bright side - after all this, there will be a lot of people selling these freezers for next to no money.

And an update from Bulgaria - all intercity travell is banned effective midnight tonight.
Funnily enough I mentioned the cheap freezer thing to my brother but him and his girlfriend need one now and to stick the knife in, lots of online stores have jacked the prices up :rolleyes: . I suppose there's another good thing to come out of this, you get to see which retailers you will use in future by their behaviour now. Those that go out of their way to exploit desperate folk will go on many people's "shit list".

re. the travel ban, hope that doesn't affect you too much. I wouldn't be surprised if such a ban gets implemented sooner or later here.
Post automatically merged:

Oh and to lighten the mood....

A guy on a tractor just went past me shouting "The end of the world is nigh"

I think it was Farmer Geddon

:dead:

Ben Watkinson

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Darksi @Jamesl91 this sounds like the work of one of you!
well since im the only one of us 2 that actually drives tractors then it would be me even though it wasnt :D
Funnily enough I mentioned the cheap freezer thing to my brother but him and his girlfriend need one now and to stick the knife in, lots of online stores have jacked the prices up :rolleyes: . I suppose there's another good thing to come out of this, you get to see which retailers you will use in future by their behaviour now. Those that go out of their way to exploit desperate folk will go on many people's "shit list".

re. the travel ban, hope that doesn't affect you too much. I wouldn't be surprised if such a ban gets implemented sooner or later here.
Post automatically merged:

Oh and to lighten the mood....

A guy on a tractor just went past me shouting "The end of the world is nigh"

I think it was Farmer Geddon

:dead:
hahaha cluck thats bad but funny! also if they did, u could just rev the engine and be happy :D

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Something occurred to me a short while ago. If this pandemic has taught us anything it's that our greatest threat is not from an external menace - be it a country, a regime or even a virus itself - it's our own bloody stupidity.

Sure, there are pockets of common sense, some folk going WAY out of their way to help others. But the empty supermarket shelves, the shameless profiteering from some quarters seems to show that the sensible are the minority. Everybody I have spoken to cannot understand what is going on with the panic buying, yet it's still happening. Maybe it is just the stupid minority ruining it for everyone else, but they can't be buying ALL the food surely, nobody has THAT much storage space?

Our local pub/restaurant has shut its doors but is offering to deliver their food and beer instead. I wish I hadn't bought the Jag, because that sort of initiative is going to bankrupt me :D (their food is really quite exceptional :joyful:)

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I still don't understand the desperate need for every cleaning product known to man (or in this case, Tesco).
What did they all use before?! :eek:
Food I can kind of see why people panicked for, but... THE SHOPS AREN'T CLOSING. Deliveries are still taking place....
I normally buy food in bulk, IE, once a month with top ups for milk, bread &/or other perishables as required.
Can't do that anymore :rolleyes:

Ricardo

Staff Assetto Corsa
#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Apocalypse diary
Day:6
State of emergency here, only supermarkets/grocery stores and some more basic places(like gas stations and so) are open. Everything else is closed
Life now is work->buy cigarettes->home->repeat

Users who are viewing this thread