Upgrade advise? (1 Viewer)

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

As my rig (see signature) has come to a state, where just slapping on a new CPU doesn't give any benefit, I am wondering what route to go.

Intel is just rediculous wrt to their pricing, so I am looking at a Ryzen system right now. My GPU and my drives are still fine, so I'd need a new CPU/MoBo/RAM. Comparing the bechmarks, a Ryzen 1700 is just about 2-3% slower than a 2700, but it costs around 100€ less, so I'd rather go with the older gen. The X-versions also don't give me anything I need, as am not an overclocker, and also the TDP would be higher than with my old i5, and I don't like heating the cave too much :)

Any ideas/comments? The budget would be 400-600€.

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
I would wait If I was you. Ryzen 3xxx should arrive soon (june/july). Dunno about prizes on the new ones, But the old ones Might even drop further In prizes when 3xxx launches. There Might even be some really solid used deals If you wanna go Down that route.

I am personally going to upgrade to Ryzen 3xxx.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If you're on a budget guess Ryzen is the way to go.

Just wanna point out that with 600€ you can also get a 9th gen 6 core Intel.

Intel 9400 200€ or up to 9600K 250€ (even if you don't overclock it has higher boost clocks out the box).

A good MoBo should be between 100-150€, depending what connectivity you need. I think they should run on a B360 chipset but don't quote me on that. The Z370/390 you'd only need if you want to OC, but even they are starting at 150€.

RAM is no difference to Ryzen, maybe even cheaper because Ryzen needs fast RAM, ideally dual rank to perform well. You can get 16GB 3000MHz from 100€.

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
I would wait If I was you. Ryzen 3xxx should arrive soon (june/july). Dunno about prizes on the new ones, But the old ones Might even drop further In prizes when 3xxx launches. There Might even be some really solid used deals If you wanna go Down that route.

I am personally going to upgrade to Ryzen 3xxx.
This.
Just want to add Ryzen 3xxx will be based on Zen 2 architecture. (successor of Zen = 1xxx, zen+ = 2xxx)

If you're on a budget guess Ryzen is the way to go.
Ryzen is the way whether you're on budget or not :troll:

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your input guys.

I read up on the upcoming Ryzen generation, and that seems to be the best bang for the buck. A decent version should be around 200$ (Ryzen 5 3600(X)), according to the latest leaks.

So, I'll wait and see what they come up with.

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your input guys.

I read up on the upcoming Ryzen generation, and that seems to be the best bang for the buck. A decent version should be around 200$ (Ryzen 5 3600(X)), according to the latest leaks.

So, I'll wait and see what they come up with.
Really good german side if you want to build it on your own.

fab. ICEMAN

Staff iRacing
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Really good german side if you want to build it on your own.
^Can only recommend that^

Already built two PCs out of recommendations from that forum. Just create a thread with your suggestions.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff @grobi0815 , thx for sharing. I am building PCs on my own for over 20 years already, and I tend to gradually upgrade the components instead of buying everything new every time. That's why I am only looking for a decent CPU/MoBo/RAM combo.
My case and my harddrives are not even a year old. My GTX1060 is playing everything to my liking (and I am absolutely not looking at VR at the moment, considering that it cost us some precious championship points in VEC already), my cooling is also fairly new and capable for the next AMD generation, so I have absolutely no need to build from scratch. ;)

grobi0815

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Interesting stuff @grobi0815 , thx for sharing. I am building PCs on my own for over 20 years already, and I tend to gradually upgrade the components instead of buying everything new every time. That's why I am only looking for a decent CPU/MoBo/RAM combo.
My case and my harddrives are not even a year old. My GTX1060 is playing everything to my liking (and I am absolutely not looking at VR at the moment, considering that it cost us some precious championship points in VEC already), my cooling is also fairly new and capable for the next AMD generation, so I have absolutely no need to build from scratch. ;)
I'm doing it the same way, but I'm always using this site because the components always fits together, especially CPU, mainboard and RAM. That's what I'm looking for.
My actual CPU is a Ryzen 1700x and I'm thinking of an upgrade to the 3000, too.

Last edited:

JetPistol

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I'd wait for Ryzen 3000 series since 2000 series will then drop in prices giving you even more options. Make sure you go for decent RAM (3000+ MHz) in case you decide for AMD:

If you go for an Intel CPU better avoid i5 with 4 cores / 4 threads configuration since there are many applications (and games) which already profit from more than 4 threads. But from my pov it wouldn't make much sense to swap your current CPU for a newer gen - the performance gain is just too small unless you get a i7-5775c or i7-4790K. Latest CPUs won't help you in iRacing, though...

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I'd wait for Ryzen 3000 series since 2000 series will then drop in prices giving you even more options. Make sure you go for decent RAM (3000+ MHz) in case you decide for AMD:

If you go for an Intel CPU better avoid i5 with 4 cores / 4 threads configuration since there are many applications (and games) which already profit from more than 4 threads. But from my pov it wouldn't make much sense to swap your current CPU for a newer gen - the performance gain is just too small unless you get a i7-5775c or i7-4790K. Latest CPUs won't help you in iRacing, though...

View attachment 6403
Glad I am not doing iRacing then :p
Yeah an upgrade to my current MoBo would be totally useless and overpriced. Ryzen 3xxx it'll be, with PC3200 RAM at least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread