rFactor 2 VLMS - S3 - Round 2 - Road Atlanta (1 Viewer)

VLMS - S3 - Round 2 - Road Atlanta
Posted by Tom
rFactor2
Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 15:00
Until: Saturday, October 20, 2018 - 22:00
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

rFactor 2

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score

Original Thread: https://forum.simracing.club/index.php?threads/round-2-road-atlanta.8153/

Race date: 20. October
Race Length: 1000 Miles (394 laps)
Simulated Race Start Time: 14:00
Time accelerated: x1
Weather: Live weather

Race schedule (CEST):
14:55 - Server reboot
15:00 - Open practice (ensure only STARTING driver is on the server)
15:55 - All cars must be on the server
16:00 - 16:20 - LMGT Q (5 min break)
16:25 - 16:45 - LMP2 Q
16:45 - Warmup
16:55 - Start of formation lap - formation lap under pitlimiter
17:00 - Green flag, when YOU exit T12

Classes: LM-P2, and GT-LM

rFactor 2: Latest Build
Liveview and FLT:
Coming soon
Event on facebook: Click here
Flag rules: Black only
Broadcast: Yes

Please review the rules before joining the server for the race.

Orange Zone: In effect through first full lap

1539168987165.png

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Finally a fun circuit :D will do a few laps tonight testing(@Darksi not the "short practice" of last time resulting in 100laps in 2-3hrs) :D :D

Reactions: Tom

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I will be up on for practicing this one aswell. Looking forward to helping with this one.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Love is in the air <3

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
WIP porker setup over here: https://revolutionsimracing.com/resources/porsche-911-gt-lm-road-atlanta.184/ I'm pretty happy with it, will do some full stints tomorrow and see if there's any issues.

Some notes from today's session:
  • We should be able to double stint softs without much drama. Tyre wear on softs is something like 30-35% over a stint (estimated).
  • Fuel usage (race map 3) is just under 2.1 L = 43-ish lap stint. Save 0.1 a lap and we can go an extra lap or 2?
  • Early race pace on softs is mid 17's on new tyres, eventually stabilising to mid/low 18's. My longest run ended on lap 14 with a spin at T5.
  • The car seems to behave well on low fuel too, not much of the long lazy slides we've had at other circuits - I think this may be because the car is under compression at all of the critical corners around here, namely T1, the esses, and the final turn.
  • T5 exit curb has a cut track hidden somewhere. It's also easy to spin on the wider exit curbs, so try to cut the apex more than run wide to be safe.
  • Curbing on left inbetween T6 & 7 can be slippery, don't brake on it!
  • P2 divebombs in the final turn are not fun.

Last edited:

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
  • Fuel usage (race map 3) is just under 2.1 L = 43-ish lap stint. Save 0.1 a lap and we can go an extra lap or 2?
Would make sense to try and go for 44 lap stints, if you can stretch it. Race will be 395 laps including formation. 43 laps per stint mean 9.19 stints for the race, 44 laps are only 8.98. Would save you guys a pitstop :)

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Shame Its not 395 laps for each class :confused: Us GT cars will be lapped quite a few times so It's hard to say how many laps we will do.

@Blue Monkey @Elodyr any idea what race pace at the front of P2 will be?
If we use the Petit Lemans as an example, give it 10-15laps and we will start being lapped by LMP2

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Ah sure sorry, calculated on P2 basis, doh :facepalm:

Calculating with a 1.08 pace for LMP2 would give about 350 laps for you. Would still favor 44 lap stints and again save one stop (7.95 to 8.14 stints). But you're right its very theoretical, would be interesting to know how far off I am :)

The LMP2s will probably not hold that pace and then it's irrelevant if you do 43 or 44 :bookworm:

Last edited:

Blue Monkey

Reaction score

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It's never simple is it? :p

Also, that rain forecast isn't going away :oops:
Yeah but it’s kinda fun. Yes I sometimes have a strange definition of fun ;)

When it rains that calculation is completely useless anyway

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
WIP porker setup over here: https://revolutionsimracing.com/resources/porsche-911-gt-lm-road-atlanta.184/ I'm pretty happy with it, will do some full stints tomorrow and see if there's any issues.

Some notes from today's session:
  • We should be able to double stint softs without much drama. Tyre wear on softs is something like 30-35% over a stint (estimated).
  • Early race pace on softs is mid 17's on new tyres, eventually stabilising to mid/low 18's. My longest run ended on lap 14 with a spin at T5.
  • The car seems to behave well on low fuel too, not much of the long lazy slides we've had at other circuits - I think this may be because the car is under compression at all of the critical corners around here, namely T1, the esses, and the final turn.
  • T5 exit curb has a cut track hidden somewhere. It's also easy to spin on the wider exit curbs, so try to cut the apex more than run wide to be safe.
  • Curbing on left inbetween T6 & 7 can be slippery, don't brake on it!
  • P2 divebombs in the final turn are not fun.

We had a good session yesterday. Could dip into high 16' / low 17' but I think this race will be all about surviving. The lapping will be hilarious, especially some crazy LMP2 drivers who are thinking they can do it everywhere...

Today will be practice session 2, super keen!

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
So yesterday I did 1 and a half stints (thanks to a P2 that put me in the wall) on a single set of soft tyres, and I don't foresee issues with their longevity. I struggled with the first 5/6 laps of the second stint with the heavier fuel load, lapping around 1.5 seconds off the earlier pace at that fuel load (missing that fresh tyre edge), but lap times soon came back within half a second of the earlier pace once the fuel came down and I adjusted to the lower grip available. At the end of a stint, the car was a little edgy, like it was running 3 on the rear wing (I was on 4) - not dangerous though.

Assuming you get a clear run without any traffic or issues (virtually no chance at all!) It takes 37 seconds to change tyres; with a 43/44 lap stint that means you'll need to be on average no more than 8-9 tenths slower than if you were on new tyres. On paper I think double stinting tyres should be just a little quicker; however...
I think this race will be all about surviving. The lapping will be hilarious, especially some crazy LMP2 drivers who are thinking they can do it everywhere...
...considering how nuts traffic and battling is going to be, lap times are going to be all over the place, so the pace difference could be moot. I think the additional track position advantage from getting out of the pits sooner would be worth it alone, putting pressure on those chasing on new rubber to make more mistakes.

Also coming back to fuel, it's not clear how long the race will be for the GT cars, so going a lap or 2 longer on fuel may or may not be worth it. If you want to try it, I found lifting and coasting just before the cones before T1, and just before 200m for the chicane would be enough to get me under 2 litres a lap consistently. This would leave you vulnerable for the chicane though, so you might want to lift somewhere between the esses and T5 where people can't pass you - although this threw off my judgement too much though. Fuel map 2 is not much different than 3, you maybe save 0.01/2 with negligible pace loss.

And finally, the rain forecast isn't going away, so it would be wise to do some wet running...

Darksi

Manager of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Also coming back to fuel, it's not clear how long the race will be for the GT cars,

Myself and James did some rough calculations last night and based on the lmp's doing a 1.08 rough time for a 1000 mile race your looking at 7.4 hours of racing. If I can get an accurate time for the lmp i can do the calculations and let you know what i find.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Myself and James did some rough calculations last night and based on the lmp's doing a 1.08 rough time for a 1000 mile race your looking at 7.4 hours of racing. If I can get an accurate time for the lmp i can do the calculations and let you know what i find.
well...you did! :D.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Important notice!

Screenshot_20181018-120025.jpg

Tom

Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score