VR headsets (1 Viewer)

Jaco P.

Community Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time no see.. :)
Recently I've finally sorted my "real-life" stuff and finally put my "sim-rig" back to work and slowly getting back into racing and interested in buying a solid VR.

In the mean time I've seen that there are quite few VR products available and I've been trying to figure out which of these VR headsets are the best (especially for sim-racing).
What I've learned so far is that there are currently these options:
- Oculus Rift S
- Oculus Quest
- HTC Vive
- Valve Index
- HP Reverb
- Samsung Odyssey

.. and probably more..

So what is your take on these and what is your go-to choice for VR (considering price-performance factor mostly)?

I guess if I can find some good black Friday deal that would be the best option to grab one atm.

Thanks!

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Price/Performance Rift S no doubt. The Oculus Software is miles ahead of Steam VR and you get the complete package for 450€. What you will need is an aftermarket sound solution (e.g. headphones that fit over the halo head strap, or ear buds) because the build in speakers are shit.

If you only do sim racing/sitting VR, you can consider the Valve Index with only one base station. That's about 700€ instead of 1080€ for the complete package. The Index is the slightly better headset but also comes with a performance penalty compared to the rift.

Jaco P.

Community Member
Reaction score
Hey, tnx for the info so far.

What about Rift S vs. Oculus Quest? Any experiences with these?

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Price/Performance Rift S no doubt. The Oculus Software is miles ahead of Steam VR and you get the complete package for 450€. What you will need is an aftermarket sound solution (e.g. headphones that fit over the halo head strap, or ear buds) because the build in speakers are shit.

If you only do sim racing/sitting VR, you can consider the Valve Index with only one base station. That's about 700€ instead of 1080€ for the complete package. The Index is the slightly better headset but also comes with a performance penalty compared to the rift.
@Puffpirat do you notice any performance impact between the Oculus and Oculus S. even though I have a 1080Ti I struggle sometimes in PC2 with VR performance. As much as I would love a visual upgrade, if it comes with additional performance penalties I don't think I could do it.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I felt like the 80Hz made up for the resolution increase. I even ran higher gfx setting with the S, but I was probably too conservative with the og rift.

exiges

Community Member
Reaction score
I had a DK2 and a CV1 but couldn’t live with the low resolution, and worse, the screen door effect.

I waited until a VR headset came along that addressed this and bought an HP Reverb (v2). 4K per eye, 90hz and zero screen door effect.

Highly recommended .. and HP dropped the price to £430 for Black Friday

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
What you will need is an aftermarket sound solution (e.g. headphones that fit over the halo head strap, or ear buds) because the build in speakers are shit.

Christmas brought me a Rift S :cool:. I'm not partcularly bothered by the sound quality, but still being able to be on teamspeak when my VR headset is not on is a must. Anyone with Rift S able to suggest some headsets with mics that go over the top easily? I'm guessing its got to be full cans or earbuds?

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Christmas brought me a Rift S :cool:. I'm not partcularly bothered by the sound quality, but still being able to be on teamspeak when my VR headset is not on is a must. Anyone with Rift S able to suggest some headsets with mics that go over the top easily? I'm guessing its got to be full cans or earbuds?
I think i would search for the most comfortable earbuds or something. Full headset can be heavy incl a rift i dont know if you got a thick neck ;):p

UnstopaPaul

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I think i would search for the most comfortable earbuds or something. Full headset can be heavy incl a rift i dont know if you got a thick neck ;):p
finding some with a good mic that doesn't pick up the rig would probably be the challenge

Mark

Community Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a turtle beach set that fit over the rift S quite well. Not had any complaints on the mic front either.
I can check the model number later if they’re something you might consider.

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I used to wear a pair of Kingston HyperX Cloud headsets over my original Rift DK2. The headphones were light enough to add no real significant weight and from what I gather, the latter Rift headsets are lighter than the DK2, so it should be a good fit. That said, I don't know what the head straps are like on the Rift S, so maybe it won't be OK. Not really a lot of help actually, in hindsight I should have kept quiet. Carry on. Nothing to see here!

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Found these with Sennheiser hd25 drivers, anyone having experience with these? No mic included though
Modicap soundkit
Produced and sold by Kabetec.de
modicap_rift_s_quest_kopfhoerer.jpg

Last edited:

Havocc

RSR Academy
Reaction score

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I've been running a Pimax 8K for a good while now. Absolutely love it, the wide FOV is an absolute revelation and I find it very claustrophobic going back to my CV1 now, software has improved massively over time and the clarity is very good. At some point I will replace it with the 8K+ but I want to get another couple of years and upgrade my GPU to get more out of it . i5 8600k @ 4.6GHz + 1080Ti ... I know I can get better visuals but I'm skipping the 20xx cards and hoping for a good jump in performance.

FuBii

RSR Academy
Reaction score
Haven't gotten into VR yet but from my meagre knowledge, that pimax 5K XR looks pretty ideal for most from this, though the 5k super with 180hz refresh sounds lush:
1587039726942.png

MelBonkers

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Haven't gotten into VR yet but from my meagre knowledge, that pimax 5K XR looks pretty ideal for most from this, though the 5k super with 180hz refresh sounds lush:
View attachment 8800
I just read in another thread that @Havocc actually bought one! I still have a Pimax on my wishlist. But for now the Index will just do fine :-D

Users who are viewing this thread