PC2 Resolved Welcome Back! - Incident 3 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
Steward
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
Date: 24th Sept 2017
Event:Race 2 TCR welcome back event
Members Involved: @Alex du Plessis @Eugene Flerko

Description: Coming onto the back straight i noticed 2 cars heading off into the barrier, From the replays Eugene, appeared to run Oki out of room on the exit of the corner while being behind him. This then sent them both into a spin, I then collided with Oki which sent me slamming into the barrier causing front suspension damage and engine issues. Oki ending up on his side as a result of contact with me. There was nothing i could do to avoid him due to the speed i was travelling.
This ruined both our races.

I wouldn't normally make a stewards enquiry but due to the severe lack of awareness and the handling of Pcars2 i feel this was a dangerous and un-necessary move to make.

I believe this move was in breach of:
"1.2.1 - As the chasing car, it is your responsibility to avoid contact with the car in front. The following types of manoeuvres are prohibited:
  • Bump drafting in general
  • Forcing a driver to exceed the track limits
  • Dive bombing into corners"
This is not the sort of driving we expect in RSR and yes...its a new game and everything is fairly new but its not something i would expect to see.

Evidence: https://www.dropbox.com/s/36bewu9kp9ae8qz/stewards enquiry.mp4?dl=0

Eugene Flerko

Reaction score
Steam
View
From my perspective there was no divebombing nor pressing opponent out of track.
As you can see from the video below, when I started the turn Oki was still behind me, however as he was faster, he decided to overtake me outside. Having the in-game spotter and proximity indicators on I was still unaware of Oki's presence on my left side (obviously they don't work most time in MP).
You can also clearly see that all the time we were through this corner Oki was in my blindspot: rearview mirror shows Manu's car. The only moment when I could see Oki's car is the very moment of impact.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf3uhidh4sucsi2/Project CARS 2 27.SEP.2017 - 01.47.55.mp4?dl=0

If stewards think that this accident is my fault, I won't argue.

Alex du Plessis

Reaction score
Steam
View
Eugene:
Looking at all the footage here I have the following to say, firstly I passed on the outside of the corner and from what evidence there is I kept on my line and remembering at the time having looked to see where Eugene was and also seen that there was another car off to the left I had no choice but to keep my line. Next thing I know I got tail swiped and spun out of control. I took no offence to what happened and still take no offence as my game crashed shortly afterwards. What is noticeable from the video is that when you say I was in your blind spot I disagree as not once were you even looking to see where other cars were. By this I mean you did not look left or right had you done this you would have clearly seen me. I am by no means the perfect driver but one thing I know is that situational awareness is of paramount importance. So have a quick look left and right when in close proximity is by far more important than relying on the games ability to tell you where your opponents are. Also crewchief comes to mind as well and would suggest that you get it as this will let you know as well where the other competitors are. Please do understand that by no means do I suggest any malice here just pointing out mistakes which I saw from my side and letting you know what you could do to avoid them in future. Just being helpful makes more sense than trying to break you down.

James:
From my point of view James there was no malice intended here and Eugene made a mistake which yes sure was avoidable but also remember we all learn from our mistakes. In what you described above and what can be seen on the footage Eugene did punt me but due to lack of visibility according to Eugene. The only case in question of the rules I see as you stated above
is As the chasing car, it is your responsibility to avoid contact with the car in front, I felt I was not pushed over to the left and ran out of road but had enough room on the outside, I suppose I could also given a little more room by moving even more to the left but then again it was racing and we race to have fun. One thing I can point out from looking at your perspective you take evasive action at the last second and maybe I am wrong but from what I can see as soon as the incident happened you never slowed down. This is just something I see and not meant to offend you. I do not think anyone is really to blame for what happened and it was just something that could of being avoided but was not.

Conclusion:
I believe that under the circumstances that Eugene was at fault to a point but this was not a problem that we can say that he intentionally tried to take me out. This could have been avoided with more situational awareness from all parties involved. I also think under the circumstances that it is not always possible to think of everything when we are racing and we make mistakes and we hopefully learn from these mistakes.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
Steward
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
I take your point Alex, for me at the time it looked like you were both heading to the barriers and with the new handling physics of the game I wasn’t expecting you to roll back onto the track. It did make for an interesting replay though!

Having seen both points of view now it looks like pure accident. Just best to remember on lap 1 u can always assume u can take the racing line, so always best to leave a bit of a gap.

Last edited:

Eugene Flerko

Reaction score
Steam
View
What is noticeable from the video is that when you say I was in your blind spot I disagree as not once were you even looking to see where other cars were. By this I mean you did not look left or right had you done this you would have clearly seen me.
Alex, you're absolutely right about necessity to look for any threat in the corner, however in situation like this simple "Eugene, I'm taking you on your left" could be really helpful.

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
Steward
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
Alex, you're absolutely right about necessity to look for any threat in the corner, however in situation like this simple "Eugene, I'm taking you on your left" could be really helpful.
We normally say if we are to the left of right but equally it’s all our responsibility to have clean races. I don’t believe there was any intent to cause a crash, but it was worth noting as a learning experience. We all have days like this but we learn from them. So no hard feelings towards you both!!

Eugene Flerko

Reaction score
Steam
View
No hard feelings towards you guys neither! :)

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Moved to stewards.

RSR Admin

Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Having reviewed the footage provided by all members involved, the Stewards deem this a racing incident and have decided to take no further action.

We would, however, like to remind @Eugene Flerko to be especially aware of his surroundings on the opening lap of a race and the possibility of opponents making overtaking maneuvers outside of his vision. We highly recommend using the CrewChief spotter to assist in situations such as these and prevent incidents like this occurring in the future.

We would also like to remind @jamesl91 of section 1.1.2 of our Driving Standards:

"You should, at all times, try to avoid any intentional contact during our events. We understand that a degree of contact is inevitable but, this must always be kept to a minimum, even if you have to compromise your race to do so."

We believe contact with @Alex du Plessis may have been avoided had @jamesl91 slowed down upon witnessing the incident occurring ahead.

Finally, as a note to all drivers involved, please when posting in the steward room simply state your view on the incident and any required evidence and leave any decision-making or driver coaching to the stewards.

Are you all happy to release this publicly? If one refuses the thread will stay hidden, please leave a reply in here.

@jamesl91 @Alex du Plessis @Eugene Flerko

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
Steward
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Steam
View
Happy for this to be public.

I understand your comments however in the moment it appeared to me that both drivers were heading off to the right into the barrier/grass hence i didn't slow as i believed the track was going to stay clear. Your comments are noted and I will be more vigilant during an incident.

Eugene Flerko

Reaction score
Steam
View
I don't mind if it goes public or stays hidden

Alex du Plessis

Reaction score
Steam
View
This can be closed and am happy with the outcome and understanding of all involved and can made public if the admins feel it correct to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)