Wheel advice (1 Viewer)

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I actually have the Fanatec CSL with the P1 wheel. I have no Problem with that - only to few buttons.
So what would you recommend?
A button box? Or for example the Formula V2 wheel from Fanatec? Or the mclaren?
I‘m racing with VR, so i think a wheel with more buttons would be better.
Budget wise lets say the V2 is at the max i think.

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The Formula v2 is amazing and looks great (only matters when not racing in VR though xD). The Macca rim is great value for money but has less buttons and rotaries. On the v2 the 12 position switches can work as rotaries too, which makes it a total of five. The v2 is also of much higher quality. The Macca has a slightly nicer size (30 vs 27cm) and is 200g lighter. The grips are a thing of taste, I like the meatier ones of the Formula rim, but use both with gloves.

I'd say the additional 120€ is a good investment.

PatatorJohn

RSR Academy
Reaction score
I have to confess I can't restrain a smile when I see how elaborated those rigs are.

You guys are insane to invest into all that. Maybe I'll do the same once :D

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I have to confess I can't restrain a smile when I see how elaborated those rigs are.
View attachment 7055

You guys are insane to invest into all that. Maybe I'll do the same once :D
So hyped to get 1 of these beats. think that might have to be a present to myself for the autumn

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Yeah it’s a bit overkill, thats why i ask if its worth or if there are other ideas.

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Get a wireless numpad and use that as a button box. Super cheap workaround :)

amazon link

Alex Salmon

Community Member
Reaction score
The formula v2 wheel rim is epic!

The best solution for it - like all Fanatech stuff is just become really good at imagining decimal points, for example:
£300 looks bad right? But all you do it add a . aaaand...

£3.00 Perfect!

Seriously though this is how i convinced myself to get my new stuff and I have 0 regrets :D

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Choices.....choices.....choices.. saving money to go Fanatec Clubsport all the way by the end of this year.
I like the shape of the v2, but I prefer the color scheme of this one, and it has leather grips instead of alcantara so no gloves needed. With VR I won't see the wheel and easy finding buttons is more important... but for that kind of money I want something that looks good. Buttonbox without rotaries doesn't seem a good alternative to me in VR and less realistic.
Go for the best you can afford, you only live once!

Last edited:

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It looks like the F1 2019 Edition wins in my case.
Thanks.

Today i had a small tour at the Sauber engineering factory. Just amazing. And i could hold the real F1 Wheel from 2018 in my hands. I hope i‘m not disappointed then from the Fanatec. :p

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
It looks like the F1 2019 Edition wins in my case.
Thanks.

Today i had a small tour at the Sauber engineering factory. Just amazing. And i could hold the real F1 Wheel from 2018 in my hands. I hope i‘m not disappointed then from the Fanatec. :p
you will have to let us know how they compare!

Nakor

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
you will have to let us know how they compare!
Now I got the Fanatec F1 Wheel and I think i can say it's like expected. Feels good all the way. The buttons and especially the function switches are great.
The Thumb-wheels are a bit too loose, but I don't need to use them ;)

To compare to the 'real' F1 Wheel, the buttons feel almost like a toy. The function Switches I remember a bit similar. But however, I have no live comparison, so it's just a feeling. And in the end it doesn't matter, i like my fanatec wheels :)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
Now I got the Fanatec F1 Wheel and I think i can say it's like expected. Feels good all the way. The buttons and especially the function switches are great.
The Thumb-wheels are a bit too loose, but I don't need to use them ;)

To compare to the 'real' F1 Wheel, the buttons feel almost like a toy. The function Switches I remember a bit similar. But however, I have no live comparison, so it's just a feeling. And in the end it doesn't matter, i like my fanatec wheels :)

Damn you! ;)

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
What the heck... you only live once ... order is on it's way :p

Wanted to go for the F1 wheel at first ... but since @Nakor ordered the last one in stock :banghead:;)
So will have to get me some Sparco Meca III gloves as well to protect the alcantara

FanatecOrder.PNG

Last edited:

Jamesl91

Staff rFactor 2
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
What the heck... you only live once ... order is on it's way :p

Wanted to go for the F1 wheel at first ... but since @Nakor ordered the last one in stock :banghead:;)
So will have to get me some Sparco Meca III gloves as well to protect the alcantara

View attachment 7877
The V2 wheel is so nice!

kobusnell

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@The Breeze I'm so jealous. Epic.
I wish Fanatec shipped to South Africa. No legitimate way to get kit.

In the mean time, I'm doing what I can with what I have... Not quite the same though.
IMG-20190811-WA0001.jpeg

The Breeze

Social Media
RSR Academy
Reaction score
@The Breeze I'm so jealous. Epic.
I wish Fanatec shipped to South Africa. No legitimate way to get kit.

In the mean time, I'm doing what I can with what I have... Not quite the same though.
View attachment 7879
Sorry to read that... maybe someone from abroad can forward a shipment to you? Or start a Fanatec dealership in SA yourself?
Or maybe Amazon is an option?

Admirable how quick and consistent you are with the Logitech equipment, that surely is something that makes me jealous.
But it also shows that better equipment will be a larger improvement for you than it will be for me.
How I see things: You can buy the best tennis racket in the world, but if you can't play tennis, it is of no use. On the other hand, if you are a great tennis player, a small improvement on your gear, can make a huge improvement.

I hope the Fanatec gear will improve my consistency, was tired of spinning because of tire wear and losing 10 positions during the race doing so.
It takes a lot of concentration with my Logitech G29 to keep the car on track when on the limit, hopefully with the Fanatec I get better in and output from wheel and pedals and will also provide me a steeper learning curve.

Received the Fanatec boxes 3 days ago, but I'm on a roll with my G29 atm, improving a lot on lap times... so will wait another couple of days before I swap equipment. Fun things first :D

Was watching fab.ICEMAN on twitch with his new rig and Fanatec DD1 + Formula V2, he already had the CSP pedals .... seems to take a lot of time to get used to a new setup.

Last edited:

Born2BSlow

Community Member
Reaction score
I'm still in waiting mode on a wheel upgrade. The old T500 is still a good wheel, T3pa Pros with loadcell kit are fine. I backed FeelVR and have been in limbo ever since, the latest is that the pedals will ship in the spring of 2020, no news on the wheel...I hope they deliver so that I don't lose my money, but it's too late to get it back now if they don't.

I've been looking at the alternatives in case FeelVR never appears, plug and play is a big tick for me too, that means Accuforce pro v2 kit or Fanatec DD. Either way pedals will be extra. I have most of the funds saved and ready to go when I know one way or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread