Which rim? (1 Viewer)

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all of you, my pixel petrolhead fellows!

So it looks like Santa didn't forget about me, and I have the choice to buy a new Fanatec rim for my rig.

Price wise there are only two options:
The McLarenGT3 or the Clubsport F1 Esports, so I'd like to ask for advice which one would be the better choice.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff[NL]

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
I personally dont have any Fanatec rim yet but from what i have read and such the McLaren isnt really that good. Most people have issues with the QR from plastic or a not so strong material. I would do some research and watch some videos on youtube or something. Merry Christmas !

m4nu

Head of RSR
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
The McLaren rim can't be bought with the plastic QR anymore. It has now from stock the metal QR which solves the problems. Got it myself, can't complain :)

Puffpirat

RSR Family
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Value for money definitely the McLaren rim. It has a lot more functionality than the esports rim and with 30cm a nice middleground diameter.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Thx for your input guys. I will probably order the McLaren... I was wondering that nobody said something about the F1 wheel until I recognised it is still a pre-order item :banghead:, not available before end of march.

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
Guys, what is your experience with the P1 elite rim?

I'm looking to join the fanatec family, but am unsure what to to buy. (Well, i know what i would want in the perfect world, but €'s add up so quickly at the fanatec page, that you have to be a bit reasonabale. :))

I'm looking into
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
CSL Elite Pedals + LCK
CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1

That's around 880 with postage. What do you think?

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
Guys, what is your experience with the P1 elite rim?

I'm looking to join the fanatec family, but am unsure what to to buy. (Well, i know what i would want in the perfect world, but €'s add up so quickly at the fanatec page, that you have to be a bit reasonabale. :))

I'm looking into
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
CSL Elite Pedals + LCK
CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1

That's around 880 with postage. What do you think?

I Got the P1 rim and tbh I am not a fan. :/

My Formula Black feels 10x better.

Noztra

Community Member
Reaction score
Get the McLaren rim instead. :)

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
Any specific reasons you don't like the P1 (talking about the elite version). One downside i can see is that it doesn't have any interior shaker motors (mclaren has them?). How does that affect the feel?

Marvin

Community Member
Reaction score
Any specific reasons you don't like the P1 (talking about the elite version). One downside i can see is that it doesn't have any interior shaker motors (mclaren has them?). How does that affect the feel?

McLaren rim doesn't have the rumble motors either. Tho I don't believe it's a game changing feature. McLaren rim feels great, even without the rumble motors.

JetPistol

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Aside from the build quality you should search your habits and decide whether you focus on cars that have a fullsize steering wheel or a modern style formula rim. As @Marvin said, rumble motors can't be considered a key aspect regarding feedback. This isn't (real) value added to the product from my pov.

I got the regular Fanatec Formula rim which I converted with a Teensy controller and custom firmware for standalone use and it's functionalities and haptics were great. Sadly I had to sell it because it lacked ergonomics for my liking (handgrips were too thick and not ergonomically shaped). In this regard - and in case you prefer vehicles that have formula style rims - the McLaren rim could be your choice since it basically offers pretty much the same functions as the regular Formula rim but also comes with analog clutch/throttle/brake paddles attached and the handgrips are ergonomically shaped. I also think - from a subjective standpoint - the sturdy rubberized polymer surface for the handgrips beats suede leather hands down. The rocker-type shifter paddles also are plus compared to the regular Formula rim. That is because you can up- und downshift with one hand to have the other free for adjusting stuff on the straight (...).

On a side note, trade in the CSL Elite pedals for the CSP V3 if the budget allows for it. The pedalarms of the CSL are very large, not adjustable and - depending on how you mount these - your ankles will always be in a steep angle which could possibly affect your level of control in a negative way. Also the pedal faces are not adjustable which means your foot size either matches exactly or not. See how suboptimal (and silly) it can be if you have small feet (from 16:29, 18:35 and 19:26):

/off topic: VERY LITTLE (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) FLEX from 20:33 :dead::smuggrin:

Last edited:

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
Beside modern cars, I also enjoy vintage cars with H-shifting, so a shifter and a clutch is a must for. For the shifter I went with the SHH shifter (alredy ordered), which looks like it has the best bang for the buck. The pedals I have decided for the CSL elite with LCK.

So that only leaves the base and the rim. I'm undecided here. :/
- CSL is the cheaper option (XB version is cheaper, but the PS4 has the position sensor in better position - the difference in practice is probably unnoticable?)
- CSW 2.5 is the ultimate choice, but it's more expensive. Is ti worth it over the CSL?

I'm gonna try to go for a bundle (much cheaper), so it's probably gonna be a P1 rim (for now). Only other affordable bundle with a rim has a Formula 1 Esports rim.

Jomba

Community Member
Reaction score
Ok, did some more research (it's my sick day, so i got some spare time). Looks like the P1 does not have the quick release and the connection is not as rigid. Not so fond of the P1 now. :/

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
I have been using the P1 (non-elite) for over a year now, and didn't have any problems. Of course it's not as high-end as the other stuff, but it does its job quite fine, I think. With your chosen combination of wheel base and pedal-set there is no bundle, so I could offer you my P1 rim for a fair price, as I don't feel like I'll ever put that back on the base after upgrading to the McLaren.

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
@Shepard My Mclaren rim broke within 4 days :-(

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score

Stokemon

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
How? What? Why?

Upshift stopped registering as a button press, sometimes does, more often not. No clear obvious reason why, I was just playing and then couldn't upshift.

Michael

#TeamRSR
Community Member
Reaction score
Upshift stopped registering as a button press, sometimes does, more often not. No clear obvious reason why, I was just playing and then couldn't upshift.
Yeah I read about that problem in the Fanatec forum. Did you send it back?

Users who are viewing this thread