Windows 10 Shafts My System (1 Viewer)

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
F***ing great.

Windows 10 update last night and now the PC won't boot at all.

CatchAGlimpse

#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Sounds about right for a Windows 10 update :dead: add me on steam if you need any assistance with anything.

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Where does it get stuck?
M$ lol

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Where does it get stuck?
M$ lol
^^^ what he said. Where does it fall over? Does it get stuck, does it reboot, what's actually happening?

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
First of all it booted to the login screen, but when I logged in it said that WDfilter.sys had failed to load, so I shut it down and rebooted, then it wouldn't get as far as the login screen.

Now it says press F1 to reconfigure.

I know diddly squat about PC's lol

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
If it's stuck there then it sounds more like a hardware fault - most likely the hard drive. It's most likely that the update highlighted the fault rather than actually causing it (ie, it was going to fail imminently anyway).

EDIT : Couple of things to try:

1. Pull the power (or turn it off at the mains) and then hold the on/off button in for about 10 seconds. Then press the on/off button a few more times. Plug the power back in and see if it boots

2. Double-check all the internal connections for your hard drive(s) and CD drive(s). If in doubt, remove the connectors and reconnect them. Do them one at a time, and check them at both ends (ie, on the motherboard and PSU - if it's a modular PSU)

2scoops

RSR Family
Community Member
Reaction score
I've just turned it on again so I can tell you exactly what it is doing and the bloody thing has booted normally.

I've tried half a dozen times, how does that work?

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
^^^ been there, done that. I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to configure a client's laptop with a new VPN connection to their leased line. Worked a charm on my own PC, not on their laptop. Rebooted my router twice, amongst a million other things, no change. Phoned Cisco as a last resort and just as we were about start a packet trace, I rebooted my router again. Problem solved in an instant.

I'll leave you with the words of a clinical psychologist customer of mine:

"Sometimes, Cluck*, you can't explain things, those moments have to be chalked up as 'weird s**t'"

*no, he didn't call me Cluck!

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
Microsoft, Cisco...expect pain

Cluck

Super Moderator
Staff
#TeamRSR
Reaction score
Microsoft, Cisco...expect pain
It was actually going extremely smoothly until I came to set up the new VPN connection on this one laptop. It was just a bizarre fault in my router (despite it having been rebooted multiple times already, to test if it was that) so I'm giving both Microsoft and Cisco a free pass on this (and honestly, this new firewall is one of the easiest bits of kit you'll ever encounter). Anyhoo, the OP has resolved the problem so, unless there's any objection, I'll lock the thread :)

Hujkis

Community Member
Reaction score
It was actually going extremely smoothly until I came to set up the new VPN connection on this one laptop. It was just a bizarre fault in my router (despite it having been rebooted multiple times already, to test if it was that) so I'm giving both Microsoft and Cisco a free pass on this (and honestly, this new firewall is one of the easiest bits of kit you'll ever encounter). Anyhoo, the OP has resolved the problem so, unless there's any objection, I'll lock the thread :)
this new firewall?

Users who are viewing this thread